Now That The Trade Deadline has Passed - Let's Go Out and Win this Thing

brianod

Just now, SteveA said:

Yay, we picked up a game on the Indians.   (If the Royals win the division, we would need to catch Cleveland).

I didn't watch of course until our game was over. What an ending. Allen blew it. Gomes had play at 1st on the K as well.  

Austin Jackson had the catch of the year. 

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the division is pretty much out of reach, so I am not mad at Boston beating the Yankees and padding their record. I know it is a bit early, but that probably helps us the most in the long run. We just need to finish 2nd in the division and we probably get the wildcard. Beating up on the Royals obviously helps too in the process. Just keep fighting and you never know.

13 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

I think the division is pretty much out of reach, so I am not mad at Boston beating the Yankees and padding their record. I know it is a bit early, but that probably helps us the most in the long run. We just need to finish 2nd in the division and we probably get the wildcard. Beating up on the Royals obviously helps too in the process. Just keep fighting and you never know.

6 games out is not out of reach.  Hell, I remember 82 like it was yesterday.  We were three games out with 4 games to play and almost won it. History is re-pleat with comebacks much bigger then what we have to do. I wouldn't say it's likely but its certainly within reach.

5 minutes ago, brianod said:

6 games out is not out of reach.  Hell, I remember 82 like it was yesterday.  We were three games out with 4 games to play and almost won it. History is re-pleat with comebacks much bigger then what we have to do. I wouldn't say it's likely but its certainly within reach.

Numerically, no, 6 games is not out of reach.

Realistically speaking, however, the chances are impossibly small. On top of it being a substantial gap... the Yankees and Red Sox are simply better teams.

You can beat a better team in a 1-game playoff, or even in a short series. But catching them over a prolonged stretch is extraordinarily difficult.

I think it boils down to pitching. The Yankees, Red Sox, Rays, and Royals all have better pitching than the Orioles. And the Orioles don't have the offense to compensate for the wide gap in pitching talent. It's fine to route for your home team to make a run, but as a GM and owner you have to take more of a realistic approach to evaluating your chances. This is not a team that is equipped to come from behind in the standings. Anyone can see that. I also think that, with his contract up after 2018, Duquette could care less about the long term future of this franchise. All he's looking to do is make another run at it so he can bolster his resume and land a job with someone else, because there's no chance the Oriole's resign him.  

Yankees - Lost Pineda, but replaced him with Gray and Garcia. Significantly improved their team. 

Red Sox - Lost Price hurts, but they have an in-house short-term contingency plan with Fister. They also significantly improved their pen by adding Addison Russell. He led the league in holds by a wide margin last season.I think the Red Sox arguably have the worst offense of the wild card contenders. 

Rays - IMO they had the best pitching staff (from top to bottom) in the AL East heading into the trade deadline. The Yankees may have jumped ahead of them,  with the Gray and Garcia acquisitions, but I still like the upside of their young starters, like Snell, who haven't "clicked" yet. Plenty of room to improve. 

Royals - They traded for Cahill. Not the sexist move, but he's their 5th starter (he'd be our #3!). No real standouts in their rotation, but they have solid, veteran pitchers who will keep them in games. 

Orioles - Traded for Hellickson, which really didn't add any depth because they will probably scale back Bundy's innings and skip a few of his starts. This means that Ubaldo is still in the rotation. Any rotation that trots Ubaldo out to the mound every 5th day is 

2 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Numerically, no, 6 games is not out of reach.

Realistically speaking, however, the chances are impossibly small. On top of it being a substantial gap... the Yankees and Red Sox are simply better teams.

You can beat a better team in a 1-game playoff, or even in a short series. But catching them over a prolonged stretch is extraordinarily difficult.

Exactly. 

The Red Sox are absolutely loaded with talent, especially at the top of their rotation. There is simply no conceivable way we can play well enough to overtake them in the long term. They were the prohibitive favorite going into the season for good reason. Our sights should be set on the wildcard, and every Yankee loss helps us. 

17 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

Exactly. 

The Red Sox are absolutely loaded with talent, especially at the top of their rotation. There is simply no conceivable way we can play well enough to overtake them in the long term. They were the prohibitive favorite going into the season for good reason. Our sights should be set on the wildcard, and every Yankee loss helps us

Meh, only if it's TO us. The Yankees are going to make October one way or another. Be it the division or the first WC. The O's are looking at the road team in the WC game, best case scenario.

Archived