Will the Orioles have three new starters from outside the organization next season?

Diehard_O's_Fan

Trading Gausman at the low point of his value makes no sense.  Keep him and hope he gets better.  

I like the idea of giving Castro a shot next year, but that leaves two bona fide major league starters to sign, and some AAA depth.  Miley, Jimenez and Tillman should not get anything more than a minor league contract from this team.  

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

Orioles starting Rotation 2018:

1. Bundy

2. Gausman

3. Castro 

4. Retread scrap heap pitcher that we will waste 3/40 or 2/20 on that everyone complains about for 3 years, and uses as evidence (every day, every waking second) that Dan Duquette is the worst GM ever for signing this guy, completely ignoring 1-3 or how the owner won't let him sign an actual good pitcher.

5. Retread scrap heap pitcher that we will waste 3/40 or 2/20 on that everyone complains about for 3 years, and uses as evidence (every day, every waking second) that Dan Duquette is the worst GM ever for signing this guy, completely ignoring 1-3 or how the owner won't let him sign an actual good pitcher.

6. Tillman

Total pitching expenditure - around 35m. Or what an actual contender would spend on their TOR in 2018. 

The end.

I only partly agree with this.  Except there will be 5 retread scrap heap pitchers.  Dan will have to wait till 4 are signed by other teams for 5 dollars more than the one he then signs to a bad deal.  The 1 he signs will turn out to be Ubaldo, while the others turn into the Ervin Santanas, Happs, Lirianos. 

The 5 slot will be reserved for the 2018 version of Tyler Wilson, Mike Wright, Gabriel Ynoa, whomever.  

No way does the old man let him sign two free agent pitchers. 

59 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

They sure didn't waste much time promoting Bundy or Gausman.

If my memory is correct they sent out hints about Gausman during their 2012 run being a possibility. 

Harvey could be a late year option. Hope he is healthy/producing wel enough to be the case.  

If they were smart they'd sign either Darvish or Cobb. They need one guy to really anchor the rotation. Then you sign someone like Chatwood, Gonzalez, or Garcia for the back end. 

1. Darvish or Cobb 

2. Bundy 

3. Gausmen 

4. Veteran #4  

5. Castro, Wright, Tillman on a 1 year deal 

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

Trading Gausman at the low point of his value makes no sense.  Keep him and hope he gets better.  

I like the idea of giving Castro a shot next year, but that leaves two bona fide major league starters to sign, and some AAA depth.  Miley, Jimenez and Tillman should not get anything more than a minor league contract from this team.  

I just have a hard time seeing Potter giving approval to sign TWO bona fide major league starters off the free agent market.    One.    Bundy, Gausman, Castro, one free agent and then the five slot is potpourri from the minor leagues...whichever shuttle arm sticks longest.  

6 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I just have a hard time seeing Potter giving approval to sign TWO bona fide major league starters off the free agent market.    One.    Bundy, Gausman, Castro, one free agent and then the five slot is potpourri from the minor leagues...whichever shuttle arm sticks longest.  

I wouldn't have thought so a month ago, but Miley has a reasonable option and is exactly the type of pitcher the Orioles have made a habit of acquiring.

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I would leave Castro is his present role. He is very effective.

Good starters are the hardest thing for the O's to acquire.  If Castro can be a good starter that is where the O's need him.  They can acquire good relievers easier than starters.  In fact they may have two on the farm that have not been tried yet.  Wotherspoon and Meisinger.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Good starters are the hardest thing for the O's to acquire.  If Castro can be a good starter that is where the O's need him.  They can acquire good relievers easier than starters.  In fact they may have two on the farm that have not been tried yet.  Wotherspoon and Meisinger.

Maybe it is time for the Zach reconversion to starter idea to resurface.   lol.  

Its crazy to talk of trading Gausman.  The O's only have 2 ML starters signed for next year-Bundy and Gausman.  If the O's trade Gausman they need 4 ML starters not 3.  Gausman has the potential to be a good #2 and frequently shows flashes of that ability.  Do you want to fill out the rotation w/ 4 Mileys or Hellicksons? 

I would hope the O's sign at least 1 above average starter this offseason.  I'm tired of the O's dumpster diving for starters and ending up w/ pitchers like Miley, Hellickson and Ubaldo.  If the O's had 3 above average starter this season, they would probably be right on Boston's heels for the division and have the wild card sewn up.

6 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

His agent would never allow it.

His agent has no way to stop it.

What could Boras do?

Complain to the media?

Complain to the players' association?

I think complaining would be his only option.

Is there a part of the collective bargaining agreement that allows for agents to control how their clients are used in games that I'm not familiar with?

Boras is not a super villain.  He's an agent.  He doesn't have mind control powers to force his clients to enter free agency and he doesn't have the ability to control how clubs utilize his clients.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

His agent has no way to stop it.

What could Boras do?

Complain to the media?

Complain to the players' association?

I think complaining would be his only option.

Is there a part of the collective bargaining agreement that allows for agents to control how their clients are used in games that I'm not familiar with?

Boras is not a super villain.  He's an agent.  He doesn't have mind control powers to force his clients to enter free agency and he doesn't have the ability to control how clubs utilize his clients.

How many years has this sentiment been posted, and some people still don't get it? Sheer ignorance. I gave up a while ago.

UThe O's, with some good luck in development, could have a nice rotation by 2019 if Bundy, Gausman, Harvey, Akin, Wells, Louther, Bauman, Bishop, and maybe Sedlock stay healthy and produce.

But I have no idea for 2018. But a few things to consider:

A) The O's will not spend money on the likes of Darvish or any other sought after starters.

B) Beyond Bundy and Gausman, Castro is the only in house option worth looking at and that's if a transition back to starter works; that experiment could be over real quick if it looks rocky.

C) We do have some trade chips with Britton, Brach, and our abundance of young position prospects

D) Teams do trade bad contracts for bad contracts, so what under performing starters are out there that have contracts comparable to Trumbo, Davis, and O'Day? 

E) If Angelos' opens his wallet for a free agent pitcher, we know by now what type of quality we will go after, so start sifting through the less in demand types early while everyone starts the bidding on Darvish, Arrieta, and Cobb.

So if my goal was to be competitive for 2018, I'd try something like the following.

Bundy

Gausman

Trade Britton or Brach or a prospect for a young MLB ready arm

Sign a Feldman type on 2 year contract

Go with Castro or a bad contract pitcher by trading one of our bad contracts, most likely Trumbo

Archived