Jones To Talk With Ownership In Offseason

Can_of_corn

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

I don't think that a baseball team has to be run like a military organization. Teams make their own rules. I'm fine with that.

The military isn't the only organization that has a set chain of command. 

Some folks like not being undercut by employees that have a special relationship with the person at top.

But I suppose anyone working for Angelos has to expect things to be run like that.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brady's position (and the way he performs it) totally defies chain of command.

Jones' special relationship isn't just with ownership, it's with his teammates, the media and the fans. I'm sure there are plenty of players in MLB who have direct access to the top on certain subjects. Doesn't mean they have the owner on speed dial, but their voice is considered important on certain matters.

For years, we had players complain privately but not take a stand. 

I'm glad that Jones CARES enough to want the team to win. Sure, Davis and Trumbo signings were problematic for 2017 but Jones had nothing to do with their performance. On paper, their production should have been better. 

The nasty attitudes here about Jones are perplexing. The man has bled orange since day one. During the darkest of times many of us wished there was a leader on the team and then when a guy stands up and wants to win, we complain about the guy. 

I hope Jones has the wherewithal to discuss the international draft and improving scouting, development and the procurement of starting pitchers. 

2017 is gone. Time to figure out the next few years. 

MSK 

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Brady's position (and the way he performs it) totally defies chain of command.

Jones' special relationship isn't just with ownership, it's with his teammates, the media and the fans. I'm sure there are plenty of players in MLB who have direct access to the top on certain subjects. Doesn't mean they have the owner on speed dial, but their voice is considered important on certain matters.

I'm not disagreeing.

I gave my opinion, that having folks jump the chain of command and potentially undercut folks they are supposed to be working for isn't healthy.

You can most certainly disagree and think that sort of behavior is great.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm not disagreeing.

I gave my opinion, that having folks jump the chain of command and potentially undercut folks they are supposed to be working for isn't healthy.

You can most certainly disagree and think that sort of behavior is great.

What I think about it has nothing to do with the way you describe it. 

5 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

What I think about it has nothing to do with the way you describe it. 

Then go ahead and explain in depth how Jones bypassing Buck and Dan is a good thing.

I'm open to new ideas.

I know that if I am Buck or Dan I wouldn't be happy about it.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Then go ahead and explain in depth how Jones bypassing Buck and Dan is a good thing.

I'm open to new ideas.

They might not be happy about it, just as Dave Wallace didn't like Brady speaking directly to his pitchers. Then again, they might not care at all. You seem to be presuming that it bothers them, but we don't know if that is the case.

The Orioles are a family owned and operated business that runs by its own rules. It also happens to be a business that involves stars who get paid way more than the managers they report to. Wherever start are involved, the rules bend for them.

I'm not saying that one way of running a business is better than the other, just that there are different ways to run a business, and each organization needs to find its own style and culture. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't like it then either.

These relationship with the owner seem to happen when the team is trying to sign an expensive player right around the time of his free agency.  In some cases, its kind on hard for the owner to be involved in the signing without talking to the player.   Once the player is signed the relationship with the owner continues.   

So it only  the  more experienced players that have the relationship and only those that want to have it.   Davis was signed.  The owner was involved.  But that relationship does not seem to be there as far as I know.

2 hours ago, wildcard said:

Nor do I.

Saying that Jones could talk to  Peter about accepting a trade borders on nasty IMO.

I don't think so.    If the Orioles decide that they want to rebuild, Adam has made clear he doesn't want to go that direction.   He can veto any trade, so it's reasonable to discuss that topic with him.    

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm open to new ideas.

Some interaction across levels of organization is often encouraged and can be beneficial. In a few weeks I and about a dozen others at my or similar levels will have lunch with my boss' boss who is pretty far removed from our day-to-day jobs. The mid-tier bosses won't be there at all. This is pretty common. In the military higher ranking officers will interact with officers, NCO's, etc. As long as Adam's views are taken with a grain of salt and he's not trying to play GM, then I don't think it can hurt. Adam's advocation for better outfield defense wasn't really addressed last year for example (unless benching Kim was part of the plan). Angelos' disconnection from the players has become pretty extreme. He apparently hasn't been in the locker room in years and many players have commented over many years that they have never met the man. That seems odder than Adam's lunch to me. I know if any of us were owners we would be around the team more than that. Angelos had lunch with Markakis a time or two or three too. I think Markakis reached out because he felt like the owner was a million miles away (from what I recall from the time).  

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't like it then either.

Weren't you in the military? Doesn't a good officer interact with lower ranks to get a better feel for what's happening in their unit(s), a feel for how mid-level officers and NCO's are performing, etc.?

Archived