Time to Call Up Reimold

birdman57

I take it then that you think it's a slam dunk that Reimold will ace his 150 AB at Norfolk, or perhaps you feel he is ML ready now? Do you see any reason for bringing people along and exposing them to the next level when you feel they have a good chance to succeed or do you believe there is little difference between AA and ML, so perhaps Reimold is ready now based on his MLE's or whatever?:rolleyestf:

All you have done in this thread is crap on the opinions of others while making vague assumptions that have been explained to you.

Why not tell us why:

1) They aren't ready for the majors. Please use what was said in the thread by others and argue against it instead of insults and eye-rolls.

2) We shouldn't be willing to take a chance on bringing guys up who could contribute long-term (especially when in the short-term it is unlikely they would be considerably worse then those they would replace) in a year when we aren't going to compete.

We'll be waiting.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fiorentino was never going to be ready. Let's not act like calling him up early ruined what would've otherwise been a strong major league career. How do you know that the experience these guys got earlier in their careers didn't help them? Cabrera and Maine are doing just fine right now. Penn has been a case of bad luck and injuries as opposed to a guy who lost his confidence due to being rushed. As you correctly say, we're not contending this season, what better chance to give young guys the irreplaceable experience of learning against major leaguers as opposed to being cautious with them?

Do you think the people at Ford would sit down one day and say... "look - we just lost another billion dollars last month. We just hired this really smart kid who works in accounting in the Detroit plant. Let's bring him up here and let him run the show for awhile and see how he does."

If you are going to rebuild an organization, you do it the right way. That kid in accounting needs to work his way up through management before he can run his own show... right?

DCab would have benifited greatly form another year in the MiL's. He struggled for 3-4 years up here, and as optimistic as I am about him I have to say the jury is still out.

How can you definitively say he could've used another year in the minors? How do you know that the experience he got early in his career in the majors didn't help him? Surely, you'd have to agree that facing better hitters is better experience, right? In a season that is only about player development, why not reasonably give young guys a chance? I'm not saying send up anyone in the minors but Reimold could come up very soon and Weiters in a few months.

Fiorentino was never going to be ready. Let's not act like calling him up early ruined what would've otherwise been a strong major league career. How do you know that the experience these guys got earlier in their careers didn't help them? Cabrera and Maine are doing just fine right now. Penn has been a case of bad luck and injuries as opposed to a guy who lost his confidence due to being rushed. As you correctly say, we're not contending this season, what better chance to give young guys the irreplaceable experience of learning against major leaguers as opposed to being cautious with them?
It would seem that you don't think it's possible to bring a player up too soon. It's only a matter of weither their struggles would hurt the team's ability to contend and since we are not contending bring em up. Is that the idea? Or is there ever a situation were it might not be prudent in terms of their development to bring them up?

You are so right! And the fans here want us to continue that tradition. Good organizations do not bring up players before they are ready or unless they have no choice. Would the Red Sox, Braves, A's, etc. do it - no, they would not.

The Braves and Red Sox aren't rebuilding.

We need to find out if these players ARE ready for next year, and I would rather take the chance and do it THIS year then wait and hope.

Do you think the people at Ford would sit down one day and say... "look - we just lost another billion dollars last month. We just hired this really smart kid who works in accounting in the Detroit plant. Let's bring him up here and let him run the show for awhile and see how he does."

If you are going to rebuild an organization, you do it the right way. That kid in accounting needs to work his way up through management before he can run his own show... right?

There are lots of 30 something CEO's. And since Ford is has been hemerraging money for years...maybe thats not such a bad idea.

At least come up with an analogy that makes sense or fits the situation. Ford would obviously care about losing money whereas we shouldn't care about losing games this year.

How can you definitively say he could've used another year in the minors? How do you know that the experience he got early in his career in the majors didn't help him? Surely, you'd have to agree that facing better hitters is better experience, right? In a season that is only about player development, why not reasonably give young guys a chance? I'm not saying send up anyone in the minors but Reimold could come up very soon and Weiters in a few months.

You cant make a blanket statement like that because every player is different and they all have different mental make-up's. There are guys with short memories, and there are guys that will not recover mentally in certain situations. I know its easy to have no faith in the front office, we've been shown for 10 years they are pretty much inept, but they have made some excellent changes in the past year, and agree with the decisions or not, they are going to go forward with their plan and it doesnt necessarily make it wrong just because its not what you would do.

Well I for one would like to see Reimold get 100-150 AB's now in Norfolk against experienced pitchers, or pitchers on the cusp of being in the Major's to better gauge his new and improved plate discipline. I just dont get why hes still in Bowie, I'd rather he was in Norfolk now and if he hits well give him a call up in August. Remember, this is second stint in AA, he's 24 years old and its not like he's tearing the cover off the ball in AAA all season and is still sitting in the minors.

To be fair, his first stint was less than 200 AB's.

It would seem that you don't think it's possible to bring a player up too soon. It's only a matter of weither their struggles would hurt the team's ability to contend and since we are not contending bring em up. Is that the idea? Or is there ever a situation were it might not be prudent in terms of their development to bring them up?

Reimold isn't some 19 year old one year removed from HS. He's gonna be 25 this year! Boston just threw a couple of pitchers at us younger than that. I can see not bringing up Wieters this year, but how about moving him to Bowie to see if he can handle the challange? He's not a HS player either.

No, as I said earlier, you don't just arbitrarily send up any prospect in the minors. A guy like Reimold who is close may as well get a chance. He is hitting well over his last year at AA. We are rebuilding, we don't care about wins and losses, why not give him experience against the best in an effort to get him better prepared for next year?

At least come up with an analogy that makes sense or fits the situation. Ford would obviously care about losing money whereas we shouldn't care about losing games this year.

No - as I said earlier - losing games = losing money! That is why are attendance is where it is now. The O's have been the analogy that I gave for years now... Oh - let's sign any free agent that will play here or gosh, that kids looks pretty good in AA ball, let's bring him up here and let him play.

I have a funny feeling that you and Syd Thrift would have gotten along really well!

To be fair, his first stint was less than 200 AB's.

Yes, I had forgotten that, thanks for the heads up. My point was though, I wish he was in Norfolk like a month ago getting some AB's there, we'd have a much clearer image of what to expect by this point in the season, I suspect.

Yes, I had forgotten that, thanks for the heads up. My point was though, I wish he was in Norfolk like a month ago getting some AB's there, we'd have a much clearer image of what to expect by this point in the season, I suspect.

This is true, however you can't blame Reimold for this. He's certainly earned a promotion to at least AAA.

Archived