What is Dan Duquette doing?

oriolediehard

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why Duquette doesn’t just fill in the blanks on some of those blank checks from Peter Angelos he has lying around.

I used to hear that Jim Beattie was too deliberate.    Then Mike Flanagan.    Then Andy MacPhail.   Now it’s Duquette who’s too deliberate.    It’s not a coincidence.   

Yup.  And with seemingly every other team being deliberate this off season, it's probably going to be another month before the Orioles make any moves.  

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Well, Andy MacPhail's average payroll was something like...what...$80-90m? I'd imagine Duquette's is well over $120m. Just guessing. Certainly feels like it. 

When you poorly handle a payroll, you're going to have less ability to be aggressive. Aggression usually means spending more, not less.

The Davis signing comes to mind.

While others are bad mouthing Vargas and Cashner,  I see them has improvement over Jimenez and Miley if they can be signed on 2 year contracts.  I would even be in favor of a vesting option for a third year on Cashner.  That means he would have to pitching pretty well for it to vest    

I also am fine with a low base salary contract for Tillman with incentive.  If he is not good after a month or so he can to DFA and work out his problems in the minors.  

I think the future is Bundy, Gausman, Harvey and Akin maybe as early as 2019.   I would love for the O's to have the problem of too much starting  pitching.  

I think the 2018 plan has to be Bundy and Gausman put up winning record and the O's get .500 records out of the rest or the rotation.

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Yup.  And with seemingly every other team being deliberate this off season, it's probably going to be another month before the Orioles make any moves.  

I would assume that at some point the imminence of spring training will cause the logjam to break with a fury.    Right now it’s kind of a starIng contest between the GM’s and the agents, waiting to see who’ll blink first.    But if you think we’re nervous about it, imagine how the players, GMs and agents feel about it.

13 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Only with this collusion, the russians won't be blamed. 

Maybe not, but I’m sure each of our political parties will find a way to blame the other one for it.

#justjoking #notdiscussingpolitics

54 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If this keeps up much longer the players union is going to start complaining about collusion.  

Carlos Pena said that he had been told by a player that was actually repressed in Free Agency during the collusion years that he received 8 offers. All identical. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I would assume that at some point the imminence of spring training will cause the logjam to break with a fury.    Right now it’s kind of a starIng contest between the GM’s and the agents, waiting to see who’ll blink first.    But if you think we’re nervous about it, imagine how the players, GMs and agents feel about it.

Good point Frobby.

Archived