Ervin Santana

POR

Santana has not never been on the Orioles but I can think of at least three times that he has been rumored to be acquired by the Orioles.

1.  He was part of the package the Angels were going to trade for Miguel Tejeda.  The Orioles got very little production from the Astros package.

2.  Santana and Ubaldo were the two starting pitching free agent left four years ago.  Even after the Orioles signed Ubaldo, there was some talk that they were still trying to sign Santana.

3.  Last year at the trade deadline it seemed to make little sense for the Twins to hang on Santana and the Orioles needed pitching.

Now Santana is starting the wildcard game.  He has been a pretty good work horse for thirteen years.   His FIP is strangely high this year but his WHIP and ERA are very good.

Granted it is tougher to pitch in the AL East, but Santana is an underrated pitcher and would have been an good acquisition at any of those times. 

1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

I always thought it was odd that we chose Ubaldo over him. That whole off season they wanted a veteran guy who could eat innings and throw strikes. Santana did all of that. Guess he gave up too many homers or something.

Maybe Santana didn't want to pitch here?

Supposedly Santana has a really nasty looking elbow.  I remember it was driving down his value when he was a free agent.  Likely the Orioles were worried about it.

it’s pretty obvious the Orioles thought a market inefficiency was pitchers who are somewhat mediocre but don’t get injured.  It hasn’t worked out so well unfortunately. 

10 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

I always thought it was odd that we chose Ubaldo over him. That whole off season they wanted a veteran guy who could eat innings and throw strikes. Santana did all of that. Guess he gave up too many homers or something.

He had the torn UCL like Tanaka.

14 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Nah. They didn't offer him enough money.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I'm not sure Santana would have signed for 4/$50 mm.   He ended up signing for $14.1 for one year and then 4/$55 mm.

He likely would have signed a 4 year deal rather than the Braves 1 year deal , but nobody was offering him one in 2013-2014 due to arm concerns if I recall.  After the 1year make good deal, then he got a bigger deal the next year than Ubaldo. 

Archived