Pressbox: D. L. Hall

weams

His HIGHLIGHT tape is full of pitches out of the zone.  He sits low 90s consistently. 

That said the slotting system and early deadline means he will have to decide if he wants a million plus soon or not.  Gotta think he will take it at the end.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Seriously given the O's record for NOT developing pitching I think the gamble is signing. My advice to the kid is to go to college. Signing with the O's is like saying you will never be an effective ML starter.

A bonus now with a ceiling of being a ML reliever vs. College fame, most likely still a first round pick and the hope to hook up with a ML team that can help you become a ML starter and make 100+ million dollars. I think the choice is very clear

Why do you follow this team?  You complain about us having a depleted farm system, yet you root for our #1 pick not to sign with us. You make no sense.

1 hour ago, Mendoza Line said:

Why do you follow this team?  You complain about us having a depleted farm system, yet you root for our #1 pick not to sign with us. You make no sense.

Not rooting for him not to sign, just stating what I would do if it was me or my son drafted by the O's

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

And I think most of us believe the O's will be willing to go at least 3 maybe 3.5.

At the expense of the other slots, possibly.  Or they could just play HARD BALL and get the pick next year plus the added $$$$ that would be added to the 2018 Pool.  It is an un-tradable compensation pick if they do not sign him.

22 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Not rooting for him not to sign, just stating what I would do if it was me or my son drafted by the O's.

19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm sure you would tell him to turn down $2.5M.

o

He's mimicking LeBron James' character from the Saturday Night Live episode, when James told his high school guidance counselor that he was choosing to go to college in lieu of signing a multi-million dollar contract with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

[ open on title on a sheet in a three-ring binder ] 

Announcer: And now, another episode of: "Great Moments in Guidance Counseling." 

[ dissolve to close-up of the faculty page in a high school yearbook ] 

Narrator: January, 2003. Larry Baines, guidance counselor at St. Vincent-St. Mary High School in Akron, Ohio, had a meeting with a student that's still talked about amongst guidance counselors to this day. 

[ dissolve to Mr. Baines' office, as student LeBron James enters ] 

LeBron James: Hi, Mr. Baines. 

Larry Baines: [ beaming ] Heeeeyyyy! LeBron! [ they shake hands ] Take a seat, take a seat! [ chuckles as they both sit ] Hey -- so, uh, what'd you want to talk to me about? 

LeBron James: Well, I've been thinking a lot about my future -- 

Larry Baines: Good, good, good! Well, you came to the right guy! What's on your mind? 

LeBron James: Well, I've been told if I'm cleared for the NBA, I'd be the number-one draft pick. 

Larry Baines: [ impressed ] Hey, wow! That's fantastic news! 

LeBron James: But I've been giving it a lot of thought now, and I've decided I want to go to college. 

Larry Baines: [ stunned ] I'm sorry -- what?! 

LeBron James: [ proudly ] I'm going to go to college! 

Larry Baines: Okay, okay -- uh -- you know, LeBron -- college might not be the right path for you, right? 

LeBron James: [ confused ] I thought you would be happy

Larry Baines: Well, you know, LeBron -- do you know what a contract in the NBA is worth? You know, I -- I mean, it would take one-thousand of me, uh -- one-thousand years just to make your signing bonus! 

LeBron James: But you've always talked about the importance of a college scholarship. 

Larry Baines: Okay, alright, well, uh -- uh -- I mean, do you know who has a college education, LeBron? [ a beat ] I do! [ laughs ] I mean, you know -- LOOK at me! My shirt doesn't have long sleeves -- you know, I make my own lunch -- you know, I share an office with Glenn -- 

[ a wide shot suddenly reveals Glenn seated at an adjacent desk ] 

Glenn: Don't say it like that.. 

Larry Baines: Shut up, Glenn! 

LeBron James: But -- I've always dreamed of getting a diploma. 

Larry Baines: What? Oh, you want a diploma? Oh, well, here! [ he stands and pulls his diploma off the wall ] There you go! I'll sell you mine! POW!! There you go, that'll be one million dollars! [ laughs ] Now you only have two-hundred million bucks left! 

LeBron James: But won't I be ashamed to work with the people who went to college? 

Larry Baines: What? Okay, well, you know how you get over that? You DUNK on 'em! You just take a basketball, you dunk it right on their heads! Then you put your arms up and you say, "I guess they didn't teach you how to stop LeBron James in college -- BITCH!!" 

Glenn: Larry! Language. 

Larry Baines: Glenn! SHUT UP!! [ turns back to LeBron ] LeBron, listen to me -- I drive a '93 Corolla. Okay? When I go over 50 MPH, the glove compartment pops open. Now, I went to college for four years -- FOUR years, LeBron. And I have no idea how to make a glove compartment stay shut. So you know what I have to do? I have to take it to a shop, where a guy -- who didn't go to college -- says he can fix it for four-hundred dollars! You know what that makes me want to do, LeBron? It makes me want to go back to my old college, and burn it to the ground. 

LeBron James: Wow, Mr. Baines. 

Larry Baines: Yeah.. yeah. Don't go to -- don't go to college! No, you don't know something -- just Google it! 

LeBron James: [ smiles ] Thanks, Mr. Baines! 

Larry Baines: Absolutely! [ LeBron stands ] Get out of here, you knucklehead! Alright! [ laughs ] 

[ LeBron exits the office. ] 

Glenn: You know, I find that, uh, duct tape does a pretty good job of keeping my glove compartment shut -- 

Larry Baines: Glenn, I swear to God -- I swear to God, Glenn. 

[ Larry returns to his work as Glenn just nods in defeat ] 

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/07/07acounselor.phtml

o

1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

At the expense of the other slots, possibly.  Or they could just play HARD BALL and get the pick next year plus the added $$$$ that would be added to the 2018 Pool.  It is an un-tradable compensation pick if they do not sign him.

As a rule a pick now is better than a pick a year from now.  I'd much rather Hall sign.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

As a rule a pick now is better than a pick a year from now.  I'd much rather Hall sign.

If Dan Duquette is not the GM Figure in next years draft, A top pick for a college pitcher may be closer to the Majors than a High-schooler in 2017.  (if new management wanted to go that root)

Just now, thezeroes said:

If Dan Duquette is not the GM Figure in next years draft, A top pick for a college pitcher may be closer to the Majors than a High-schooler in 2017.  (if new management wanted to go that root)

I'm aware of that.  And the type of college pitcher you can get with an unprotected 22nd pick won't have near the ceiling that Hall will.

Anyway the O's can use their top five pick in next years draft to sign a college arm.

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Considering the under-slot picks they made after Hall to ensure they can go over-slot with Hall's pick... yeah if he goes to college the 2017 Draft was awfully managed before it even starts playing.

17 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Not rooting for him not to sign, just stating what I would do if it was me or my son drafted by the O's

Na. Just trolling the team. No fan roots for their first round pick to pass. Sorry. 

4 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I think you have to consider several factors here. First and foremost is the Boras Factor. You know he's going to run the clock down to the 11th hour and get Angelos involved. The price is going up. Secondly, IF you pass and take the 22nd pick next year would that be a bad move if it's a monster draft and the quality in 2018 is superior to 2017? I don't know what 2018 will look like talent wise but I do know I'm wary of throwing mega bucks at Boras clients. I do understand our desperate need for pitching but a Scott Kazmir comparison doesn't send me over the moon. It's a tough call either way.

At pick 21 this fellow is as high a ceiling as could be looked at in a good draft year, let alone a poor one. This is not a top three pick. 

Archived