2017 17th round pick (518): Greg Jones - SS - Cary HS

Have heard he isn't set on UNC-W, but the fact he'd only have to stay there two years means he has some leverage.

https://2080baseball.com/2017/06/2017-mlb-draft-positional-previews-middle-infielders/

Greg Jones, SS, Cary (Cary, NC)
Ht/Wt: 5’11”/185          B/T: S/R          Age (as of 2017 MLB Draft): 19y, 3m

Jones’s calling card is his elite speed, with the North Carolina prep product capable of breaking off sub-4.0 second home-to-first times from both sides of the plate. Jones has undergone a huge growth spurt over the past 12 months, growing six inches and adding 15 to 20 good pounds in the process, making him a much more interesting draft prospect this spring than he was last summer. The timing of the growth spurt has put some teams behind the eight ball, as there isn’t a long book on “this version” of Jones performing against top high school talent, and the early end of his high school season made it difficult for some decision-makers to get quality looks.

At the plate, Jones has a simple swing that checks out from both sides of the plate, with the UNC Wilmington commit profiling as a top-of-the-order type bat who can spray hard contact to all fields and drive the gaps for extra bases. His limited track record, as well as some questions as to whether he’s truly an infielder long term or better fit in center field, could see him drop far enough that it would make sense to go to college and try to up his value with increased exposure and performance over the next two seasons (he is already 19 years old and would be draft eligible again as a sophomore in 2019). Presently he projects as a third- to fifth-round selection.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We could have offered the guy 513 + 125 for 638k to sign. I wonder if we made that offer?

That is a question that can be asked about several draftees. It appears the Os did not have, or were not interested in, a backup plan if they failed to sign Conlon.

11 hours ago, stef said:

That is a question that can be asked about several draftees. It appears the Os did not have, or were not interested in, a backup plan if they failed to sign Conlon.

Signing Conlon was not really in doubt, was it?  Seems to me he was pretty gung ho to sign.  His failing the physical is what caused the problem - not a lack of planning.  Are you saying that they should have expected that he fail the physical before the draft?  You can believe that no consideration or effort was given to try to sign any of the  potential over-slot draft picks once he failed the physical if you wish, but all indications are that those efforts were made.  Bishop was reportedly flown into Baltimore.  Just wanted an eclair from Vaccaro's, maybe?

The underslot savings needs to be spent on the draft.  We should have prospects ready to sign at various $ intervals in case something like this happens or something opens up - especially someone in this case worthy or $600k bonus. 

Sounds like Jones wanted to take the gamble and go to college for two years. Who knows what we offered him?  Obviously not enough. I think he made the right decision. Especially if he lives up to his potential. 

I'm glad we drafted him. He was more of the backup plan if Hall didn't sign. 

On 7/8/2017 at 10:51 AM, Number5 said:

Signing Conlon was not really in doubt, was it?  Seems to me he was pretty gung ho to sign.  His failing the physical is what caused the problem - not a lack of planning.  Are you saying that they should have expected that he fail the physical before the draft?  You can believe that no consideration or effort was given to try to sign any of the  potential over-slot draft picks once he failed the physical if you wish, but all indications are that those efforts were made.  Bishop was reportedly flown into Baltimore.  Just wanted an eclair from Vaccaro's, maybe?

Well, I think I made that comment before I knew of the possible Bishop signing (which, if obando's post is true has turned into a mess but that's a separate issue). But, yes, I'll stand by what I said. If you are going to draft a lot of HS pitchers (or college pitchers with high counts for that matter) you should have a plan b, c and d because you can be sure that one or more are not going to pass the dreaded Os physical (rightly or wrongly). DD knows what he is dealing with.

Back to Bishop: are those eclairs worth the trip? I hope that's not all he gets out of it. :-)

Archived