Assuming we trade Manny, who's our target for 3B?

Frobby

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Orioles have "no intention" of shopping Manny Machado.

But it also seems highly doubtful that the O's will be able to lock up the 25-year-old third baseman to a contract extension with free agency looming after the 2018 season. Heyman hears club ownership was "within $8 million or $9 million" of making it happen a few years back. Machado has been on fire in the second half of 2017 and is up to 32 home runs and 92 RBI through 147 total games this year. He's also played his usual brand of excellent defense.
Source: FanRag Sports
Sep 21 - 12:20 PM

17 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, the Orioles have "no intention" of shopping Manny Machado.

But it also seems highly doubtful that the O's will be able to lock up the 25-year-old third baseman to a contract extension with free agency looming after the 2018 season. Heyman hears club ownership was "within $8 million or $9 million" of making it happen a few years back. Machado has been on fire in the second half of 2017 and is up to 32 home runs and 92 RBI through 147 total games this year. He's also played his usual brand of excellent defense.

This is such a joke. He is a once in a generation type of talent and we were that close to a deal? I mean does Peter have any clue of what he is doing? He can't roll the dice on a player of Manny's skills but then pays Davis after he turns 30. Unreal. 

8 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

This is such a joke. He is a once in a generation type of talent and we were that close to a deal? I mean does Peter have any clue of what he is doing? He can't roll the dice on a player of Manny's skills but then pays Davis after he turns 30. Unreal. 

Yea, hard to imagine letting 8 or 9 million over the length of the deal be a deal stopper.

28 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Saying we were within $8-9 million a few years ago really tells us nothing.

13 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Why is it was  5 year deal that only went 2 years longer than his arbitration years?

Any deal to lock him up should not be closed over 8/9M. I don't care the length. 

I assumed Manny's camp was greedy. Just floors me at how our owner after owning a team for as long as he has still doesn't get it. At 20 years old this kid hit 50 doubles and played as good a 3rd base as we have ever seen, once again at 20 years old. Meanwhile a 30 year old one dimensional 1B gets 160M. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Any deal to lock him up should not be closed over 8/9M. I don't care the length. 

I assumed Manny's camp was greedy. Just floors me at how our owner after owning a team for as long as he has still doesn't get it. At 20 years old this kid hit 50 doubles and played as good a 3rd base as we have ever seen, once again at 20 years old. Meanwhile a 30 year old one dimensional 1B gets 160M. 

Hypothically speaking, it's not just $8/9 million if you also factor in the difference between contract salary and arbitration salary.

again, just saying "$8/9 million apart" tells us nothing

9 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Hypothically speaking, it's not just $8/9 million if you also factor in the difference between contract salary and arbitration salary.

again, just saying "$8/9 million apart" tells us nothing

There is very little if not zero incentive for the Orioles to offer Manny a deal without extending him beyond 2017. 

I am missing what you are trying to say here.  

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

There is very little if not zero incentive for the Orioles to offer Manny a deal without extending him beyond 2017. 

I am missing what you are trying to say here.  

I'm saying, hypothetically, we offered Manny 5yr/90 million after 2015 and Manny wanted $5/100.

That contract would put him under contract thru 2020. Although the number is only $10 million apart, you'd also have a difference in $30 million between the proposed contract salary and what Manny ended up getting in arbitration, and he's only guaranteed to be around for an extra 2 years past team control.

Thats why the $8/9 million difference can be deceiving.

Wow didn't realize that close to locking up Manny.. O's ownership pathetic. Did the same with Cruz.. right? I think he just wanted 4 yr deal  & O's wouldn't come off 3 yr.. Cruz  is well into his 30s too but he excelled & Davis stands there looking then just busy going to the bank.. whole different attitude to the game & maybe a better manager motivating players.. mmmm Buck???

6 minutes ago, Gman!! said:

Wow didn't realize that close to locking up Manny.. O's ownership pathetic. Did the same with Cruz.. right? I think he just wanted 4 yr deal  & O's wouldn't come off 3 yr.. Cruz  is well into his 30s too but he excelled & Davis stands there looking then just busy going to the bank.. whole different attitude to the game & maybe a better manager motivating players.. mmmm Buck???

That close to locking him up til when?

Archived