Orioles Roster Review: Replaceable Position Players

PressBoxOnline

14 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Cal Ripken made 25 errors in his first full season at SS.   Derek Jeter made 22.   Tim Beckham has started 163 games at SS with 119 coming this year.   I suspect that experience will hopefully play a part in his error totals going down like it does with most shortstops.

Cal came up throw the minor as a 3B.  He was learning a new position.  Beckman has come through he minors a primary a SS and he still commits a lot on errors.  He needs training to improve.  That is Bobby Dickerson's job.  Hardy has been helping since August.  How important is Hardy?  Buck and Bobby probably know but I don't.  I just guess.

17 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

The utility infielder doesn't count as a "bat." At least it hasn't in the last 5 years. The Orioles want their utility guy to be someone who can play all the infield positions at least capably. Offense, not so much.

Now if you're saying the Orioles should try to find a utility guy who can actually hit, I'm certainly on board with that. Neither Flaherty nor Hardy fits that description.

That may be what I was saying. 

My dispute with the Hardy as IF god was his handedness and his offense. 

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Why would the O's want Sogard over Flaherty? Neither hits.  The both play a lot of positions. What does Sogard do that Flaherty does not?

I don't know what got into Sogard this year, but he suddenly developed a batting eye.   I'd rather watch that than Flaherty.    I don't actually expect it will happen.  

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Y'all need to realize he isn't some kid. I would not expect improvement at this point.

Chris Davis was 25 when he was acquired.   Dickerson has helped him improve his defense a ton.  Just ask him.  He will tell you.

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Chris Davis was 25 when he was acquired.   Dickerson has helped him improve his defense a ton.  Just ask him.  He will tell you.

There is a substantial difference between1B and SS. Beckham is what he is at this point. He's not a bad player, but he will make 20+ errors a year and K about 150+ times. Ok...just not great.

3 hours ago, weams said:

He is also not a left-handed hitter. 

Steve Wilkerson is a switch hitter and much, much cheaper.   Let's see how he does in Arizona and the spring, but he will certainly be cheaper and more than adequate replacement for either Flaherty or Hardy. 

1 hour ago, PaulFolk said:

The utility infielder doesn't count as a "bat." At least it hasn't in the last 5 years. The Orioles want their utility guy to be someone who can play all the infield positions at least capably. Offense, not so much.

Now if you're saying the Orioles should try to find a utility guy who can actually hit, I'm certainly on board with that. Neither Flaherty nor Hardy fits that description.

Steve Wilkerson may be a good, cheap alternative for the utility spot.  Let's see how he does in  Arizona and the spring.  He is a switch hitter, and like Flaherty he can play 2b, ss, 3b, even some outfield as a bench replacement.     

15 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

There is a substantial difference between1B and SS. Beckham is what he is at this point. He's not a bad player, but he will make 20+ errors a year and K about 150+ times. Ok...just not great.

And even so there were only 7 SS worth more WAR than Beckham this year (8 if you extrapolate from Trea Turners' 98 games).

Guys he was better than include but are not limited to...

Xander Bogaerts 

Jean Segura

Jose Reyes

Troy Tulowitski

Javier Baez

Addison Russell

Brandon Crawford

Trevor Story

Asdrubal Cabrera

Archived