Time to Call Up Reimold

birdman57

As often as I have to wade through pedantic bombast or moronic drivel.:rolleyestf:

I wouldn't read any of your posts then.:) Seriously, just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean what they're saying is drivel. Especially when you're arguing with a couple people who appear to know way more about baseball than you. You keep saying that we're not in a pennant race as if that is justification for not playing young guys when it is just the opposite. This season is about development, not competing...why not lose with young guys who may be able to help us in the future as opposed to losing with old guys who won't? I'm not sure if Reimold is ready or not but to act like it's a ludicrous idea is silly. He's raking at AA, why not give him a shot? And the excuse that just because the team hasn't done it yet, so they must agree with you thing is tired.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't read any of your posts then.:) Seriously, just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean what they're saying is drivel. Especially when you're arguing with a couple people who appear to know way more about baseball than you. You keep saying that we're not in a pennant race as if that is justification for not playing young guys when it is just the opposite. This season is about development, not competing...why not lose with young guys who may be able to help us in the future as opposed to losing with old guys who won't? I'm not sure if Reimold is ready or not but to act like it's a ludicrous idea is silly. He's raking at AA, why not give him a shot? And the excuse that just because the team hasn't done it yet, so they must agree with you thing is tired.
It's not an excuse it's a simple fact. If the FO felt Reimold was ready, why wouldn't they bring him up. How hard is that to grasp. I'm happy that Reimold has improved his plate discipline at AA. ball. I am anxious to see if he can continue to do that at Norfolk. If he does then I will be looking forward to seeing him at OPACY. Why is that such a cotroversial or difficult position to understand. I don't think hitting well at AA ball automatically makes you ready for the ML. I would rather err on the side of caution with a player who has confidence issues, than rush him and have him be overmatched. Since we don't expect to contend why not be cautious.

While I can agree that the O's need to go younger and that the the current crop of Millar, Mora, Ramon needs to go sooner than later what many fans are asking for is organizational suicide.

As much as I want to see the likes of Reimold, Weiters, Tillman, Arrietta, etc. on the big league club, the casual fan who still makes up the majority of the attendance at OPACY probably can only recognize Weiters' name and that is it. Not that Mora and Millar are responsibility for drawing the crowds, but winning does.

And winning = increased attendance = higher revenues for the club = free agents and additional money for player development.

Why take the chance that younger players will have the same results. If it doesn't work out we will have a young, losing team that nobody except for the several thousand die hard fans will want to come out to OPACY to see them play.

"Nobody likes to hear it, because it's dull, but the reason you win or lose is darn near always the same - pitching." - Earl Weaver

It's not an excuse it's a simple fact. If the FO felt Reimold was ready, why wouldn't they bring him up. How hard is that to grasp. I'm happy that Reimold has improved his plate discipline at AA. ball. I am anxious to see if he can continue to do that at Norfolk. If he does then I will be looking forward to seeing him at OPACY. Why is that such a cotroversial or difficult position to understand. I don't think hitting well at AA ball automatically makes you ready for the ML. I would rather err on the side of caution with a player who has confidence issues, than rush him and have him be overmatched. Since we don't expect to contend why not be cautious.

The jump from AA to AAA isn't that big. He's not going to prove terribly much more by going there for a while. Since we don't expect to contend, we have the luxury of playing young guys and getting them better prepared for the future by exposing them to major league pitching earlier. I like the front office but let's not act like a major league front office is infallible. You've never disagreed with a decision the management of a team you follow has made? Automatically assuming a decision is correct because someone in charge has made it seems silly to me. Since we don't expect to contend, why be cautious?

While I can agree that the O's need to go younger and that the the current crop of Millar, Mora, Ramon needs to go sooner than later what many fans are asking for is organizational suicide.

As much as I want to see the likes of Reimold, Weiters, Tillman, Arrietta, etc. on the big league club, the casual fan who still makes up the majority of the attendance at OPACY probably can only recognize Weiters' name and that is it. Not that Mora and Millar are responsibility for drawing the crowds, but winning does.

And winning = increased attendance = higher revenues for the club = free agents and additional money for player development.

Why take the chance that younger players will have the same results. If it doesn't work out we will have a young, losing team that nobody except for the several thousand die hard fans will want to come out to OPACY to see them play.

"Nobody likes to hear it, because it's dull, but the reason you win or lose is darn near always the same - pitching." - Earl Weaver

You really think less people will show up if Mora, Millar and Ramon are gone? You really think we'll lose that much more if those mediocre veterans were gone? You're right, winning does bring in more money. We're not going to win with our veterans, why not bring up young guys who might actually be able to help us win in the future? Why not bring those who are ready (Reimold now, Weiters in a few months) and expedite the road to winning? I also disagree that we would win much more with our current vets as opposed to a couple more young guys. Our attendence is about as low as it will get. People don't come to see our crappy veterans but because they like watching baseball and/or like the Orioles. Why take the chance that the young guys will have the same results? If you think they'd have the same results, it seems even more silly to play the old guys who won't be here in the future as opposed to young guys who will improve and possibly help in the future.

