A Little Redemtion

Camden_yardbird

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

I don't understand not offering him the 20% just so we could use it elsewhere. We own the miss on the health & then magnified it by losing all of that money. Perhaps that's why mlb let us have Bishop. We'll take charity. Bishop looks nice. 

Most folks think they were trying to do a kid a favor by letting him become a free agent.

2 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

I don't understand not offering him the 20% just so we could use it elsewhere. We own the miss on the health & then magnified it by losing all of that money. Perhaps that's why mlb let us have Bishop. We'll take charity. Bishop looks nice. 

Offering him 20% would only have helped the Orioles if they actually signed him for that. Offering 20% had nothing to do with being able or unable to use his slot money elsewhere. The Orioles would have had to sign him to be able to use his slot money with anyone.

Just now, Cumberbundy said:

Yeah but then we can use it elsewhere. We just had to offer it. Maybe we get one of the HS guys we drafted in 17/18. 

If Conlon didn't sign the 400K slot money was gone, that isn't dependent on if they offered him the smaller sum.  The smaller sum was simply to keep other teams from being able to sign him as a free agent.

1 minute ago, Cumberbundy said:

Yeah but then we can use it elsewhere. We just had to offer it. Maybe we get one of the HS guys we drafted in 17/18. 

This is not correct. If you do not sign a player, then you lose the slot money no matter what you offered him.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Most folks think they were trying to do a kid a favor by letting him become a free agent.

Don't tell me that. No...don't tell me that! 

I did read that in his draft thread. That's a narrative that's too hard for me to argue against. I spend most of my year buying Christmas presents for single parents I know to give their kids, I can't argue vs kindness. I can't argue that this is a business with a teenager. 

That would mean he required overslot, knowing he failed a physical, we are kind hearted, & he didn't want to attend college. A lot to believe there. It sounds nice & I hope it's true. 

12 minutes ago, jcarm said:

Offering him 20% would only have helped the Orioles if they actually signed him for that. Offering 20% had nothing to do with being able or unable to use his slot money elsewhere. The Orioles would have had to sign him to be able to use his slot money with anyone.

Once he fails the physical ?

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If Conlon didn't sign the 400K slot money was gone, that isn't dependent on if they offered him the smaller sum.  The smaller sum was simply to keep other teams from being able to sign him as a free agent.

If he fails a physical we get a compensatory pick if we offer some % don't we? The mlb rules are a lot to keep up with. If we offered him & he declined then he'd go to school, we'd get a pick?

I wonder why we didn't anticipate him failing the next teams physical if it was just kindness. It's definitely an odd situation for a guy we were ready to give $1,000,000 to.

I like us being the empathetic O's though. Just a kid, I like that a lot if true. 

1 minute ago, Cumberbundy said:

If he fails a physical we get a compensatory pick if we offer some % don't we? The mlb rules are a lot to keep up with. If we offered him & he declined then he'd go to school, we'd get a pick?

I wonder why we didn't anticipate him failing the next teams physical if it was just kindness. It's definitely an odd situation for a guy we were ready to give $1,000,000 to.

I like us being the empathetic O's though. Just a kid, I like that a lot if true. 

Not in the fourth round.  I think it's the first three rounds.  (I could be wrong)

Frankly I am very surprised that some team wouldn't have signed him.  I wonder if he just wanted to end the drama after the Giants?  Plenty of teams have the money to throw at a flyer, even an injured one.

I wonder if the full story will ever leak out?

22 minutes ago, jcarm said:

This is not correct. If you do not sign a player, then you lose the slot money no matter what you offered him.

Thank you JCarm & Corn. So the failure is in drafting him at all. 405,000 wasted because we didn't just take Frobby and give him $5000 bucks - it can't be a coincidence that we are who ended up in this situation. 

Archived