Pressbox: D. L. Hall

weams

43 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

The Orioles most likely had an idea what Hall's number was when they drafted him.   They must sign him even if it means not signing some over slots after round 10.   They knew this when they picked him but the overslots might be a fall back position just in case or if they get Hall at their number.

I read that the Orioles' area scout is from Hall's home town and knows Hall's family.    My guess is they know pretty well what this will take.   http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/06/os-gary-rajsich-on-the-draft-and-top-pick-dl-hall.html

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

How high is the ceiling? Worth up to $3.5 mil? You're definitely in risky territory for a #21 pick. This will be a tough call for Angelos and company.

Punting the pick to next season is much riskier.  Plus you lose the pool. So you don't get to pick an over-slot guy instead. 

13 minutes ago, weams said:

Punting the pick to next season is much riskier.  Plus you lose the pool. So you don;t get to pick an over-slot guy instead. 

Agreed. I'm hoping that the O's knew exactly what Hall would cost when they drafted him, and that they'll have this taken care of.

On June 19, 2017 at 10:57 AM, birdwatcher55 said:

How high is the ceiling? Worth up to $3.5 mil? You're definitely in risky territory for a #21 pick. This will be a tough call for Angelos and company.

Ace

Hes a must sign imo. He jumps to our top prospect immediately I'd think. He would likely go first if our farm system was put in a draft. 

1 minute ago, Cumberbundy said:

Ace

Hes a must sign imo. He jumps to our top prospect immediately I'd think. He would likely go first if our farm system was put in a draft. 

Thats crazy talk.

i know the farm system is trash but this kid is so unpolished and raw.  His velocity is not overwhelming and he is erratic with control. 

He will still be a top 4-5 guy, by virtue of last years college pitchers being such let downs this year.  

Can someone explain why he shouldn't sign now, rather than wait and get drafted again in 3 years? These kids should realize the rookie contracts mean nothing. The real money is when you become a free agent and by signing now you start the clock to reach free agency much quicker. 

On 6/19/2017 at 6:34 AM, birdwatcher55 said:

I think you have to consider several factors here. First and foremost is the Boras Factor. You know he's going to run the clock down to the 11th hour and get Angelos involved. The price is going up. Secondly, IF you pass and take the 22nd pick next year would that be a bad move if it's a monster draft and the quality in 2018 is superior to 2017? I don't know what 2018 will look like talent wise but I do know I'm wary of throwing mega bucks at Boras clients. I do understand our desperate need for pitching but a Scott Kazmir comparison doesn't send me over the moon. It's a tough call either way.

Scott Kazmir has put up 25 fWAR.  This would be a huge steal if he has Kazmir's career. 

On 6/19/2017 at 10:47 AM, weams said:

Punting the pick to next season is much riskier.  Plus you lose the pool. So you don't get to pick an over-slot guy instead. 

Maybe.  You do lose the money for the 1st round pick, but then we could use the savings from all the senior signs in rounds 6-10 to try to sign one of the later overslots.  

4 minutes ago, Otter said:

Maybe.  You do lose the money for the 1st round pick, but then we could use the savings from all the senior signs in rounds 6-10 to try to sign one of the later overslots.  

If that's the case pick a number 70 prospect in the seventh round. It's just mental math to me. 

1 hour ago, thezeroes said:

According to "Baseball America" the most the Orioles can spend on him and not lose a draft pick compensation next year is $3,719,535.00.($827,135.00 over slot)

Oh, do they know all the other signing bonuses? I'd not seen that anywhere. If they don't they are just winging it. 

6 minutes ago, weams said:

Oh, do they know all the other signing bonuses? I'd not seen that anywhere. If they don't they are just winging it. 

They may have thought that all the other slots were at the "suggested retail price" and that the 10% of drafted players would be unsigned leaving that amount remaining. 

Steve Melewski has a very good article on the recent and future signings.

http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2017/06/when-it-comes-to-draft-picks-signings-the-os-have-moved-fast.html

Archived