McDowell

brooksfrankjim

Not incredibly related but does anyone know if Palmer has ever been approached about becoming the pitching coach? I know he probably wouldn't want to do it at this point but he knows so much about how to pitch. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

He wasn't the coach in Atlanta for a decade just cause, you know

So that's two pitching coaches who were supposedly great in Atlanta that we hired that have done nothing here.

McDowell was also relieved of his duties in Atlanta.   The new manager, who was promoted from the coaching staff last season so he had worked alongside him, got rid of him as soon as he had the authority to do so.

It's obviously not all his fault.   But there's certainly not much you can point to that he's distinguished himself with either.

I think he will be gone a couple days after the season ends.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

Not incredibly related but does anyone know if Palmer has ever been approached about becoming the pitching coach? I know he probably wouldn't want to do it at this point but he knows so much about how to pitch. 

He's said he doesn't want to.

Ubaldo has notoriously fragile mechanics so I can't blame McDowell for not being able to help him. Wade Miley has been bad since 2013, so I can't blame McDowell for him either.

But Tillman supposedly feels fine but can't find his release point, and it's hard to believe that Gausman isn't doing something mechanically wrong that is screwing up his command.  A pitching coach is supposed to help slumping pitchers break down and fix what they are doing wrong.  I do blame McDowell for not being able to help Tillman and Gausman.  

2 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Ubaldo has notoriously fragile mechanics so I can't blame McDowell for not being able to help him. Wade Miley has been bad since 2013, so I can't blame McDowell for him either.

But Tillman supposedly feels fine but can't find his release point, and it's hard to believe that Gausman isn't doing something mechanically wrong that is screwing up his command.  A pitching coach is supposed to help slumping pitchers break down and fix what they are doing wrong.  I do blame McDowell for not being able to help Tillman and Gausman.  

Gausman's the one that gets me, I agree 100% with you.

I'm still skeptical of Tillman feeling fine, no matter what he says.   He may not be in pain but I don't think the shoulder is sound.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

So that's two pitching coaches who were supposedly great in Atlanta that we hired that have done nothing here.

McDowell was also relieved of his duties in Atlanta.   The new manager, who was promoted from the coaching staff last season so he had worked alongside him, got rid of him as soon as he had the authority to do so.

It's obviously not all his fault.   But there's certainly not much you can point to that he's distinguished himself with either.

I think he will be gone a couple days after the season ends.

What to take away from Mazzone and Mcdowell being great pitching coaches in ATL for 30 years and then having not so great results here?   You can turn Chicken crap into chicken salad.  

Gausman's huge step back and injured (even though he denies it, something is going on) Tillman have killed this team.  They could get away with more when those guys were going good in the past but now it's just too much to overcome.  The key injuries to the bullpen haven't helped either.  Meanwhile we don't have anyone to step in and help because DD has neglected the farm system.

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

4.8% McDowell, 8.3% Castillo, 2.1% Mills,  84.8% the pitchers.

The Orioles ERA was nearly a run lower per game last year with pretty much the same pitching staff. The only difference is a healthy Britton but that's just one pitcher. Actually last year's pitching staff was probably even less talented than this year's team. You have second year Bundy making starts instead of rookie Bundy/Wright/Wilson and Miley is an upgrade over Gallardo. The other three starters (Tillman, Gausman, Ubaldo) have remained the same. 

3 hours ago, Bird Dog said:

Just wondering how you could/would blame Alan Mills for these relief pitchers.... he's the "bullpen coach" right? Most of em with the exception of the few we all know about, wouldn't even be in a major league bullpen (Nuno, etc.)

Nuno had a 3.66 ERA with a 1.29 WHIP and 4:1 SO:BB ratio. Nuno's not great but he was a competent ML reliever similar to someone like Tommy Hunter. The jump in walk rate is something that has really stood out. Nuno has typically shown very good control throughout his career with a career walk rate of 2.3 BB/9 coming into this year. This year, he's average 6 BB/9. How does a pitcher almost triple his walk rate from his career average?

Agree with the sentiments in this thread and glad the issue has been raised, because it hasn't been discussed much. Clearly it's not all McDowell's fault, but he's probably not quite reaching the guys and he certainly isn't making anything better. Sure wish we would've called Dom Chiti this offseason when he was waiting for the phone to ring.... Not sure things would've been much different, but maybe would've helped.

Alright, mercifully back to my vacation where I don't have to watch our season fall apart and can instead just wake up, see the score, and shake my head. Godspeed watching these guys, all...

9 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

Yes it's always someone else's fault. 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

A pitching coach is supposed to help slumping pitchers break down and fix what they are doing wrong.  I do blame McDowell for not being able to help Tillman and Gausman.  

If the pitcher in question is to dense to allow the coach to help him, it is not on the coach.  Tillman was not good at the end of last season and McDowell was not here.  Gausman was not good until the end of last season with two years worth of tutoring from the old regime.  I do not see McDowell as the problem when the previous track record of McDowell was stellar while in Atlanta until they gave him nothing to work with his last year..

Archived