Who's Your LOOGY?

Beef Supreme

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You get him for two years if you like.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/siegrke01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

Kevin Siegrist pitched for a crowd of about 20 scouts in Florida yesterday in an effort to show that he’s healthy after a poor, injury-marred 2017 season. The 28-year-old Siegrist posted sub-3.00 ERAs with the Cardinals in 2015-16 before struggling to a 4.81 ERA last year in season during which he logged DL time for both a forearm issue and a spinal sprain. Siegrist averaged a career-worst 5.03 walks per nine innings pitched last season, and his 92 mph average fastball was down noticeably from his peak, when his heater averaged 93.7 mph. Any club that signs Siegrist for the 2018 season could control him through 2019 via arbitration, as he presently has four years, 116 days of MLB service time.

MLBTR

You get him for two years if you like.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/s/siegrke01.shtml?utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker-

Kevin Siegrist pitched for a crowd of about 20 scouts in Florida yesterday in an effort to show that he’s healthy after a poor, injury-marred 2017 season. The 28-year-old Siegrist posted sub-3.00 ERAs with the Cardinals in 2015-16 before struggling to a 4.81 ERA last year in season during which he logged DL time for both a forearm issue and a spinal sprain. Siegrist averaged a career-worst 5.03 walks per nine innings pitched last season, and his 92 mph average fastball was down noticeably from his peak, when his heater averaged 93.7 mph. Any club that signs Siegrist for the 2018 season could control him through 2019 via arbitration, as he presently has four years, 116 days of MLB service time.

MLBTR

One name not mentioned on this list I noticed pitching today: Paul Fry. Took a step backward last year (4.66 ERA at Norfolk), but has an 11+ K/9 in the minors, and pitched to a 2.78 ERA in the PCL in 2016.

He was added to the 40-man when acquired (for Parker Bridwell DFA, doh!) but is not currently on the 40-man.

I'd probably rather give him a shot than going back to Donnie Hart.

35 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

One name not mentioned on this list I noticed pitching today: Paul Fry. Took a step backward last year (4.66 ERA at Norfolk), but has an 11+ K/9 in the minors, and pitched to a 2.78 ERA in the PCL in 2016.

He was added to the 40-man when acquired (for Parker Bridwell DFA, doh!) but is not currently on the 40-man.

I'd probably rather give him a shot than going back to Donnie Hart.

I saw some of Fry this past year. Bordline stuff guy, will really have to max his pitch-ability to have any kind of steady MLB success. More of a AAA depth guy for me.

I think the best option currently in the organization is probably Tanner Scott, but they want him to continue the 3 inning outings in AAA.

Hart is fine against lefties but should never see a RHB, and Buck doesn’t seem to hold anyone to a pure one out lefty role.

2 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

I saw some of Fry this past year. Bordline stuff guy, will really have to max his pitch-ability to have any kind of steady MLB success. More of a AAA depth guy for me.

I think the best option currently in the organization is probably Tanner Scott, but they want him to continue the 3 inning outings in AAA.

Hart is fine against lefties but should never see a RHB, and Buck doesn’t seem to hold anyone to a pure one out lefty role.

I like Hart as a LOOGY but we can’t afford to carry a LOOGY with this pitching staff. We need innings. 

On 2/27/2018 at 4:16 PM, Redskins Rick said:

Loogy, isnt that something that hangs from one's nose? :)

That's called a "booger."

A "loogie" is like a "hock," though "hock" can be used as a noun or a verb.

Used in a sentence: "She just hocked a loogie."

On 2/17/2018 at 11:10 PM, backwardsk said:

Josh Edgin, formerly of the Mets, is in camp and throwing.  He may be in the mix.  Saw s clip of him throwing next to O'Day and Wojo.  The ball looked damn good coming out of his hand. ?

He's getting a pretty good look from the staff so far and has pitched well. He could be a darkhorse as the second left-handed reliever besides Bleier. 

Archived