C Martin Cervenka selected in AAA portion of rule 5

Roll Tide

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

The original title was Brallan Perez before he changed it.

Gotcha, yeah, I'm pretty disappointed Perez wasn't protected from the minor league portion of the draft.  Maybe I'm wrong about the guy, but I feel like it was just a mistake. 

Basically the Athletics traded Max Schrock and then got a younger, higher upside version of Max Schrock for virtually free.

9 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Perez really hit well in the 19 games he played with Frederick.   7 walks,  2 strikeouts, .368 AVG and .946 OPS.   He's also still very young  (turns 22 in January).   Of course, 19 games is a SSS, and he OPS'd .574 in the 46 games before we got him.    If he turned the corner (light bulb moment) it would be interesting/sad to see who we protected over him.

All the video of Perez I watched was when he was struggling in A+ ball with the Rangers.  He was just unlucky, maybe pressing a little bit.  He has a .265 BABIP in those games (first taste of A+ as an age appropriate 21 year old), which is well below career average, with his speed and batted ball profile, he should be in the .350 range.  The skills all showed even when he was struggling.  He's got an elite batting eye, even by MLB standards and great bat speed.  His biggest issue is he pulls the bat through the zone too fast resulting in not finding the barrel very often.  He also has great range at 2B, SS range, but not a SS arm.  I'd have protected him over Adrian Marin in a heartbeat.

8 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Did they protect Marin?   That's what I meant about it would be sad if they did something like that.   Marin is not a prospect anymore.   I doubt he ever plays a game in MLB.

They had to protect someone, they could protect 75 eligible non 40 man roster players, I'm absolutely sure there wasn't a crunch to protect guys, just an oversight.

10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Did they protect Marin?   That's what I meant about it would be sad if they did something like that.   Marin is not a prospect anymore.   I doubt he ever plays a game in MLB.

I wish they would post the list like they do for the 40 man roster. Even the team sites aren't up to date.

Perez was extremely good in forcing the pitcher to throw in the zone. He didn't swing at many pitches outside of it. He also had very good speed and could easily best out infield and bunt singles.

Cervanka will be interesting. He split time with Sicnarf Loopstock, similar to the Castillo/Joseph platoon. Trends a bit more favorably than Araiza and seems like he has better defense, though not as much power as Mercedes. 

Archived