Brian Roberts trade rumors back on!

ed101elove

Because he's showing that he can handle the closer's role without melting down a la LaTroy Hawkins and also not be a straight LOOGY but rather a guy who can get both righties and lefties out for more than 2 batters an appearance.

Why does he not have as much value as someone who's done that for the past 5 years?

Actually, his trade value has been quite high for the past two seasons. The M's just didn't want to trade him for whatever they were willing to get. The Yankees and Dodgers have been after him for the past couple of years, offseason and trade deadline.

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, his trade value has been quite high for the past two seasons. The M's just didn't want to trade him for whatever they were willing to get. The Yankees and Dodgers have been after him for the past could of years, offseason and trade deadline.

I'm glad we got your bro. :)

So, in the long run who would you rather have LaPorta or Gamel. I think i would probally lean toward Laporta. You could probally pencil him in as a 1B or DH for the next 10-12 years. I think it would be much easier to grab Gamel. I would love to have him but we would have to give up a ton and i think the Brew crew plan on moving Fielder and penciling in LaPorta. I have a question for everyone. Would you consider a Tillman/Arritea for LaPorta/Gamel straight up? We have a lot of pitching and this team needs a masher in the worst way.

I think part of the whole issue that hasn't been mentioned is salary. I don't know off the top of my head what Roberts is due this year, however that is one reason why the original preposition of Roberts for Weeks might not even work, as the O's would have to throw in something else.

Now that Weeks is on the DL, that could change things a little. If the Orioles eat all of Roberts salary, then they might get more in the deal. However, on talent alone, I really don't think you get much more. Roberts is being way over valued with some people on here, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it could make things a little out of perspective.

I agree that salary is a key issue in any trade involving the Brewers. I disagree with your view on what that means, however.

It seems to me that the Brewers would be very interested in a deal that enables them to unload Hall's salary. Roberts at $6.3 million for '08 and $8 million for '09 is much easier to swallow for the Brewers than Hall's $4.8 million in '08, $6.8 in '09, and $8.4 in '10, given the players' comparative talent. Roberts' salary is in line with what he means to a team. In fact, he is a bargain.

Weeks alone won't get Roberts, much less expecting the Orioles to add something. Weeks just has not lived up to the hype generated over the years for him. I have to disagree with you again when you say that Roberts for Weeks is an even trade on talent alone. I don't see that at all. Weeks simply has not shown it with any regularity. While Oriole fans may overvalue Roberts, I would say that you may be overvaluing Weeks to a much greater degree.

Neither Weeks nor Hall have any serious trade value right now. Adding only the overpaid Hall to Weeks won't net Roberts, either, but taking on both of these two Brewer headaches might enable the Orioles to get either Gamel or Escobar. I'd prefer just Weeks and Gamel/Escobar for Roberts, but I think that by Baltimore taking on the Hall salary albatross the deal works for Milwaukee.

I agree that salary is a key issue in any trade involving the Brewers. I disagree with your view on what that means, however.

It seems to me that the Brewers would be very interested in a deal that enables them to unload Hall's salary. Roberts at $6.3 million for '08 and $8 million for '09 is much easier to swallow for the Brewers than Hall's $4.8 million in '08, $6.8 in '09, and $8.4 in '10, given the players' comparative talent. Roberts' salary is in line with what he means to a team. In fact, he is a bargain.

Weeks alone won't get Roberts, much less expecting the Orioles to add something. Weeks just has not lived up to the hype generated over the years for him. I have to disagree with you again when you say that Roberts for Weeks is an even trade on talent alone. I don't see that at all. Weeks simply has not shown it with any regularity. While Oriole fans may overvalue Roberts, I would say that you may be overvaluing Weeks to a much greater degree.

Neither Weeks nor Hall have any serious trade value right now. Adding only the overpaid Hall to Weeks won't net Roberts, either, but taking on both of these two Brewer headaches might enable the Orioles to get either Gamel or Escobar. I'd prefer just Weeks and Gamel/Escobar for Roberts, but I think that by Baltimore taking on the Hall salary albatross the deal works for Milwaukee.

Honestly, I am not overvaluing anything. I don't find Weeks to have a great deal of value, really, especially since he is on the DL.

As for the even trade on talent alone, I can see why you thought I said that. What I meant was that on talent alone, I don't think you can value Roberts higher, just becuase the salary portion cancels that out.

Hall and the others have nothing to do with it, save for wishful speculation on a good portion of people in this thread. The main discussion I was having was based on what Rosenthal said that "Weeks for Roberts would be a good trade, but the Orioles might have to throw in more". For the reasons stated above, in this reply as well as my previous one, I think that is how that reasoning works, whether right or wrong.

Even with the value of developmental time, MIL is looking at getting better players with this years picks. That leaves Thatcher for Linebrink.

Most teams look good right after the draft. It's when the picks have to actually play that their draft can really be evaluated. And history shows that picks around that number generally don't pan out. So while it may leave MIL better, with respect to Inman and Garrison versus draft picks, it's unlikely.

Most teams look good right after the draft. It's when the picks have to actually play that their draft can really be evaluated. And history shows that picks around that number generally don't pan out. So while it may leave MIL better, with respect to Inman and Garrison versus draft picks, it's unlikely.
You also realize that the vast majority of pitching prospects, even good ones like Inman, don't pan out either, right?

There really isn't much difference in value between Inman and Garrison as opposed to the two picks. The prospects are a bit more valuable, but not by a ton, and only because they have already moved further along the system.

I talked to "deep scout" today about the Brewers/Orioles trade rumors that were on here today. He said, that as far as he is concerned, no side has talked to each other about the possiblity. He said he didnt believe the Brewers weren't going to part with Weeks yet. However, he said that the two teams match up GREAT (he emphasized this) and he could certainly see things heating up come AS break. But as of now, there aren't really to many murmers.

I would agree that these two teams match up at every level of both organizations. You could see anything from a 1 for 1 to a 4 for 4 that would benefit both teams.

On espn's rumor central, there is a link about Roberts saying the Brew Crew are not interested in him.

I'm a Brewers fan that happened to stumble upon this site through some google searches and I thought I would give my opinion on a possible Weeks-Roberts deal.

First of all, there are three players in the Brewers organization that are untradeable. By untradeable I mean they will not be considered in any trade. They just simply won't include them.

Ryan Braun
Yovani Gallardo
Matt LaPorta

I can't see the Brewers trading away Corey Hart or Manny Parra either, but they could probably be got for a price.

My second thought is a lot of you (yes, I actually read through this whole thread) are including Sherrill in the trade for some reason. I don't really see any basis for this. I don't know how closely you follow the brew crew, but Salomon Torres is looking like the best FA acquisition of the offseason. He has been pretty much lights out in the closers role, unlike the $10 million dollar man who shall remain nameless. Besides Torres, the bullpen is packed full right now, even with Riske and the $10 million man on the DL. Tavarez has been a fine addition, even if it is as an inning eater. Tim Dillard has been throwing in the high 90's since he has been called up and has only given up one run so far. Mota is questionable at times, but for the most part gets it done.

I really don't think this trade will go down, and I hope it doesn't. A few reasons..Weeks doesn't belong in the leadoff spot, as everyone knows except for Ned Yost. Corey Hart thrived there last year and should still be there (he is right now while Weeks is injured). I don't think Melvin is ready to give up on Weeks just yet. Everyone in the organization, including his teammates, always talk about how Weeks has the most potential out of anyone on the roster. It was suppose to be his breakout year this season, but of course that hasn't panned out.

While Roberts would be an upgrade, I don't believe he is worth the Brewer's top prospects, and I don't think Melvin believes he is either.

Archived