Orioles Catchers, 2017 season

OFFNY

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am still a bit troubled by Castillo's 5.45 CERA (compared to 4.24 for Joseph).     Just luck of the draw, or is his pitch-calling flawed?    Buck insists that the pitchers like throwing to both of them, but that's a big gap.

Bundy shook him off a fair amount in his most recent outing, I'm glad he's got the confidence to know what he wants to throw and dictate the AB himself. I know some guys prefer to execute the plan the C has and just pitch. 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

o

(FINAL STATISTICS - 2017)

HOME RUNS: llllllllllllll 31

RBI's: llllllllllllllllllllllllll  82

DOUBLES: lllll.llllllllllll.l  25

TRIPLES: lllllllllllll..llllll  1

BATTING AVG: .......l...  .275 lllll (162 for 590)

ON-BASE %: )))lllllllllll))  .313

OBP + SLG: llllllllllllllllllll .791

Matthew Wieters:

114 G, 457 PA, 43 runs, ) 94 Hits, 19 2B, 10 HR, 52 RBI, 1 SB, 37 BB, 93 K ****** .227/.289/.345 ****** .633 OPS, 62 OPS+.

Jose Lobaton:

OPS-ed .520 and had a 35 OPS+ in 139 Plate Appearances. 

o

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Lobaton made Wieters look like Johnny Bench.   

I'm still wondering whether or not Castillos pitch-calling was a big liability.

o

Yeah, I'm just glad that at least on the offensive side of the ball, the Orioles catchers acquitted themselves quite well this past season. 

Because of the fact that the Nationals were simply a much better team than the Orioles this season, I don't think that it would have mattered much one way or the other if the Orioles had chosen to retain Wieters and/or if the Nationals had played the season with another average catcher besides Wieters.

o

5 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I'm wondering if it was so much the pitch calling as it was the person who pitched it.

And it’s fair to think that.   However, Castillo had a 5.60 CERA compared to Joseph’s 4.23.    For the starting pitchers, the differential was even more extreme.    Could be a coincidence, but that’s a huge gap.

Joseph is just a superior target behind the plate than either Wieters or Castillo. Better positioning, glove placement, presentation to the umpire, and seems to handle the pitching staff better. All of this just my opinion, of course.

Joseph had lower CERAs than WIeters while both were here, too. Better than Hundley in 2014 also.

Joseph is my favorite Orioles catcher that I have had the opportunity to watch, as far as behind the plate goes.

20 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Joseph is just a superior target behind the plate than either Wieters or Castillo. Better positioning, glove placement, presentation to the umpire, and seems to handle the pitching staff better. All of this just my opinion, of course.

Joseph had lower CERAs than WIeters while both were here, too. Better than Hundley in 2014 also.

Joseph is my favorite Orioles catcher that I have had the opportunity to watch, as far as behind the plate goes.

In 2016, Joseph had a 4.28 CERA, Wieters was at 3.98.    Although Wieters did a little better, that’s  the kind of small difference where it’s difficult to say it’s more than coincidence.   But the gap between Joseph and Castillo this year was huge.     It’s also notable that there was almost no difference between Joseph’s CERA in 2016 (4.28) and 2017 (4.23).     That’s another reason to think Castillo may have been a significant factor in the poor performance of our pitching staff in 2017 compared to 2016.   

On 9/1/2017 at 3:11 PM, Frobby said:

I am still a bit troubled by Castillo's 5.45 CERA (compared to 4.24 for Joseph).     Just luck of the draw, or is his pitch-calling flawed?    Buck insists that the pitchers like throwing to both of them, but that's a big gap.

I think Wieters was harder to replace than some thought.

I think Castillo tests the waters and walks, since the Catcher spot is so short supply of quality dudes that capable of starting.

Then again, just an opinion.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I think Wieters was harder to replace than some thought.

I think Castillo tests the waters and walks, since the Catcher spot is so short supply of quality dudes that capable of starting.

Then again, just an opinion.

I think Castillo is highly likely to walk, and I’m hoping he does, even though there are risks of going with Joseph/Sisco.

9 minutes ago, foxfield said:

At the end of the day, 2017 was an offensive upgrade for the O's at catcher.  Defensively...not so much.

I would rather have a defender behind the plate, it makes your whole team better defensively, and probably win more games by not losing, then by their bat in the lineup. IMO

Archived