The jump from AA to AAA isn't that big. He's not going to prove terribly much more by going there for a while. Since we don't expect to contend, we have the luxury of playing young guys and getting them better prepared for the future by exposing them to major league pitching earlier. I like the front office but let's not act like a major league front office is infallible. You've never disagreed with a decision the management of a team you follow has made? Automatically assuming a decision is correct because someone in charge has made it seems silly to me. Since we don't expect to contend, why be cautious?

You know this to be true, how? Can you show me some numbers to demonstrate the truth of this. How about the jump from AA to ML, is that equally negligible? The FO office is in a much better position to evaluate Reimold's readiness than you are, so while I could disagree with them about some things, I think I'll defer to their judgement over your's on this one.

The O's past management has a long history of making the right moves..so why would you ever question them.

The O's past management has a long history of making the right moves..so why would you ever question them.
As far as I know McPhail and Trembely haven't been part of the O's past management. If anything characterized the O's past management, it was bringing players up before they were ready. Maine, Penn, Cabrerra, Fio, etc.

As far as I know McPhail and Trembely haven't been part of the O's past management. If anything characterized the O's past management, it was bringing players up before they were ready. Maine, Penn, Cabrerra, Fio, etc.

Yea, and it ruined Maine. Looks like D-Cabs career was derailed by it as well.

You really think less people will show up if Mora, Millar and Ramon are gone? You really think we'll lose that much more if those mediocre veterans were gone? You're right, winning does bring in more money. We're not going to win with our veterans, why not bring up young guys who might actually be able to help us win in the future? Why not bring those who are ready (Reimold now, Weiters in a few months) and expedite the road to winning? I also disagree that we would win much more with our current vets as opposed to a couple more young guys. Our attendence is about as low as it will get. People don't come to see our crappy veterans but because they like watching baseball and/or like the Orioles. Why take the chance that the young guys will have the same results? If you think they'd have the same results, it seems even more silly to play the old guys who won't be here in the future as opposed to young guys who will improve and possibly help in the future.

Where have you been hiding? We have been winning with the vets that we have on the team. Yes, we are in the midst of a losing streak, but we have played more games at or above .500 this season than the past 2 years combined!

I don't think that we will have the same results - or MacPhail and company would have them playing on the big league club. I think you are taking a great chance that this team will bomb if you drastically go younger like you are wanting and once you go younger - you can't call Millar, Mora, Ramon and company back after you go through a 10-35 stretch and say we made a mistake. If you think that the casual fan will come out in 95 degree weather and watch that you are really mistaken.

Now, if this current team goes through a stretch like that than I agree with you because you really have nothing to lose. Until that time. you follow the plan. Develop your players until you feel they are ready. Replace the vets when they get injured or they stink up the joint (and I'm sorry - Millar, Mora, Huff do not fit into that category) and hopefully we will see a continued increase in attendance and revenues that we can use developing our international academies, free agents and minor league developement system

McPhail and Trembely did a wonerful job securing a SS for this year, and the decision to bring Trax back was gold. They never make mistakes, so why ever question them...they must be right.

Yea, and it ruined Maine. Looks like D-Cabs career was derailed by it as well.

DCab would have benifited greatly form another year in the MiL's. He struggled for 3-4 years up here, and as optimistic as I am about him I have to say the jury is still out.

Fiorentino was never going to be ready. Let's not act like calling him up early ruined what would've otherwise been a strong major league career. How do you know that the experience these guys got earlier in their careers didn't help them? Cabrera and Maine are doing just fine right now. Penn has been a case of bad luck and injuries as opposed to a guy who lost his confidence due to being rushed. As you correctly say, we're not contending this season, what better chance to give young guys the irreplaceable experience of learning against major leaguers as opposed to being cautious with them?

You are so right! And the fans here want us to continue that tradition. Good organizations do not bring up players before they are ready or unless they have no choice. Would the Red Sox, Braves, A's, etc. do it - no, they would not.

Well I for one would like to see Reimold get 100-150 AB's now in Norfolk against experienced pitchers, or pitchers on the cusp of being in the Major's to better gauge his new and improved plate discipline. I just dont get why hes still in Bowie, I'd rather he was in Norfolk now and if he hits well give him a call up in August. Remember, this is second stint in AA, he's 24 years old and its not like he's tearing the cover off the ball in AAA all season and is still sitting in the minors.

Archived