Astros GM is going to have a long 2 months.

bpilktree

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zach Britton since DL Stint:

14.2 IP, 16H, 7ER, 4.3ERA, 1.57 Whip, 7BB, 12 SO

Not resembling 2016 yet

If he fails to show effectiveness this year what will the O's be offered in the offseason?

Do they pay him 14 million in arb when they have gaping holes in starting rotation, and he may still be injured/ineffective?

Don't think the Astro's GM  is losing any sleep over not signing an ineffective Zach Britton

22 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Not resembling 2016 yet

If he fails to show effectiveness this year what will the O's be offered in the offseason?

Do they pay him 14 million in arb when they have gaping holes in starting rotation, and he may still be injured/ineffective?

Don't think the Astro's GM  is losing any sleep over not signing an ineffective Zach Britton

A bit misleading, since the Astro's would have gotten post July Britton. His stats in August are 2.45 era and 9 Ks in 11 IP.  I think that's pretty much in line with what we expect from a healthy Britton. 

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone pointed out that Britton's brother is named 'Buck'?

21 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

A bit misleading, since the Astro's would have gotten post July Britton. His stats in August are 2.45 era and 9 Ks in 11 IP.  I think that's pretty much in line with what we expect from a healthy Britton. 

On a completely unrelated note, has anyone pointed out that Britton's brother is named 'Buck'?

Okay you want to look at the 2 2/3 innings he has pitched in August, to a 2.25 WHIP? Zach hasn't been anything like 2016 Zach. Heck he even gave up a HR

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2017 at 0:56 PM, webbrick2010 said:

Not resembling 2016 yet

Don't think the Astros' GM  is losing any sleep over not signing an ineffective Zach Britton

o

Britton has looked better in his last 2 outings.

Perhaps the 4-5 days off off helped his ailing knee.

o

7 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

Yeah, he's had two pretty good outings.     Still, when he enters the game you don't have that uber-confident feeling that we had in 2016.    We're going to need him to be pretty flawless down the stretch  in order to pull out a playoff berth.    

9 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

o

This is probably over dramatizing, but I feel like I saw a "look in his eye" after things got a little dicey yesterday. He just bore down and threw some classic Britton sinkers. Glad we have him for this stretch run. 

It has to be mentally tough to be fighting his tired arm AND a sore knee.  I really do think getting his knee looked at and finding out that nothing is wrong is a huge factor and I think it is why you have seen him look sharper in his last two outings,  

Im not saying he is completely back.  But if his arm is ok and his knee is ok.....He should settle in pretty well.

He looked good yesterday!

https://www.fanragsports.com/astros/heyman-astros-nearly-dealt-moran-canceled-britton-deal/

Heyman says the Astros were offering Colin Moran and lesser prospects (their top specs were off limits). Orioles were concerned with Moran's medicals after his injury last month in Baltimore, and probably also hesitant to deal Britton for a contact hitter. 

Heyman isn't clear, but he seems to imply that Angelos did NOT nix the deal. Maybe others read it differently.

2 minutes ago, VeveJones007 said:

https://www.fanragsports.com/astros/heyman-astros-nearly-dealt-moran-canceled-britton-deal/

Heyman says the Astros were offering Colin Moran and lesser prospects (their top specs were off limits). Orioles were concerned with Moran's medicals after his injury last month in Baltimore, and probably also hesitant to deal Britton for a contact hitter. 

Heyman isn't clear, but he seems to imply that Angelos did NOT nix the deal. Maybe others read it differently.

I'm pretty sure Moran's facial hair canceled the deal.

10 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I think Houston is going to have more than a long 2 months. That is, ANYONE in Houston has bigger things to worry about than a stupid baseball season.

Sad but true.    We do know, though, that having a sports team that has a good season can be a rallying point for a city in a crisis.    

1 hour ago, VeveJones007 said:

There is absolutely nothing that implies Angelos didn't nix the deal. Unless I have a reading comprehension problem. And honestly who the heck else is going to cancel it over the medicals? In the off chance it wasn't Angelos it wouldn't have made it past him anyway. We have seen this movie before.

The Orioles canceled the Britton deal, informing the Astros that there was a medical problem or problems. The Astros seemed to have assumed later that it was owner Peter Angelos who killed the deal, and it’s true that even Orioles people can’t say for sure that the owner would have approved it even if there had been no medical issues. Orioles people also know that their medical team has a “rigorous” standard, and that’s been the case for some time.

That said that return doesn't seem up to par even if all the players were healthy. Even not knowing who the "others" were, sounds like middling prospects at best with a pretty weak headliner in Moran. Pass.

Archived