Adam Jones Speaking out on Twitter.

Grt 2BA FL Gator

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Tell me any other job where an employee can agree with “another era of expletive leadership” and not be reprimanded at minimum   Adam, I wish you well at your next employer.  

Totally disagree. First of all, comparing MLB to "any other job" is a fool's errand and a fallacy. Secondly, he's under contract, and nothing in his contract states he's not free to have an opinion on what is OBJECTIVELY bad ownership tactics. If an employer is caught behaving improperly, an employee should absolutely feel free to speak out. That doesn't guarantee future employment, but who cares? It's the right thing to do. 

Adam Jones met with Angelos under the pretext that he might have some say. Jones was wrong. Markakis was wrong. They're all wrong. They have no say, they've been lied to. The organization is an unmitigated mess. There's no plan. The face of the franchise has been disrespected. Buck, the second best manager after Weaver, has been disrespected. 

Give me a break with this. Adam's RIGHT, and it's his right to speak out against an objectively awful ownership. The more light is shed on it the better. He's obviously considered the consequences and made his choice. I don't know how that's not universally applauded by this fanbase. 

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buck was asked a while back about players having different opinions that management

He said, he would be worried if they didnt care about winning.

He said the passionate ones, are the ones that the fire and driven to win, and you have to respect and appreciate it.

As long as you do it respectfully and the right way, then he doesn't have a problem with it.

2 hours ago, jabba72 said:

I think Jones wants Machado to stay this year, because it might be Jones last year too. I haven't read his twitter too closely to see what he thinks about it. So if jones is contacting the FO, im sure he wants no rebuild this year. 

Yeah, and the front office should be polite and hear him out, but ultimately, do what’s in the franchise’s long term interests, not what’s in Jones’s interests.  

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Buck was asked a while back about players having different opinions that management

He said, he would be worried if they didnt care about winning.

He said the passionate ones, are the ones that the fire and driven to win, and you have to respect and appreciate it.

As long as you do it respectfully and the right way, then he doesn't have a problem with it.

Exactly. One could say Adam did it disrespectfully, but I completely disagree. Angelos has not earned Jones' respect. Jones met with Angelos and got lied to. 

The organization's current plan is "fake it till you make it." How can the most pivotal actors on this team be expected to perform when there's a complete lack of communication and cohesive plan?

There are still 3 gaping holes in the rotation, a vault worth of payroll space unused while free agency's best values get snatched up, and entire avenues of talent acquisition have been publicly declared to be closed off for petty/nonsensical reasons.

How can anyone blame Adam for his comments? We know he's right, the baseball world knows he's right, the media knows he's right, Dan Duquette probably knows he's right. Any attempt to sign the face of the franchise has obviously either not been made or has been made in bad faith. He WILL enjoy his future employment and that future employer will be incredibly lucky to have him. He should have no regrets for speaking out nor should we think poorly of him for doing so.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Exactly. One could say Adam did it disrespectfully, but I completely disagree. Angelos has not earned Jones' respect. Jones met with Angelos and got lied to. 

Were you in the room?   What did Angelos say?

Look, I admire Adam’s passion, but he has no right to be involved in management’s decisions about how to run their team.   They heard him out, which is more than they were required to do.   Where’s the evidence they lied about anything?

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

What do you base that on?

Hell, not every player gets an audience with the owner, so he must have had some respect for the man.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Were you in the room?   What did Angelos say?

Look, I admire Adam’s passion, but he has no right to be involved in management’s decisions about how to run their team.   They heard him out, which is more than they were required to do.   Where’s the evidence they lied about anything?

Alright, probably hyperbolic on my part, but something had to take place either from what Angelos told him or from any extension offer he received (or lack thereof), or simply how they are going about their business this offseason, that caused Adam to speak up. He doesn't just mouth off for no reason. 

The bigger point is not that Adam wanted say in the offseason, it's that the behavior of the FO this offseason has been shockingly and objectively stupid. The frustrations are boiling over. We had the worst pitching in the game last season and there's been either no urgency to fill holes or a ridiculous "surprise" at how the market looks. If you don't understand how the market is going to look year to year, that's bad management. 

WHAT IS THE PLAN? Jones doesn't know, nor do we. 

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

There are ways of disagreeing without being disrespectiful.  Walk up to your boss the next time he/she screws up and lambaste their expletive leadership and do it in the same manner and in a very public way.  Good luck on your next job search.  Oh, knock yourself out and keep hitting me with the negative rep because I hold a very different opinion.

Just now, TonySoprano said:

There are ways of disagreeing without being disrespective.  Walk up to your boss the next time he/she screws up and lambaste their expletive leadership and do it in the same manner and in a very public way.  Good luck on your next job search.  Oh, knock yourself out with the negative rep because someone holds a very different opinion.

It's a downvote, not a negative rep. I respect your position here on the site but I don't agree with your argument or the thinking behind it.

Again, you're making a logical fallacy comparing whatever you think my job is to Adam Jones' job. My next job search has nothing to do with Major League Baseball, where players are signed for nearly half a billion dollars. You can't hope to silence players. They have a union, they have a voice. When something is objectively bad and wrong, they should speak up. Jones has consistently done so, will continue to do so, and in this case he even did so without saying anything directly, which is so smart

All I'm saying is that the Orioles organization is doing wrong by its players, coaches, fans, and front office employees. That's clear. That's indisputable. That's objectively true in this moment. 

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's a downvote, not a negative rep. I respect your position here on the site but I don't agree with your argument or the thinking behind it.

Again, you're making a logical fallacy comparing whatever you think my job is to Adam Jones' job. My next job search has nothing to do with Major League Baseball, where players are signed for nearly half a billion dollars. You can't hope to silence players. They have a union, they have a voice. When something is objectively bad and wrong, they should speak up. Jones has consistently done so, will continue to do so, and in this case he even did so without saying anything directly, which is so smart

All I'm saying is that the Orioles organization is doing wrong by its players, coaches, fans, and front office employees. That's clear. That's indisputable. That's objectively true in this moment. 

Without repeating myself, go back and read the very first sentence in my last post.  It's the manner of the disagreement not that he doesn't have the right to disagree, because of course he does. 

Thanks for the respect, but I have no "position here," haven't for quite a while.  I'm done.

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

90% of the posters here think the O’s should trade Manny and rebuild.   Do you think Jones is in favor of that?

Let’s say Jones thinks the team’s priority should be X, and Schoop thinks the priority should be Y, and Bundy thinks it should be Z.   Do we really want them staying  their views in public forums?    I’d rather they kept it to themselves.    Also, I think Twitter is a poor format for an intelligent discussion and it’s way to easy for cryptic remarks to get misinterpreted and blown out of proportion.   

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Without repeating myself, go back and read the very first sentence in my last post.  It's the manner of the disagreement not that he doesn't have the right to disagree, because of course he does.  I'm done.

Ok, no problem. I'm admittedly a little fired up over here.

Archived