Something has to be done with Mark Trumbo

interloper

What are they going to do? They're not going to cut him and eat his salary so they're pretty much forced to play him and hope he plays everyday. The worst part is he's still under contract for another year so we'll be having this some conversation next March. We can't sign starting pitchers to 3 / 4 year deals, but we're willing to give swing for the fences / glorified DHs long term deals in a heartbeat. We should have either committed to Trumbo, and let Davis walk or vice versa. Resigning both of them was inexcusable. I'd be really curious to find out if that strategy was Dan or Brady's call. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

What are they going to do? They're not going to cut him and eat his salary so they're pretty much forced to play him and hope he plays everyday. The worst part is he's still under contract for another year so we'll be having this some conversation next March. We can't sign starting pitchers to 3 / 4 year deals, but we're willing to give swing for the fences / glorified DHs long term deals in a heartbeat. We should have either committed to Trumbo, and let Davis walk or vice versa. Resigning both of them was inexcusable. I'd be really curious to find out if that strategy was Dan or Brady's call. 

I suspect it was done because Peter wanted it done.

12 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

What are they going to do? They're not going to cut him and eat his salary so they're pretty much forced to play him and hope he plays everyday.

There is some point at which they would bench him, and some point where they'd cut him.  If it's May 15th and he's 11-for-89 with 44 Ks they're not going to just write his name in the lineup every day.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

There is some point at which they would bench him, and some point where they'd cut him.  If it's May 15th and he's 11-for-89 with 44 Ks they're not going to just write his name in the lineup every day.

If he gets back to hitting 47 homers, all the haters will quickly forgot how much they hated him :)

3 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

Peter Angelos is an absolute moron when it comes to baseball.  Anything he says, they should honestly do the opposite.

I won't say that you're wrong, but 99% of what we think we know about Peter Angelos' baseball acumen is based on 2nd or 3rd-hand inferences.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

If he gets back to hitting 47 homers, all the haters will quickly forgot how much they hated him :)

Even when he hit 47 homers his season was almost like a dare to see how little you can be worth while leading the league in homers. I think he had a bar bet with Tony Batista.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

Even when he hit 47 homers his season was almost like a dare to see how little you can be worth while leading the league in homers. I think he had a bar bet with Tony Batista.

it was sure fun, watching the pair of them, Davis and Mark slugfest.

Throw Mancini into the mix, along with Manny's increase power, and might have more fun to watch.

18 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

it was sure fun, watching the pair of them, Davis and Mark slugfest.

Throw Mancini into the mix, along with Manny's increase power, and might have more fun to watch.

I've tired of home runs.  For 25 years that's all there's been. Sit back and wait for a home run.

I want to see someone hit .400.  The modern Oriole record for batting average is Melvin Mora's .340.  The 1894 Orioles hit .343 as a team.  I know batting average is stupid, but that's what I want to see.  That's fun.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I've tired of home runs.  For 25 years that's all there's been. Sit back and wait for a home run.

I want to see someone hit .400.  The modern Oriole record for batting average is Melvin Mora's .340.  The 1894 Orioles hit .343 as a team.  I know batting average is stupid, but that's what I want to see.  That's fun.

as long as they win a WS trophy, I dont give a fig newton, how they do it. :)

13 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

This change occurred almost a hundred years ago.  You've got Babe Ruth to that for that.  You are apparently a Ty Cobb man.

27 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I want to see both.

20 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If you really want to be depressed, here's Trumbo's numbers since the second half of 2016.

G: 218
PAs: 895
HR: 42
BB: 67
K: 220
Slash: .228/.287/.421/.708

Here's the season and a half before Trumbo's great 2016 1st half

G: 209
PAs: 820
HR: 29
BB: 59
K: 199
slash: .256/.307/.428/.735

So outside of his 1st half of 2016 season, what makes anyone think he's not the .720 ish OPS DH that he probably is at this point in his career as a 32-year old?

The Orioles (surprise, surprise) gave out a bad contract to a one dimensional power hitter who had a good half a season in the last four years. No other way of candy coating it. It's time for them to move on.

I'm going to do the message board faux pas of quoting myself because I keep seeing people say Trumbo had one bad year. Trumbo has had one great all-star caliber half in the last four years.

i don't care where Trumbo is on March 7th. I care that he hasn't been good for an extended time very much over the last four years.

Archived