Which Tides/Baysox players could help the O's in 2018?

wildcard

The O's need to spend their 30m  primarily on starting pitching.   So I am not suggesting that the minor leaguers are to be thrust into the rotation nor or the most part into the lineup to start the season.  Only Hayes, Sisco and maybe Yacabonis look to have a decent chance to begin the year with the O's.   But during the year who from Norfolk /Bowie could help?  Here is a look at who might be in Norfolk. Ages are as of July 1, 2018.  All these players have options unless otherwise stated.

SP

Ramirez - 24- - on the 40 man roster

Hess - 24 - to be added to the  40 man roster

Means -  25 - Lefty - to be added to the 40 man roster

Long - 25 - to be added to the 40 man roster

Asher - 26 - on the 40 man roster

RP

Scott  -23 - Lefty - on 40 man roster

Yacabonis - 26 - on the 40 man roster, could begin the year with the O's but may not if there is a roster crunch.

Lee -  25 - Lefty - on the 40 man roster

Wotherspoon - 26 - may be add to the roster man roster. Rule 5 eligible

Meisinger - 24 - not of the 40 man roster, not Rule 5 eligible

Crichton - 26 - on the 40 man roster

R Rodriguez - 28 - not on the 40 man roster

Infield

1B- -  A Rodriguez - 26 - not on the 40 man roster, eligible for the Rule  5 draft

2B  -  Sardinas - 25 - not on the 40 man roster, out of  options, could be minor league free agent

SS - ?

3B - Dosch - 26 on June 24th - not of the 40 man roster. Eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

2B/3B - Wilkerson - 26 - on the bubble  for the 40 man roster, eligible for the Rule 5 draft, switch hitter

Outfield

LF - Stewart - 24 - not on the 40 man roster,  not eligible for the Rule 5 draft, Hits left-handed.

CF - Rickard - 27 - on the 40 man roster,   I think Gentry and Santander start the year with the O's.

RF - Santander - 23 - on the 40 man roster,  In the majors for the first 44 days then optioned. switch hitter

RF/IF/OF - Rosa - 28 - not on the 40 man roster,  plays RF until Santander is optioned then in Utility role, minor league draft eligible

OF - Gonzalez - 26 - not on the 40 man roster, left handed hitter

Catchers

C - Wynns - 27-  could be added to the 40 man roster

C  Pena -  28 -  not on the 40 man roster,  could be free agent,  out of options

DH/1B/RF Washington - 27 - not on 40 man roster,  left-handed hitter

Note :  I think Mullins begins 2018 in Bowie due to injuries and slumps in 2017.

Trades and minor league free agency could effect some on these players.

Do you see some of these players helping the O's in 2018?

Yacabonis may be in the pen if he has a good spring.  Scott may help later in the bullpen if he gets off to a good start of the season.  Lucas Long could get a rotation look if he starts well in the minors this season.  Wilkerson may be a replacement for Flaherty.  Santander needs a year in the minors after he meets the Rule 5 requirement.  

Otherwise not much there, imho.    Cisco will be on the team when Castillo leaves.  Hays will get every chance to start in right or center (if Adam can be convinced that his career beyond next year would likely be much enhanced with a transition to right).   Mullins will likely start in Norfolk.   You didn't mention Harvey.  

51 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Yacabonis may be in the pen if he has a good spring.  Scott may help later in the bullpen if he gets off to a good start of the season.  Lucas Long could get a rotation look if he starts well in the minors this season.  Wilkerson may be a replacement for Flaherty.  Santander needs a year in the minors after he meets the Rule 5 requirement.  

Otherwise not much there, imho.    Cisco will be on the team when Castillo leaves.  Hays will get every chance to start in right or center (if Adam can be convinced that his career beyond next year would likely be much enhanced with a transition to right).   Mullins will likely start in Norfolk.   You didn't mention Harvey.  

Harvey probably begins the year in Frederick.   If he pitches well he could move up to AA in  a month.  If he does well for the Baysox he could jump to the majors.

54 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

You didn't mention Harvey.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Harvey probably begins the year in Frederick.   If he pitches well he could move up to AA in  a month.  If he does well for the Baysox he could jump to the majors.

Also gotta factor in pitch count. Next season will be his first full season after surgery.

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I wouldn't fool around, bring on the kids: Mullins, Hays, Stewart, Harvey, Wynns, Hess, and Scott. And later in 2018: Mountcastle and maybe sooner if Machado exits. And while they are at it: fire Buck, hire Asmus and let's start the rebuild. By 2020, we could have something special.

Let Mullins get some more reps first. He had hamstring issues last year and I would rather see him in a full, healthy season than rush him up. 

Hays, yes, let's see him and what he can do.

Stewart needs a spot. Mancini to DH? Then what with Trumbo?

Harvey needs to build up his innings. 2019 might be for him.

I want to see Wynns (incase anyone hasn't been reading any of my posts), and this winter will be a sign of what might happen. On a side note, Francisco Pena opted for free agency.

Hess and Scott could be bullpen guys, just need Scott to have a bit better control.

I don't see Mountcastle being a third baseman in the Majors. Maybe left field or first base. Or even DH.

