Buck Showalter for AL manager of the year?

vab

Seriously, if I told you after 60 games:

Tillman      8.01 ERA

Jiminez      6.66 ERA

Gausman  5.86 ERA

Britton out virtually all season

O'Day on the DL

Machado 70 points below his career BA

21 out of 60 games vs 1st place teams and 37 out of 60 vs teams over .500

You would think the club was way under .500 and probably in last place but they're still 2 games over .500 and holding the 2nd wild card. Who else could pull that off? 

Agree with you that it's pretty surprising we're still in moderate contention given our collection of individual performances. We do have a few guys outperforming expectations, but none wildly, and there have been several disasters from our most important players. Then you have the Yankees where Severino transformed into an ace overnight, Sabathia turned back the clock 5 years, Judge became the greatest power hitter on earth, Gregorius/Castro/Gardner are all posting the best OPS of their careers by wide margins, and their backup CF is OPSing over 1.000 in 48 games...

As for the award itself, given that the Astros may very well smash their way to 100 wins and the Yankees are getting all the performances listed above I'll be shocked if Showalter gets it even if we do make the playoffs. 

• 2 weeks later...

o

The Orioles just snapped a string of 20 consecutive games of ceding 5 or more runs in a game.

They needed their best starting pitcher to have a good game to do it.

And they are 36-38 overall ...... and that includes a 22-17 record against other AL East opponents, not exactly a pushover division.

I don't think that Showalter will get AL Manger of the Year. In fact, I don't think that he will even get any votes unless the Orioles can somehow manage to win at least 83 or 84 games. But with what he has had to work with, I think that one would be hard-pressed to find anyone that could be doing any better than he has done with the team that he has had to work with.

o

5 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I think it's time to move on from the Duquette/Showalter era. For various reasons, it just doesn't work anymore.

Do you think DD or BS could do better without the other?

35 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I don't know to be honest with you. I've never liked Duquette or his Shuttle Mentality in micro-managing a roster. As for Buck, I believe he was the right man for the job back in 2011 but his shelf life has expired. I'm extremely concerned about 2019 and beyond. I am firmly in the Blow It Up Now camp.

That's the part I like BEST! Hardy breaks a bone? You got Tejada AND Janish to fill in. Janish who, by the way, chose to stay with the O's and get sent back down to Norfolk. Because he wanted to stay in the organization.

Adam needs a blow? You got Craig Gentry to fill in. Who ALSO chose to stay in the organization. ALL the tiresome innings the shuttle squad has filled in because all the starters can't go past 5 innings. The reason we're ONLY 5 back of the Skanks is because of DD.

And the Skanks being 2-8 in their last 10! *snicker*

Only 4 teams in baseball have a worse run differential than the Orioles - Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco and Philadelphia. All of these teams are in last place or second to last,at least 17.5 games out of 1st place and at least 8 games under .500. Nine teams - Toronto, Kansas City, Detroit, Chi White Sox, Atlanta, Miami, St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have a better run differential than the Orioles and all are under .500. Buck Showalter for manager of the year. 

2 hours ago, vab said:

Only 4 teams in baseball have a worse run differential than the Orioles - Oakland, San Diego, San Francisco and Philadelphia. All of these teams are in last place or second to last,at least 17.5 games out of 1st place and at least 8 games under .500. Nine teams - Toronto, Kansas City, Detroit, Chi White Sox, Atlanta, Miami, St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Cincinnati have a better run differential than the Orioles and all are under .500. Buck Showalter for manager of the year. 

The Buck abides.

o

In the Orioles Win, Yankees Lose threadRuzious posted:

The Orioles' run differential for the season: - 65.  

The Yankees' run differential for the season: + 103.    

The Yankees are ahead of the Orioles by just 3.5 games.  

o

15 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

In the Orioles Win, Yankees Lose threadRuzious posted:

The Orioles' run differential for the season: - 65.  

The Yankees' run differential for the season: + 103.    

The Yankees are ahead of the Orioles by just 3.5 games.  

o

We're better at getting blown out. Our hitters no when to stop trying. 

Archived