Off Season News

Diehard_O's_Fan

Boston Globe reporting this ...

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/10/07/torey-luvullo-brought-love-yes-love-diamondbacks-clubhouse/HsIpMKRh4Hid1hXDCBwwyI/story.html

5. Buck Showalter, manager, Orioles — Did Showalter lose control of his clubhouse? It’s a sentiment you’re hearing more and more among baseball insiders, and players have told their agents that was the case.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, xian4 said:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/redsox/2017/10/07/torey-luvullo-brought-love-yes-love-diamondbacks-clubhouse/HsIpMKRh4Hid1hXDCBwwyI/story.html

5. Buck Showalter, manager, Orioles — Did Showalter lose control of his clubhouse? It’s a sentiment you’re hearing more and more among baseball insiders, and players have told their agents that was the case.

If it is true...

He's got to go right?

Can't let Sisco, Hays and the other young up and comers learn how to be major leaguers in that sort of environment.

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If it is true...

He's got to go right?

Can't let Sisco, Hays and the other young up and comers learn how to be major leaguers in that sort of environment.

I don't know what to make of rumors like that.    According to Cafardo (who in my opinion is a pretty knowledgeable reporter but a bit of an instigator), unidentified players have told unidentified agents that Buck lost the clubhouse, and that is a "sentiment" he is hearing among unidentified "baseball insiders."    I can't say there's nothing there, but I don't necessarily buy into this kind of reporting, either.    Let Cafardo worry about whether John Farrell is going to be fired for merely winning back to back division titles.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't know what to make of rumors like that.    According to Cafardo (who in my opinion is a pretty knowledgeable reporter but a bit of an instigator), unidentified players have told unidentified agents that Buck lost the clubhouse, and that is a "sentiment" he is hearing among unidentified "baseball insiders."    I can't say there's nothing there, but I don't necessarily buy into this kind of reporting, either.    Let Cafardo worry about whether John Farrell is going to be fired for merely winning back to back division titles.

Oh sure, I said if and I meant it.

But to me losing a clubhouse is pretty much always a fireable offense.  Unless your team is so loaded it doesn't make a difference if they listen.

35 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But to me losing a clubhouse is pretty much always a fireable offense.  Unless your team is so loaded it doesn't make a difference if they listen.

It would be with most teams, but probably not with Angelos.

1 hour ago, xian4 said:

Red Sox would hire him in a second. 

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree, though "losing the clubhouse" can mean a lot of things.    There are 25 guys in there.  

I want to hear that from other sources then a Red Sox reporter before I believe it.

I don't see that the O's quit on Buck.  They just were not a good enough team to win when it counted.   They were 1 out of the wildcard on Sept 5th.  They lost one the the Yankees and then went on the road.  They weren't a good road team all year.   The lost 3 to the Indians who were in the middle of a historic run.   Then the battled the Jays but could not score on the road.   Then then played the Yankees on the road and lost.  

After that Sept 17th they were done and Buck starting playing rookies instead of beat up players like Jones. What happen after that really does not matter.

Bottom line was the O's hang in until that hit a spot in the September schedule  were they were outplayed on the road.   The end.  I don't think Buck lost the team.  I think the team was not good enough to win.

Losing control of the clubhouse? This is such a broad statement and it's completely irresponsible to report it without any facts. Sport's reporters just throw you know what at the wall to see what sticks, as opposed to properly flushing out/vetting stories because everyone's so concerned with be the first to break news. They all hope we'll remember the one time they got it right and forget about the hundreds of times they got it wrong. 

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Losing control of the clubhouse? This is such a broad statement and it's completely irresponsible to report it without any facts. Sport's reporters just throw you know what at the wall to see what sticks, as opposed to properly flushing out/vetting stories because everyone's so concerned with be the first to break news. They all hope we'll remember the one time they got it right and forget about the hundreds of times they got it wrong. 

I don't even know what it means - to lose the clubhouse.  And it probably means different things to different people.  Were people intentionally making out?  Nobody does that.  Was Manny intentionally making poor base-running decisions?  And if those kinds of things are happening, isn't it the players people should be criticizing?  At the professional level - I doubt anyone plays for the manager; they play for themselves - they're grown men; not middle schoolers seeing what they can get away with substitute teachers.       

17 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I don't even know what it means - to lose the clubhouse.  And it probably means different things to different people.  Were people intentionally making out?  Nobody does that.  Was Manny intentionally making poor base-running decisions?  And if those kinds of things are happening, isn't it the players people should be criticizing?  At the professional level - I doubt anyone plays for the manager; they play for themselves - they're grown men; not middle schoolers seeing what they can get away with substitute teachers.       

I saw Matt Williams lose the Nats' clubhouse, so it can happen.    

Archived