On 10/19/2017 at 7:46 AM, wildcard said:

The O's need to spend their 30m  primarily on starting pitching.   So I am not suggesting that the minor leaguers are to be thrust into the rotation nor or the most part into the lineup to start the season.  Only Hayes, Sisco and maybe Yacabonis look to have a decent chance to begin the year with the O's.   But during the year who from Norfolk /Bowie could help?  Here is a look at who might be in Norfolk. Ages are as of July 1, 2018.  All these players have options unless otherwise stated.

SP

Ramirez - 24- - on the 40 man roster

Hess - 24 - to be added to the  40 man roster

Means -  25 - Lefty - to be added to the 40 man roster

Long - 25 - to be added to the 40 man roster

Asher - 26 - on the 40 man roster

RP

Scott  -23 - Lefty - on 40 man roster

Yacabonis - 26 - on the 40 man roster, could begin the year with the O's but may not if there is a roster crunch.

Lee -  25 - Lefty - on the 40 man roster

Wotherspoon - 26 - may be add to the roster man roster. Rule 5 eligible

Meisinger - 24 - not of the 40 man roster, not Rule 5 eligible

Crichton - 26 - on the 40 man roster

R Rodriguez - 28 - not on the 40 man roster

Infield

1B- -  A Rodriguez - 26 - not on the 40 man roster, eligible for the Rule  5 draft

2B  -  Sardinas - 25 - not on the 40 man roster, out of  options, could be minor league free agent

SS - ?

3B - Dosch - 26 on June 24th - not of the 40 man roster. Eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

2B/3B - Wilkerson - 26 - on the bubble  for the 40 man roster, eligible for the Rule 5 draft, switch hitter

Outfield

LF - Stewart - 24 - not on the 40 man roster,  not eligible for the Rule 5 draft, Hits left-handed.

CF - Rickard - 27 - on the 40 man roster,   I think Gentry and Santander start the year with the O's.

RF - Santander - 23 - on the 40 man roster,  In the majors for the first 44 days then optioned. switch hitter

RF/IF/OF - Rosa - 28 - not on the 40 man roster,  plays RF until Santander is optioned then in Utility role, minor league draft eligible

OF - Gonzalez - 26 - not on the 40 man roster, left handed hitter

Catchers

C - Wynns - 27-  could be added to the 40 man roster

C  Pena -  28 -  not on the 40 man roster,  could be free agent,  out of options

DH/1B/RF Washington - 27 - not on 40 man roster,  left-handed hitter

Note :  I think Mullins begins 2018 in Bowie due to injuries and slumps in 2017.

Trades and minor league free agency could effect some on these players.

Do you see some of these players helping the O's in 2018?

I thought Mullins could be. 

4 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I wouldn't fool around, bring on the kids: Mullins, Hays, Stewart, Harvey, Wynns, Hess, and Scott. And later in 2018: Mountcastle and maybe sooner if Machado exits. And while they are at it: fire Buck, hire Asmus and let's start the rebuild. By 2020, we could have something special.

Well I agree with what say. Not sure about Asmus. Don't know much about him. Are you talking about Brad Asmus?

3 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Let Mullins get some more reps first. He had hamstring issues last year and I would rather see him in a full, healthy season than rush him up. 

Hays, yes, let's see him and what he can do.

Stewart needs a spot. Mancini to DH? Then what with Trumbo?

Harvey needs to build up his innings. 2019 might be for him.

I want to see Wynns (incase anyone hasn't been reading any of my posts), and this winter will be a sign of what might happen. On a side note, Francisco Pena opted for free agency.

Hess and Scott could be bullpen guys, just need Scott to have a bit better control.

I don't see Mountcastle being a third baseman in the Majors. Maybe left field or first base. Or even DH.

I think the O's will keep Hess as a starter until he proves he can't be.  

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I actually wouldn't mind seeing him as a back end rotation guy. I just think they might use him in a Castro role first to get his feet wet before he fully starts. 

I think he begins next year at Norfolk.  Depending on how he does he could gets some starts with the O's next year.

37 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Just say no to Yacabonnis. I think he's horrible.

Why?  He's got some command issues but he's got a really live fastball that definitely plays against MLB hitters.  I'm not saying hand him a spot, but let him compete for one if you don't bring in any additional relievers.  

Edit: I know his strikeout/walk numbers were terrible in a small sample, but the batted ball data was extremely strong and backs up what my eyes are seeing.  Amazingly low line drive rate and an amazingly high soft hit ball number.  This is a guy who is going to generate weak contact, he just needs to reduce the number of non-competitive pitches.

8 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Why?  He's got some command issues but he's got a really live fastball that definitely plays against MLB hitters.  I'm not saying hand him a spot, but let him compete for one if you don't bring in any additional relievers.  

Edit: I know his strikeout/walk numbers were terrible in a small sample, but the batted ball data was extremely strong and backs up what my eyes are seeing.  Amazingly low line drive rate and an amazingly high soft hit ball number.  This is a guy who is going to generate weak contact, he just needs to reduce the number of non-competitive pitches.

I agree. He has tremendous movement on his two seam FB and sometimes that can be difficult to command. But hitters also have a hard time squaring him up because of the arm side run he has.

Archived