If the O's were to sign one (and only one) of these 3 deals, which would you prefer?

mdbdotcom

Just for the fun (or agony) of it, imagine that the O's were going to make one, but only one, of these signings:

• Chris Tillman for 1/$2 million plus incentives
  • Miguel Gonzalez for 1/$6 million
  • Wake Miley for 1/$4 million plus incentives

Which, if any, would you prefer that they do?

Note: telling us what they will "actually" do does not qualify as answering the question.:)

If I had to pick I'd take Miley for 1/$4 plus incentives.  He's younger and cheaper than Miggy.  He also has the best stuff of the three.  Tillman, I'd need to see the old arm slot and velocity back before he got any guaranteed money. 

My real choice though is none of the above, I prefer my fringe starter candidates young and with upside.

19 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Just for the fun (or agony) of it, imagine that the O's were going to make one, but only one, of these signings:

Note: telling us what they will "actually" do does not qualify as answering the question.:)

The cheaper the better for these marginal pitchers. Tillman @ 2 

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I would take Miggy. I don't want Tillman or Miley.  

Miley.  He's left handed and I'd rather gamble that he'll get his BB9 back under 3 than gamble that Tillman's healthy.  Gonzo's the sentimental favorite, but at $6 million, he' s a little expensive.

We are talking 5th starter and nothing else, right?

4 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Tillman, simply the price and the "Known" factor.

Miguel.

I would like to see Tillman in the organization on a minor league deal but he has to prove that he is in shape and healthy. $2M in my opinion would commit him to a rotation slot for the first couple months and we played that game with him enough last year.

I would pay $4M to never see Miley in an Oriole uniform ever again.

16 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Of the three, Tillman probably has the most upside of the three, if he is able to regroup and regain his previous form

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Miley would be the one I would NOT consider.

Flip a coin with the other 2.  

I’d seriously consider signing both of the other 2 on those terms.    But we’d need a third piece in the higher priced range.   

o

Miley should not even be on the list, so that narrows it down to 2.

The most conservative choice would be Gonzalez, in terms of being assured that you would be signing a starting pitcher who (at the very least) would be serviceable at the bottom of the rotation.

I still believe that Tillman still has the highest ceiling of the 3, considering his track record of having 4 out of 5 very good seasons between 2012 and 2016, and the strong possibility that he was pitching injured this past season (2017.)

o

I can't even bear the thought of Miley. Tillman has been good. There's hope. MGon has been good. There's hope. Miley has never been good. 

I'd prefer Tillman of all those deals. I think he will be back for a deal like $4mill. Buck likes his guys. And he likes comebacks stories.

It's basically whoever works out with Brady this offseason. If Tillman works out with Brady this offseason, you have your answer. 

Archived