Should the Orioles bring back Miguel Gonzalez?

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

He'll be 34 next season. His last 5 starts of the season, with the Rangers, he pitched 22.1 innings in 5 starts.

I'd rather have a young pitcher struggling and learning his craft.

Ehhh....you're cherrypicking. 

He had 2 bad back to back starts in September.  Aside from that, I think you could call him excellent after the AS break.

I'm not saying he's Mike Mussina.....but you went out of your way for that stat.  How about his last 3 starts?  How about the 5 consecutive starts BEFORE the 2 bad back to back outings?  He was very good in literally 8 of his 10 last starts, and you're trying to use the 2 to make your case. 

Miggy has thrown A LOT of quality starts since the O's let him go.  He'll throw well for a few starts, then get hammered.....then he'll throw another few solid starts....then get hammered.  I'm not sure how you can possibly look at his finish to the season.......allowing 2 ER or less in 9 out of 14 starts (10 of 14 were quality starts)....and try to paint the picture of him ending the season poorly.  He didn't. 

1 hour ago, interloper said:

You mean Angelos. DD absolutely would sign higher tier pitchers because he did in Boston. 

Did he?   Who?

He acquired Pedro Martinez in a trade and then locked him up long term.    But he never acquired a high-profile free agent pitcher while with the Red Sox so far as I know.   

3 hours ago, CP0861 said:

Ehhh....you're cherrypicking. 

He had 2 bad back to back starts in September.  Aside from that, I think you could call him excellent after the AS break.

I'm not saying he's Mike Mussina.....but you went out of your way for that stat.  How about his last 3 starts?  How about the 5 consecutive starts BEFORE the 2 bad back to back outings?  He was very good in literally 8 of his 10 last starts, and you're trying to use the 2 to make your case. 

Miggy has thrown A LOT of quality starts since the O's let him go.  He'll throw well for a few starts, then get hammered.....then he'll throw another few solid starts....then get hammered.  I'm not sure how you can possibly look at his finish to the season.......allowing 2 ER or less in 9 out of 14 starts (10 of 14 were quality starts)....and try to paint the picture of him ending the season poorly.  He didn't. 

He'll be 34. That's enough for me.

6 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

He'll be 34. That's enough for me.

I wouldn't say that disqualifies him.   It merely impacts what you'd agree to pay him, and for how long.   I think you could do a lot worse than Miggy for a back of rotation starter.     

16 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

You know DD is not going to sign top pitchers. Sure I'd like Lynn or Cobb. But I am very doubtful DD would sign a pitcher like that. 

When teams go after a top dog, how often has it worked? Dont know the real odds, but I suspect it fails 8 out of 10 times.

Just now, Frobby said:

I wouldn't say that disqualifies him.   It merely impacts what you'd agree to pay him, and for how long.   I think you could do a lot worse than Miggy for a back of rotation starter.     

Agree, if you're #1 goal is to win games. I think the rotation next year should be Gausman, Bundy and 3 young guys learning to be big leaguers. I don't expect us to compete for a playoff spot next season, so I don't care how many or how few games we win.

26 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Agree, if you're #1 goal is to win games. I think the rotation next year should be Gausman, Bundy and 3 young guys learning to be big leaguers. I don't expect us to compete for a playoff spot next season, so I don't care how many or how few games we win.

Talk about your self-fulfilling prophecies.    If the pitching is adequately addressed, I do expect the Orioles to compete for a playoff spot next year.    If it isn't, then they won't.    I'm all in favor of developing young guys, but we don't really have good in-house candidates for next year's rotation.    Ynoa, maybe.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Talk about your self-fulfilling prophecies.    If the pitching is adequately addressed, I do expect the Orioles to compete for a playoff spot next year.    If it isn't, then they won't.    I'm all in favor of developing young guys, but we don't really have good in-house candidates for next year's rotation.    Ynoa, maybe.    

If  Jones continues to decline defensively and Davis continues to not hit, a decent starting staff won't make a difference.

As for what we have in the minors, I have to question our development department's ability to assess what we have. In the past few years they've effectively given away Davies (traded for Parra) and Bridwell because they didn't expect much from them. They both could have made a big difference on this year's team. Bring the young guys up and try 'em out, because the people being paid to evaluate our pitching prospects don't seem to be good at it.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

If  Jones continues to decline defensively and Davis continues to not hit, a decent starting staff won't make a difference.

As for what we have in the minors, I have to question our development department's ability to assess what we have. In the past few years they've effectively given away Davies (traded for Parra) and Bridwell because they didn't expect much from them. They both could have made a big difference on this year's team. Bring the young guys up and try 'em out, because the people being paid to evaluate our pitching prospects don't seem to be good at it.

Honestly, I see Davies and Bridwell as very diffferent cases.    Davies was consistently successful as he moved through our system and it's a crying shame we traded him away.    I think any reasonable person would have seen he had a reasonable shot at major league success, given that he'd succeeded at every other level.   

Bridwell's a different story.    He was quite erratic in the minors.   He had a 4.74 ERA there, over a long period of time.   There was really nothing in his record to suggest he'd have success at the major league level.     His success shortly after being traded really raises big questions about our MiL development system.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Did he?   Who?

He acquired Pedro Martinez in a trade and then locked him up long term.    But he never acquired a high-profile free agent pitcher while with the Red Sox so far as I know.   

Fair enough. He locked him up though, and there's no way Angelos would sign off on locking up a pitcher of that caliber. He wouldn't pay for Mussina, and Ubaldo remains the highest paid Orioles FA pitcher at a mere $12-13/year.

Point is, do I believe Duquette would go spend on top tier pitching if he could? Absolutely. Who wouldn't? He has to work within the budget, the Angelos factor, and the Orioles' physical thing. 

Archived