BTB :Britton's low trade value could hurt O's chances of dealing him

Tony-OH

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

No one is saying that Britton should have full value as he has been hurt. What people are arguing is that most of these teams/scouts (or at least I am arguing) don't watch for results constantly but they watch for how his velociaty and stuff looks. Most of these teams that are interested are either way ahead in their division/have a comfortable lead. Britton has looked better and better in each game he has pitched as far as stuff. Is there still some things (pretty much just command) that aren't quite back yet? Sure. 

Point is, his stuff is still nasty and he's still hitting 98. Most of these teams want to build nasty back of the bullpens and clubs like the Rockies, Dodgers, and possibly Cubs have some pretty damn good closers already and could use help before them. If they could get a guy like Britton who once he's fully back can basically end a game after 7 innings, why not? We won't get what we could have got with historically good Britton of last year, but that doesn't mean we can't get a very good package still as we have no idea how teams feel about what their watching. Some may thing with his velo and his pitching still having incredible life on them that he's well on his way. Some may see his command and don't want to take a chance. Who the heck knows.

Remember, it's not just his health and him being his old self; it's also his price-tag - he might cost 15 mil to re-sign.  I'd be prepared to not get a real good offer - unfortunately.       

Just now, Ruzious said:

Remember, it's not just his health and him being his old self; it's also his price-tag - he might cost 15 mil to re-sign.  I'd be prepared to not get a real good offer - unfortunately.       

Look at what the Cubs paid for a 2-3 month rental. Britton is locked in through next year without having to worry about a contract. For an elite reliever they're going to get a decent chunk of change.

2 hours ago, Ruzious said:

This could turn out to be true, but if so, just keep him.  Worst case is to give him away for too little.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

This could turn out to be true, but if so, just keep him.  Worst case is to give him away for too little.

You aren't good at worst cases.

Realistic worst case is they keep him, pay him, and he gets hurt in ST and misses the season.

I can think of a multitude of scenarios worse than trading him away for too little.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Realistic worst case is they keep him, pay him, and he gets hurt in ST and misses the season.

I can think of a multitude of scenarios worse than trading him away for too little.

Yeah, right.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Yeah, right.

Because a guy that went on the DL with forearm issues twice this year couldn't realistically get hurt next spring.

Yeah, right.

Heck Britton coming back healthy and making 15 million to close for a  team that wins 65 games might end up worse than your "worst case".

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A scenario worse than that already happened since Britton should have been dealt in the offseason. These are the tough choices the Orioles FO don't have the guts or forward thinking capabilities to do or even know they should do. Waiting too long is something this organization does way too much. No one knows how to make the tough decisions. His value was as high as it may ever be for the rest of his career in the 2016 offseason. That's the time to deal Britton and once again, the Orioles miss the bus.

Having said that, I don't think Britton has been horrible and he's gotten a bit better each time out. I think it's a little too early to doubt he can return to form. I think the chances are that he will, but if he doesn't, the Orioles can just blame themselves.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because a guy that went on the DL with forearm issues twice this year couldn't realistically get hurt next spring.

Yeah, right.

Heck Britton coming back healthy and making 15 million to close for a  team that wins 65 games might end up worse than your "worst case".

Your opinion is as good as mine.  Oddly enough, the reverse is actually also true.  I know that is extremely hard for you to believe.  Have a nice day.

1 minute ago, Sessh said:

A scenario worse than that already happened since Britton should have been dealt in the offseason. These are the tough choices the Orioles FO don't have the guts or forward thinking capabilities to do or even know they should do. Waiting too long is something this organization does way too much. No one knows how to make the tough decisions. His value was as high as it may ever be for the rest of his career in the 2016 offseason. That's the time to deal Britton and once again, the Orioles miss the bus.

Having said that, I don't think Britton has been horrible and he's gotten a bit better each time out. I think it's a little too early to doubt he can return to form. I think the chances are that he will, but if he doesn't, the Orioles can just blame themselves.

Not that I think Dan was in favor of shipping Britton off but you do have to factor in the owner.  Trading him might not have been an option for Dan.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not that I think Dan was in favor of shipping Britton off but you do have to factor in the owner.  Trading him might not have been an option for Dan.

^

I mean, we were several games under .500 with the worst pitching staff in the MLB and he just had to go and ask permission to deal him. You think coming off winning almost 90 games a year ago we wanted to move a closer who had one of the best years ever from a closer? Come on guys...

Angelos is stubborn when it comes to selling. He wants to win.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Correct, but I was kind of including PA in that comment since he insists on playing GM whenever he feels like it behind the shield/scapegoat he hires as "GM". Dan probably would have done a lot of things right if not for him and Buck forcing his decisions for him or heavily influencing them. I think Dan takes a lot of flack for stuff the other two had more say in than he did. The more I think about what his situation must be like, the more I kind of understand why he'd want to leave for Toronto.

At any rate, regardless of the "who", it wasn't done and the organization is and will pay for it in the long run. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of that kind of thing is coming down the pipe.

3 hours ago, ISU94 said:

Look at what the Cubs paid for a 2-3 month rental. Britton is locked in through next year without having to worry about a contract. For an elite reliever they're going to get a decent chunk of change.

People keep citing the Cubs trade for Chapman, but nobody seems to remember that they trade Jorge Solar for Wade Davis. Davis is obviously not Chapman (few closer are), but in view of Britton's injury and continued struggles (including his 2ER 8th inning, just a few moments ago), Britton may be more comparable to Davis. Like others are saying in this thread, I don't think the 3 top prospect package will be offered for him. 

Britton hit hard again today.

This team is so bad and so overpaid that there isn't even anyone to trade for future pieces

Just ride out the bad contracts, don't sign anymore bad contracts, lose a lot of games to get high draft picks, and come out fighting in 2022

27 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Britton hit hard again today.

This team is so bad and so overpaid that there isn't even anyone to trade for future pieces

Just ride out the bad contracts, don't sign anymore bad contracts, lose a lot of games to get high draft picks, and come out fighting in 2022

Hit hard? Your vision of what happened and what I saw were 2 different things. Longo hit the ball hard, the other 2 hits were groundballs. The Orioles hit the ball harder making outs last night. 

Archived