Duquette Future

Deadwood Fan

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Who do you think was going to replace the 15 wins that Norris had on the 2014 team.  Which is the best team the O's have had in the last 20 years.

I'd have had Gausman in the rotation for the entire year for one.

I'm guessing the O's could have picked up a #6 starter for less than Hader, Hoes and a first round pick.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What makes you think there is going to be a rebuild.  I doubt 87 year old Peter wants a rebuild.  He is a win now guy.  Dan and Buck have both been win now guys for the last 6 years.  

The O's need to add some starting pitching.   The are already talking about moving Castro to being a starter.  They appear ready to trade Britton.  Probably for starting pitching.  Dan normally trades minor leaguers for major leaguers and he will probably add starting talent in that manner this off season. 

The O's have a pennant contending team at Bowie that will net them some majors leaguers led but Hayes.   I don't see a rebuild.  I see a reload ordered by Peter.

Time stands still for no man.   Change is inevitable in terms of how things have always been.    I am hopeful that the Orioles will bring a strong, energetic, analytic GM to lead the next phase.  But you could be right, of course.  We shall see.     Although "The Orioles need to add some starting pitching."  is what I would call the understatement of the year.    And, the Orioles have always "needed to add some starting pitching" since the times of when Palmer, et. al were in uniform.     Needing to and actually doing so are two way different things. 

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree that, just like last time, there will be a series of seasons where an attempt will be made to patch together a contender.  You don't get a 14 year streak of under .500 ball by doing things the sensible way.

I think the current scouting director is much better than years ago. Perhaps with the slotting system Peter isn't impacting who we draft as much as years ago either.  

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing the O's could have picked up a #6 starter for less than Hader, Hoes and a first round pick.

Gausman had chances in 13 and was rather inconsistent. I can see where Dan did not want to count on him as a definite in 14. Ubaldo of course not the right guy to add.  

26 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree that, just like last time, there will be a series of seasons where an attempt will be made to patch together a contender.  You don't get a 14 year streak of under .500 ball by doing things the sensible way.

That is why I said be careful what you wish for in getting rid of Dan. 

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

#6 starter don't win 15 games.  Just by pitching well enough to win that many games he was at least a #3.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

#6 starter don't win 15 games.  Just by pitching well enough to win that many games he was at least a #3.

What?

Huh?

Are you using pitching wins to determine what caliber of pitcher he was?

Is this the 1950's?

Five of the six starters had pretty interchangeable seasons in 2014 (Ublado being the odd man out).

You give 10 more starts to Gausman and you are mostly there.

They won the division by double digits.

(btw with a 5.25 ERA Gausman has already matched his career high in wins...pitching wins are a stupid stat)

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What?

Huh?

Are you using pitching wins to determine what caliber of pitcher he was?

Is this the 1950's?

Five of the six starters had pretty interchangeable seasons in 2014 (Ublado being the odd man out).

You give 10 more starts to Gausman and you are mostly there.

They won the division by double digits.

(btw with a 5.25 ERA Gausman has already matched his career high in wins...pitching wins are a stupid stat)

Use what every you want.  Norris was certainly better the Ubaldo in 2014.   Norris had more starts, more innings, better WHIP and  a lower average against then Gonzo.   Norris was the O's #3 in 2014 based on results.   

Gausman has yet to have as good a season has Norris had in 2014.

1 minute ago, Il BuonO said:

No, no, no. Pitching wins are the bestest! Get on board, pal!

Pay attention.  Frobby said  "He was admittedly pretty good in 2014, though I'm pretty confident we would have won the division without him." 

I want to know who would had replaced him.   Gausman has not had that kind on season yet. 

20 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Pay attention.  Frobby said  "He was admittedly pretty good in 2014, though I'm pretty confident we would have won the division without him." 

I want to know who would had replaced him.   Gausman has not had that kind on season yet. 

Gausman had pretty much the same season that Tillman, Gonzo, Chen and Norris had in 2014.  Just take 12 of his starts in the minors and make them 10 more starts in the majors.  Norris made 28 starts, you only need to replace 18 more.

I find it very hard to believe that whatever warm bodies the O's would have dredged up couldn't hold a 12 game lead for 18 starts.

Archived