Adam on the Buck/Dan relationship

wildcard

34 minutes ago, interloper said:

The poor wording in this has me super confused. Can someone explain to me what this means?

He’s saying if John Angelos is worried about what OH thinks in regards to firing DD/Buck, he should sell the team to someone more responsible. 

I had to read it about 5 times.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

It would be interesting if we ran a poll on OH simply asking responders do they favor firing Buck, Dan, both or neither? I would welcome Tony's comments and I think John Angelos might be interested in what plays out in this exercise.

Is John reading the board again?

23 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

It would be interesting if we ran a poll on OH simply asking responders do they favor firing Buck, Dan, both or neither? I would welcome Tony's comments and I think John Angelos might be interested in what plays out in this exercise.

The warehouse is like Game of Thrones. There is house Buck and house Duquette. As long as Angelos has been the owner there has always been these factions within the warehouse whether it was GM/manager, Development vs Scouting, or something going on.

From what I've heard, Duquette lost a lot of influence with Angelos after the Toronto thing and Buck filled that vacuum quickly. I've also heard that Buck and Dan's relationship is not very good, and that might be understating it. 

Should one get fired? Why? What's going to improve unless Angelos is going to bring in someone to run the whole show and have all the baseball power? I think Angelos likes to have his factions. If Duquette or Buck are fired, they would just get replaced by a new faction unless they brought in a figurehead type. 

The starting pitching doomed this team. Although the starting pitching was the known weakspot, and you can argue that Duquette could have tried to fix it last offseason  although the options were scarce, at the end of the day, who could have predicted a total meltdown? The Orioles starter's ERA was their worse in history and almost MLB historically bad. My worse case scenario didn't include that.

Duquette and Buck each have one more year on their contracts. Why not give them one more year to retool and try one more time? I have hard time firing them over the starting pitching meltdown.

Saying that, Davies and Bridwell could have saved this starting staff and they were both given away. This gives me concerns about the Orioles' ability to evaluate their inhouse talent and in Bridwell's case, make the proper adjustments that would have seen him have success here instead of out west.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

The warehouse is like Game of Thrones. There is house Buck and house Duquette. As long as Angelos has been the owner there has always been these factions within the warehouse whether it was GM/manager, Development vs Scouting, or something going on.

From what I've heard, Duquette lost a lot of influence with Angelos after the Toronto thing and Buck filled that vacuum quickly. I've also heard that Buck and Dan's relationship is not very good, and that might be understating it. 

It's pretty understandable that DD lost influence after the Toronto escapade.    If you've got two guys bending your ear, one of whom has been 100% loyal and one of whom has shown he'd rather be somewhere else, which way are you going to lean?

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It's pretty understandable that DD lost influence after the Toronto escapade.    If you've got two guys bending your ear, one of whom has been 100% loyal and one of whom has shown he'd rather be somewhere else, which way are you going to lean?

Assuming that I can understand how the "somewhere else" could be seen as a better job, a better fit or otherwise career-enhancing, I hope I would listen to the is one who has demonstrated that he knows what he's talking about. 

On 10/1/2017 at 0:02 PM, spiritof66 said:

You might be moved to tears when you see who replaces them.

I worry that Duquette's successor will be either an "old-school" type who hasn't kept up with today's game or Brady Anderson and that, if that hire has a lot to say about Buck's successor, as he should, that won't go well either.

Well you do have a point there. 

23 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

The scary thing is, this is not the off-season to go after starting pitching.  I have a feeling that, aside from Bundy and Gausman, at least two of our starters will come from this group- Tillman, Miley, Wright, Asher, Aquino, Scott, Ynoa, Castro.  

We aren't putting out the money for the top guys on the market- right now Arrieta and Darvish (both over 30) and could possibly include Cute and Tanaka if they opt out.  The second tier is Alex Cobb and Lance Lynn, and I see them getting at least 5 years, $75 million apiece, and that is going to take the Orioles out of the running for them.  Even taking a flier on a reclamation project could prove to be an expensive one year deal.  

So that leaves a trade to accomplish the goal of hopefully acquiring a TORP.  Considering how we've approached this in the past, a trade of this magnitude is going to be hard to work out, if the Orioles even do it at all.  Now, we have an excess of bullpen arms and OF prospects behind Hays who could get a deal done, and the FA market could give us a replacement bullpen arm, but even then, given the organizational philosophy, do we really see them pulling off a deal for a guy like Gerrit Cole on the market?  

I have a feeling that we bring back Tillman or Miley, let the rest of the guys who have started this year battle it out, and try to dumpster dive on the trade market, and they hope and pray that results are different this year.  It's not the recipe for success, but like I said, this is not the off-season to acquire starting pitching.  

Would like Lynn to be signed by DD but I know that won't happen. So dumpster dive here we come.

4 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm guessing that right now the number one point of contention is what to do about Tillman.  My guess is that Dan wanted to cut Tillman loose months ago and wants no part of him for next season, while Buck insisted on sticking by him and wants him back. 

That makes zero sense. If Duquette wanted to cut Tillman loose months ago...by that same logic shouldn't he have cut Ubaldo months ago as well? Why the hell did Ubaldo make it the entire season? I strongly doubt it's Buck. 

Archived