Should JJ Hardy get his starting job back once he's healthy?

Frobby

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Trumbo has the arm for SS, not sure about the range. At least he wouldn't have to worry about walls.

o

For the most part yes, he would not have to worry about walls as a shortstop.

But perhaps on a very rare occasion ........

o

Another homer for Beckham. Buck is gonna have a tough time justifying not starting him, and if he does bench him it'll probably just cause clubhouse issues like with what Beckham had in Tampa because he's doing everything you could ask of him. Do the right thing Buck.

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hardy commenting on the fact that his arm is not at full strength yet:  "I'd have a hard time throwing myself out if I hit a grounder.   I am pretty fast.    That's what I'm saying."   

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/08/hardy-progressing-toward-batting-practice-as-wrist-continues-to-heal.html

I do like JJ. Maybe he becomes a coach if he is helping Beckham at SS now. 

8 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

My prediction: Buck will split time at SS between Hardy & Beckham.  At this point, I think some of our posters could outhit Hardy.  Buck loves his veterans.

I think that'd be a mistake. As much as I like JJ it's time  to let Beckham play SS full time. 

As unpopular as this may sound, Beckham is simply not a starting-caliber infielder, much less a shortstop.  I would give both Hardy and Beckham starts at short, but keep Beckham someway in the lineup everyday.  Beckham's future should be outfield, where his tools would really play up.  While we have a logjam in the OF, Beckham has the potential to actually field really well there.  When Beckham does start at short, Hardy should defensively replace him late if we are playing to win (especially with our ground ball closer).  Shortstop is just too important.

According to bb-ref, Tim Beckham is top 8 on this team in WAR.

After playing in 14 games.    Simply incredible.   They have him as roughly replacement level defensively (-0.1 dWAR) so that will certainly play for the time being with the way he is hitting.

By comparison btw, JJ Hardy (through 64 games) has been worth 0.2 dWAR at SS.

So roughly 0.5 dWAR over a full season (162 starts), whereas Beckham would be around -1.

Over the remaining 30 games or so (I think we can all basically see here that Hardy is not going to be ready until September) that difference defensively is really small.  

And the difference offensively is huge.

41 minutes ago, Catch 8 said:

As unpopular as this may sound, Beckham is simply not a starting-caliber infielder, much less a shortstop.  I would give both Hardy and Beckham starts at short, but keep Beckham someway in the lineup everyday.  Beckham's future should be outfield, where his tools would really play up.  While we have a logjam in the OF, Beckham has the potential to actually field really well there.  When Beckham does start at short, Hardy should defensively replace him late if we are playing to win (especially with our ground ball closer).  Shortstop is just too important.

Just like we shouldn't overreact to Beckham's insanely hot bat, we shouldn't overreact to his 4 errors in 14 games.     His track record says that in a full season he'd make about 24-25 errors.    That would put him at the top of the list, but you also have to consider the offense he's providing.    I'm not a guy who believes that a guy who makes 15 fewer errors but gets 30 fewer hits is a superior option at SS.    So long as Beckham avoids a major slump at the plate, he should be starting.    

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Hardy commenting on the fact that his arm is not at full strength yet:  "I'd have a hard time throwing myself out if I hit a grounder.   I am pretty fast.    That's what I'm saying."   

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/08/hardy-progressing-toward-batting-practice-as-wrist-continues-to-heal.html

Not a problem - Just relay throws to first through Schoop.  

Archived