Jones To Talk With Ownership In Offseason

Can_of_corn

7 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Weren't you in the military? Doesn't a good officer interact with lower ranks to get a better feel for what's happening in their unit(s), a feel for how mid-level officers and NCO's are performing, etc.?

A good officer interacting with the lower ranks isn't the same as a SSG bypassing the CSM and the XO to go have a one on one with the CO.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Exactly why they shouldn't talk w him about personnel decisions.

But keep in mind that according to Rock, Jones specifically said he is NOT going advocate for anything.  He is NOT playing GM.  He just wants to talk about his future with the O's.  And that's perfectly reasonable.  

11 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Weren't you in the military? Doesn't a good officer interact with lower ranks to get a better feel for what's happening in their unit(s), a feel for how mid-level officers and NCO's are performing, etc.?

Also, in my experience in the military the CO didn't interact with the enlisted folks, they allowed the cadre of NCOs and junior officers handle things.  They were not totally isolated from the enlisted and some had open door policies where the junior enlisted could talk to them.  However from what I understand the first question in any open door meeting is "Did you bring this up to your chain of command?"

It's certainly not too early to talk to AJ about his future with the Orioles.  It's also not too early to talk to him about a move to RF.  I would broach the subject of an extension linked to a move to RF and see what he says.  AJ's been a terrific asset to the team for almost all of his career, and an effort should be made to let him play out the rest of it in Baltimore under mutually beneficial terms.  If that scenario doesn't suit him, it's not the end of the world for the Orioles.

Just now, Ruzious said:

But keep in mind that according to Rock, Jones specifically said he is NOT going advocate for anything.  He is NOT playing GM.  He just wants to talk about his future with the O's.  And that's perfectly reasonable.  

That is. Reading the story probably would have helped there.

Just now, Ruzious said:

Pretty sure Adam is going to advocate going for it in 2018.

14 hours ago, panick said:

So I guess the O's are supposed to just care about next year for Jones. Does anyone think he would move to RF of LF if it helps the team win? I don't. He has too high an opinion of himself to admit that he's not a good CF anymore.

I don't remember seeing a poll about whether or not the organization should go for a rebuild or not, but I have seen several posters wanting the rebuild. Who cares if Duquette and Showalter don't like it. I'd rather start a rebuild this offseason so that in 2019 we might have a team that will be good for several years, rather than one that might be good next year and then be lousy for several years.

If you posters are right that Jones wanted Davis, O'Day and Trumbo resigned, he has already made it impossible to do a total rebuild for at least another 2 years. Many thanks to Jones. Hopefully after next season he's chewing his gum for another team.

Show some respect.  He's been the face of our franchise for the last decade.  He just wants to win like all of us, and of course he wants to keep playing with the guys (Trumbo, Davis, O'day) who have helped the team win in the past, and whom he's gotten to know and love like his family.  He has the right to express his opinion to the front office.  It's 100% the front office's fault for LISTENING to him. 

Please leave Adam alone.

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A good officer interacting with the lower ranks isn't the same as a SSG bypassing the CSM and the XO to go have a one on one with the CO.

And that’s what Adam’s doing? I guess that’s how you see it. Not wrong just not necessarily what is happening as you allow. As you mentioned this is Angelos’ world and he seems to almost discourage linear chains of command. In the Angelos scheme I reckon Adam is the least of DD’s concerns about chain of command! ?

But I do think Angelis’ disconnect from players seems extreme. 

3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

And that’s what Adam’s doing? I guess that’s how you see it. Not wrong just not necessarily what is happening as you allow. As you mentioned this is Angelos’ world and he seems to almost discourage linear chains of command. In the Angelos scheme I reckon Adam is the least of DD’s concerns about chain of command! ?

But I do think Angelis’ disconnect from players seems extreme. 

How else would you see it?  Mind you I was using the military equivalents since my prior service was mentioned.

Jones is possibly bypassing Buck and almost certainly bypassing Dan to talk to the owner directly. 

If I am Dan than the fact that someone went by me to convince ownership to give Davis that idiotic contact yes I would be worried that Jones will talk Angelos into an extension.

Well if my contract wasn't up in a year anyway I'd be worried.  As is, I'd be working on my resume.

A lot of presumptive posts within this thread IMO. 

Do we, as fans, know that Adam Jones did not have a conversation with both Dan and Buck about bending the BOSSES EAR??

Do we, as fans, know if Peter Angelos or one of his minions had asked to have Adam Jones to make an appearance in front of Peter Angelos??

Do we know that this whole conversation about the Orioles and Adam Jones was not started by Buck,Dan or Peter and this article is just part of the conversation???

I do know that as fans we do put the Cart before the Horse on many topics.

3 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

A lot of presumptive posts within this thread IMO. 

Do we, as fans, know that Adam Jones did not have a conversation with both Dan and Buck about bending the BOSSES EAR??

Do we, as fans, know if Peter Angelos or one of his minions had asked to have Adam Jones to make an appearance in front of Peter Angelos??

Do we know that this whole conversation about the Orioles and Adam Jones was not started by Buck,Dan or Peter and this article is just part of the conversation???

I do know that as fans we do put the Cart before the Horse on many topics.

Did I miss the piece all the local media wrote about Adam and Dan having a meeting?

I don't think much of most of the beat writers but I do think they would have mentioned such a thing as it would seem to be newsworthy.

Odd also that neither Adam nor Dan mentioned it.

15 hours ago, panick said:

So I guess the O's are supposed to just care about next year for Jones. Does anyone think he would move to RF of LF if it helps the team win? I don't. He has too high an opinion of himself to admit that he's not a good CF anymore.

I don't remember seeing a poll about whether or not the organization should go for a rebuild or not, but I have seen several posters wanting the rebuild. Who cares if Duquette and Showalter don't like it. I'd rather start a rebuild this offseason so that in 2019 we might have a team that will be good for several years, rather than one that might be good next year and then be lousy for several years.

If you posters are right that Jones wanted Davis, O'Day and Trumbo resigned, he has already made it impossible to do a total rebuild for at least another 2 years. Many thanks to Jones. Hopefully after next season he's chewing his gum for another team.

I want AJ  to retire as an Oriole. To me AJ is a team player. If Buck wanted him to go to RF then he would. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Did I miss the piece all the local media wrote about Adam and Dan having a meeting?

I don't think much of most of the beat writers but I do think they would have mentioned such a thing as it would seem to be newsworthy.

Odd also that neither Adam nor Dan mentioned it.

So the press/media have the privilege of knowing the phone calls that Adam makes/receives??

I just am reading less into this than most do.  I

1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

So the press/media have the privilege of knowing the phone calls that Adam makes/receives??

I just am reading less into this than most do.  I

I think you, like all of us, have a set of beliefs and how you interrupt news is filtered by those beliefs.

We both see no evidence of Adam having a conversation with Dan and you chose to believe such a conversation may have taken place and I chose to believe it did not.

I don't expect we will ever find out.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think you, like all of us, have a set of beliefs and how you interrupt news is filtered by those beliefs.

We both see no evidence of Adam having a conversation with Dan and you chose to believe such a conversation may have taken place and I chose to believe it did not.

I don't expect we will ever find out.

Exactly.  Nor should we, except for someone that is running a gossip page somewhere.

Archived