Slow Offseason around MLB

Redskins Rick

37 minutes ago, cimota said:

He would just take a long contract with an opt-out. No way Arrieta takes a one year deal. He turned down what Darvish received.  If Arrieta took a one year 25 million dollar contract and blew out his shoulder Boras would be hard pressed to find another client.   He can just do a 6 year contract with an opt out after one year.  There is no lack of people bidding on Arrieta.   He didn't just have a year like Tilman did. 

Where did you see this?

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, cimota said:

He would just take a long contract with an opt-out. No way Arrieta takes a one year deal. He turned down what Darvish received.  If Arrieta took a one year 25 million dollar contract and blew out his shoulder Boras would be hard pressed to find another client.   He can just do a 6 year contract with an opt out after one year.  There is no lack of people bidding on Arrieta.   He didn't just have a year like Tilman did. 

This is exactly what Darvish did...and it's exactly what the others will do too. None of the big name SPs are signing one year deals. 

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that the Cardinals have signed free agent right-hander Bud Norris, pending a physical.

Terms aren't yet available. Norris was very effective in the closer role with the Angels during the first half last season, though he faded while dealing with some knee issues and ultimately finished with a 4.21 ERA over 60 appearances (including three starts). Still, he struck out 74 batters in 62 innings and saw an uptick velocity out of the bullpen. If healthy, he could be an interesting piece for St. Louis, who have some uncertainty in the late innings.

26 minutes ago, cimota said:

Everywhere.  Google  arrieta cubs offer  and you will have your choice of articles to read about it. 

If Arrieta was offered the same deal and he turned it down, then he's not a very smart guy.   I'm sure the Cubs offered him $21M/year, but I doubt it was for 6 years.

4 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

If Arrieta was offered the same deal and he turned it down, then he's not a very smart guy.   I'm sure the Cubs offered him $21M/year, but I doubt it was for 6 years.

I agree.  If the Darvish deal was really offered to Arrieta, which I doubt, Boras and Arrieta blew it if they turned it down.  That would also completely tear apart any claim of the owners being in collusion.

9 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Why do you think that? Because you believe he doesn't deserve 6 years so you disregard all the reporting on a subject?  I don't think Arrieta made the decision.  I am sure it was Boras who called the decline.  Boras has got a lot more money for guys than they were worth many times in the past.  Whether it is stupid or brilliant we will only know when Arrieta signs. 

6 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I agree.  If the Darvish deal was really offered to Arrieta, which I doubt, Boras and Arrieta blew it if they turned it down.  That would also completely tear apart any claim of the owners being in collusion.

There was never any collusion. It is mostly about Boras having most of the top free agents.  And he likes to stretch things out. 

1 minute ago, cimota said:

Why do you think that? Because you believe he doesn't deserve 6 years so you disregard all the reporting on a subject?  I don't think Arrieta made the decision.  I am sure it was Boras who called the decline.  Boras has got a lot more money for guys than they were worth many times in the past.  Whether it is stupid or brilliant we will only know when Arrieta signs. 

The fact that he's 32 and has been on the decline for the last two years and that his velocity has dropped are pretty good reasons. 

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

The fact that he's 32 and has been on the decline for the last two years and that his velocity has dropped are pretty good reasons. 

I feel like Arrieta is dangerously close to reverting back to the same pitcher we knew. I have no basis for thinking that, I just feel like he had his good few years.

Just now, interloper said:

I feel like Arrieta is dangerously close to reverting back to the same pitcher we knew. I have no basis for thinking that, I just feel like he had his good few years.

I'm not so sure about that.   His issues here were about people trying to change his approach too much.

If his velocity is declining, there's not a whole lot he can do about it.   If he's able to make some changes to accommodate that, he could still have success.   I'm just not sure giving him a 4 or 5 year deal to find out.

Archived