POLL: Yay or nay on Beckham trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?

• Yes. Beckham is under control through 2020 and could be the SS of the future.
    • No. We should be acquiring prospects, not trading them away.
    • Meh. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This deal will take 5 years to judge. 

Agreed.    Could work out well, could be a disaster.    If you want to see the team go into rebuild mode, you should hate the deal.    If you want them to retool a bit, this may work out, but time will tell.    

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Me too.   And 3 doesn't really fit.   

Yeah, that's why I didn't vote.   Don't like it enough for 1, don't dislike it enough for 2.  But don't feel "nothing lost, nothign gained" either.   We may have gained an adequate starter for the next three years, and we may have lost a future starting pitcher.   Just don't know for sure.

So I abstained.

On 6/30/2017 at 6:51 PM, phillyOs119 said:

First time seeing him, watching on milb.tv, bad camera angle for pitch recognition.

Righty, medium build, athletic on the mound, good arm speed.  Not a ton of projectability, maybe room for a little muscle.  Only velocity reading given by announcers was one fastball at 93mph.  The fastball looks pretty straight and doesn't have an ideal downward plane, that said, the pitch was jumping on guys, there was one lefty batter who whiffed on a fastball middle middle.  When it was up or in a predictable fastball count though, it got hit firmly a few times.

He throws a big breaking curveball, but I'd guess it's on the harder side.  It looks like a promising pitch (wish I had a better angle to see it), generating a whiff or two, and plenty of bad swings/weak contact.  There were one or two he didn't get on top of, but for the most part he was around the plate with it.  Also saw a change-up with solid arm-side fade get two whiffs, it looks like he threw it too firm sometimes (again, better angle would help).  Overall command was below average and control was average, although I think the delivery could be cleaned up a little bit and those would improve.  He did show the ability to move the ball around, it was just quite inconsistent.

This is what I wrote about Myers after watching a start. 

I'm torn on this, I like Myers and I think he's a good prospect ( I've watched almost every pitch he's thrown this year).  He is a long way away though, he isn't particularly protectable and to be an impact, top 100 type of guy he'll need to have plus control and command. 

If you believe in Beckham'slast 150 games, we got a ton of value for a lottery ticket. A good lottery ticket but it's rare to get a guy who has put up league average numbers, is controllable, and cheap for a guy so far away without premium stuff.

Archived