Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

That should be the idea. If you lock up Manny/Schoop/Britton, the window remains open too. 

I don't think you can reasonably make a case for the 2018 team to be contenders. 

I think this course of action is just going to make the inevitable free fall, sell off and rebuild more painful.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think you can reasonably make a case for the 2018 team to be contenders. 

I think this course of action is just going to make the inevitable free fall, sell off and rebuild more painful.

This.  I just don't see how we'll have enough starting pitching to compete in 2018. We have no major league ready pitching prospects, and Dan has made terrible decisions on starting pitching in free agency.  If Tillman continues to look shaky, I could see us re-signing him for a 1yr/$8M type contract.  But that would still leave two more holes in the rotation, not to mention the need to sign at least a couple other pitchers for AAA insurance.  And we don't have the minor league assets to acquire a decent starting pitcher in a trade; not to mention the difficulty in finding a team willing to trade a major league starting pitcher in the offseason.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It really depends on how this offseason goes, honestly. Assuming there are no moves at the deadline, then reloading through FA is the best option we have, and DD usually makes a move to find a cheaper option somewhere to fill a hole (Hammel, Cruz in FA, Trumbo) and has a history of doing so. That and we have $50 million to play with, and move if we get rid of castillo. This is one of those "only time will tell" scenarios. That and I found this. Not related, but here you are. 

http://twinsdaily.com/articles.html/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins/the-best-25-gms-in-history-17-dan-duquette-r3322

8 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

My question is who replaces Brach? And who would take over Givens' role if he's moved up? 

For this year? Who cares? They aren't competing. Try Mike Wright or swap Seth Smith for a reliever. Ask for Tommy Hunter in the trade

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In July 2011, could you reasonably make the case for the 2012 team to be contenders?

It's pretty simple, really.     You acquire a few pitchers who turn out a little better than expected.    It won't exactly be difficult to improve on the performance of this year's staff.    Whether you can improve it by a sufficient amount is largely a matter of good fortune, which sometimes happens.   

Just now, Frobby said:

In July 2011, could you reasonably make the case for the 2012 team to be contenders?

It's pretty simple, really.     You acquire a few pitchers who turn out a little better than expected.    It won't exactly be difficult to improve on the performance of this year's staff.    Whether you can improve it by a sufficient amount is largely a matter of good fortune, which sometimes happens.   

I have started following the Mexican League xD

Archived