It's funny

eddie83

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we are losing and never have a chance to get to our closer then it doesn't matter to me who's closing. At this point, I wish we would have sold and maybe taken a little less and started to rebuild. Losing while not building for the future is the the worst and that's what is currently going on. 

So yeah, if selling Zach helped give us a better rotation or offense and gave Givens actual opportunities to close out games then I'd take those chances.

9 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

How many people wanted Zach traded who had an issue with Givens pitching tonight? 

So it is ok for Givens to be our future closer and take on a tougher role if Zach was dealt but yet Buck messed up tonight. 

I had no issue with Givens pitching but Britton should have been up as soon as Givens gave up back-to-back hits.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Givens had allowed 0 runs in his last 12.1 innings. It has been a month. 

Bases loaded one out and a flyball hitter at the plate in the 8th in a 1-run game is why God created Zach Britton. Last year he absolutely would have been used in that situation.

3 minutes ago, Moshagge3 said:

Bases loaded one out and a flyball hitter at the plate in the 8th in a 1-run game is why God created Zach Britton. Last year he absolutely would have been used in that situation.

No he would not have. 

And my overall point is once Zach is gone you are going to rely even more on Givens. If he is good enough to be a future closer he is good enough to pitch there.  

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

How many people wanted Zach traded who had an issue with Givens pitching tonight? 

So it is ok for Givens to be our future closer and take on a tougher role if Zach was dealt but yet Buck messed up tonight. 

I don't understand what you're saying. Long day of O's goodness I'm brain fried perhaps.

I personally wanted both traded. As for tonight, Buck is behind the times on back end of the bullpen use, or something is wrong with ZB. He could have gone 2 tonight. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

No he would not have. 

And my overall point is once Zach is gone you are going to rely even more on Givens. If he is good enough to be a future closer he is good enough to pitch there.  

He's good enough to pitch there imo just didn't get it done tonight. 

1 minute ago, Cumberbundy said:

I don't understand what you're saying. Long day of O's goodness I'm brain fried perhaps.

I personally wanted both traded. As for tonight, Buck is behind the times on back end of the bullpen use, or something is wrong with ZB. He could have gone 2 tonight. 

Many people wanted Zach dealt. I get that. 

My point is a guy like Givens would take on a bigger role once Zach is dealt. If in general Givens is good enough to take over as a closer then why can't he pitch tonight? 

How many mangers yank a red hot relief pitcher there? Nobody. 

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Many people wanted Zach dealt. I get that. 

My point is a guy like Givens would take on a bigger role once Zach is dealt. If in general Givens is good enough to take over as a closer then why can't he pitch tonight? 

How many mangers yank a red hot relief pitcher there? Nobody. 

Oh you didn't want him taken out. I certainly don't disagree. I missed what you were saying, my apologies. I put this L on the bats & Givens. Verlander left a lot of balls to be hit and we didn't make him pay. Then again Davis struck out without getting a strike & only swinging once.

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

No he would not have. 

I didn't have to look too hard to find a game from last year where Buck put Britton into a game with one out in the 8th inning, hoping for a double play to fix the mess left by... Mychal Givens.

And, yes, Zach will be gone one day. But that day is not today, and in fact the FO just told Houston. "Keep your middling prospects because Zach Britton is 1) elite and 2) totally not damaged goods that you will have to baby. In fact, not only will we keep him but he will lead us to the postseason. We're buyers, baby."

So, was Buck babying Britton tonight? Or does he not trust Britton like he used to? If it's either, the FO's message to Houston was a lying posture.

Just now, Cumberbundy said:

Oh you didn't want him taken out. I certainly don't disagree. I missed what you were saying, my apologies. I put this L on the bats & Givens. Verlander left a lot of balls to be hit and we didn't make him pay. Then again Davis struck out without getting a strike & only swinging once.

I'm just saying some people didn't like Givens in that spot. I don't get that. 

If Zach was dealt then it makes Givens even more important.  

Just now, eddie83 said:

I'm just saying some people didn't like Givens in that spot. I don't get that. 

If Zach was dealt then it makes Givens even more important.  

Givens was the best RP in baseball in July. ZB hasn't known where the ball is going. Givens is our guy, Justin Upton gets a lot of money to hit baseballs. 

Archived