What is Dan Duquette doing?

oriolediehard

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

With the lack of news out in the baseball world right now, we could say this about 29 other teams as well.

I don't care about the other teams. Supposedly they put Manny on the trade block. But that should not hinder Angelos and DD from making other moves. Dammit offer Cobb a four year deal to see if he will sign. I don't know why I even care when those two boobs don't give a damn about the O's it seems.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

He's doing the same thing that almost every other mid-market GM is doing. It's an agonizingly slow offseason, and not just for the O's. This article explains some of the reasons why.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/85013/real-or-not-special-edition-reasons-for-the-sloooow-hot-stove-season

I'm (not) sorry but the notion that the Orioles are a mid market team is a steaming load of crap.  Sure, it's not NYC, Chicago or LA.  It might not even be Boston or Philly in terms of population density.  If that's how you define mid-market, fine.

But the Orioles OD payroll for 2017 was 163 million, which was 10th in the majors.  And they were within 13 million of cracking the top 5.

The Orioles are sitting around with their hats in their hands asking for a handout.  They've shown they can spend more than most teams out there.

As for your article, I really don't care.  DD's MO has been the same throughout, sit back and wait, gobble up Rule 5 guys, and don't make any impactful moves until way late in the offseason.

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

if we're being honest have there really been any significant baseball moves by any teams over the last few weeks? Hard to pass judgement on the man when the market seems to be moving at a snail's pace this year. 

Not to me. I know what's coming. Year after year. He will bring in low tier washed up pitchers. 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm (not) sorry but the notion that the Orioles are a mid market team is a steaming load of crap.  Sure, it's not NYC, Chicago or LA.  It might not even be Boston or Philly in terms of population density.  If that's how you define mid-market, fine.

But the Orioles OD payroll for 2017 was 163 million, which was 10th in the majors.  And they were within 13 million of cracking the top 5.

The Orioles are sitting around with their hats in their hands asking for a handout.  They've shown they can spend more than most teams out there.

As for your article, I really don't care.  DD's MO has been the same throughout, sit back and wait, gobble up Rule 5 guys, and don't make any impactful moves until way late in the offseason.

I don't think the Orioles can sustain a 163M payroll.   Attendance is down and the MASN compromise will likely cut their share of revenue there.

I think they can be competitive at around 120 - 140M, but they need to do things the right way.  Last year's team had a very 1998 feel to it.   We need to be smarter with how to develop, when to trade, and when to extend.   I know we've beaten these topics like a dead horse, but we need to realize we just can't go out and buy a championship.

11 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Not to me. I know what's coming. Year after year. He will bring in low tier washed up pitchers. 

I'm not disagreeing with, I'm just saying it's hard to ass judgement, given the current climate, until it actually happens. And I'm also not sure how much of the blame is on him and how much is on the Angelos / Anderson clique. I mean, we know that Angelos won't...

1) allow him to sign starting pitchers long term (which rules out all the difference makers)

2) routinely nixes trades or doesn't allow trades involving certain players

3) listens (and is heavily influenced by) inexperienced staff like Brady Anderson

I'm not a Duquette, but I think the deck is stacked against any GM working for Angelos. It's really a mountain that can't be climbed. 

9 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't think the Orioles can sustain a 163M payroll.   Attendance is down and the MASN compromise will likely cut their share of revenue there.

I think they can be competitive at around 120 - 140M, but they need to do things the right way.  Last year's team had a very 1998 feel to it.   We need to be smarter with how to develop, when to trade, and when to extend.   I know we've beaten these topics like a dead horse, but we need to realize we just can't go out and buy a championship.

You are correct.  I'd like to see them leaner and spend better.  

And you know, lock up any young talent that they have so we don't have another Machado situation when someone like Schoop approaches free agency.

But they aren't smart.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

But the players aren't going to just jump at the first offer, they are going to let their agents develop a market. It's not like this is a one-sided game and we're in charge. The O's are not an attractive team for pitchers, so if we are going to sign one we will have to wait until their market is set and then outbid everyone else. No one wants to pitch for the Orioles.

Sure, and you need two teams to make a trade, etc, etc. I dunno. There's an apparent lack of aggression no matter what you say. The optics look bad. There were some good savvy pitchers picked up early in the offseason that we missed on. 

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

He's doing the same thing that almost every other mid-market GM is doing. It's an agonizingly slow offseason, and not just for the O's. This article explains some of the reasons why.

http://www.espn.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/85013/real-or-not-special-edition-reasons-for-the-sloooow-hot-stove-season

You're spoiling the pity party...

Good article.  I thought this paragraph about this years FA class was especially pertinent given the lack of an extension for Machado.  Such a lost opportunity there.

Fewer players are hitting the market, diluting what could have been a great class

In this specific year, this is certainly the case. Potential free agents this year could have included Mike Trout, Jose Altuve, Paul Goldschmidt, Carlos Carrasco, Kyle Seager, Brandon Crawford, Brandon Belt, Matt Carpenter, Salvador Perez, Josh Harrison and Jason Kipnis. Instead, all signed long-term extensions with their clubs. Imagine a free-agent class with Trout, Altuve and Goldschmidt -- I don’t think the Yankees and Dodgers would be sweating the luxury tax.

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

Sure, and you need two teams to make a trade, etc, etc. I dunno. There's an apparent lack of aggression no matter what you say. The optics look bad. There were some good savvy pitchers picked up early in the offseason that we missed on. 

Who do you think they missed out on?  I would have liked Smyly, but he wouldn't help us in 2018.

1 hour ago, TommyPickles said:

Which of these do you think would be a more successful rotation?

Bundy, Gausman, Cobb, 2 of Castro/Cortes/Ynoa

or...

Bundy, Gausman, Cashner, Gonzalez, 1 of Castro/Cortes/Ynoa

I'll take the Bundy, Gausman, Cobb trio and then fill in the back two with Castro and Cortes. I'd prefer to throw someone else in the rotation, too. Assuming we don't trade Manny (which we should, but that's another conversation we've rehashed half a million times on this site already), I think it's possible to do something like 4/$66M with Cobb and then add on someone else in the lower range Dickey/Feldman category. Even if the O's don't, they should at least add depth options in Triple-A in case of injury. Assuming healthy, I'll take the first one listed, but the need for starters 6,7,8 and 9 is where it gives me pause. We need more depth regardless of which option above you pick.

21 minutes ago, 24fps said:

You're spoiling the pity party...

Good article.  I thought this paragraph about this years FA class was especially pertinent given the lack of an extension for Machado.  Such a lost opportunity there.

Haha.  I saw this and thought "Soon the only players hitting free agency will be those players teams don't want and the Orioles stars they have failed to trade or extend."

Archived