Buck lays into Mountcastle during "reassignment to minor camp" and possible new position?

Legend_Of_Joey

42 minutes ago, Old#5fan said:

Thanks Weams, just took him to Ocean City and he rode the small kids rides (teacup and carousel) and picked up ducks and netted fish for prizes and he loved it! Haven’t taken him to an Os game yet as he wouldn’t grasp any of it and would want to leave early. 

Minor league ball.   Cheap tickets, little amusement areas out in foul territory, and you don’t really care about the outcome that much anyway so if you miss a few innings, so be it.   

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Minor league ball.   Cheap tickets, little amusement areas out in foul territory, and you don’t really care about the outcome that much anyway so if you miss a few innings, so be it.   

Good idea Frobby!

2 hours ago, weams said:

Oh no. They have a much better playground there for him. You would just have to play with him. And stay with him. He'd stay interested in that. Plus, he gets in free! You buy a 12 dollar ticket, he gets in free. Give him the candy you bring in for free. Give him the cup of free ice they give you. Buy him the $1.50 hot dog and the 50 cent chips.  Grandpa is the greatest man on earth. Or that ever existed. That's how the whole thing works. 

Wasn’t aware off that deal, but still have to drive an hour and a half pay $20 or more to park and walk/carry him all the way to game and back, so would rather wait until he was my age (8) when I went to my first game which ended with a Russ Snyder walk-off homer that I could only hear the screaming and cow bell dinging as everyone stood up and I was too small! But I do like Frobbys suggestion of a minor league game as the Hagerstown Suns stadium is 30 minutes from me and  no parking costs nor much distance to walk.

Just now, Old#5fan said:

Wasn’t aware off that deal, but still have to drive an hour and a half pay $20 or more to park and walk/carry him all the way to game and back, so would rather wait until he was my age (8) when I went to my first game which ended with a Russ Snyder walk-off homer that I could only hear the screaming and cow bell dinging as everyone stood up and I was too small! But I do like Frobbys suggestion of a minor league game as the Hagerstown Suns stadium is 30 minutes from me and  no parking costs nor much distance to walk.

Plus, they are not an Orioles affiliate! You can park at the Orioles lot for 10 dollars, BTW. And so few fans go that you can definitely park closely! Unless you are trying to parlay a give-a-way for a profit. Frederick is close also. Try them out. 

11 minutes ago, weams said:

Plus, they are not an Orioles affiliate! You can park at the Orioles lot for 10 dollars, BTW. And so few fans go that you can definitely park closely! Unless you are trying to parlay a give-a-way for a profit. Frederick is close also. Try them out. 

Heck, drive to Bowie. See Mountcastle!

1 hour ago, weams said:

I may do Frederick which is 45 minutes 

7 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

How is it that, in this 24-64 season, Buck's harshest criticism to date was directed at Ryan Mountcastle.

Honestly, it wasn’t that harsh.     And Buck has usually refrained from criticizing his players when they’re down.   He’s more likely to pick nits when they’re up.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Honestly, it wasn’t that harsh.     And Buck has usually refrained from criticizing his players when they’re down.   He’s more likely to pick nits when they’re up.

So Mountcastle was feeling up when he was demoted to minor league camp?

Barnaby isn't wrong, his criticism of Mountcastle was as sharp as that of any player this year which is remarkable considering how critique worthy the play has been.  Even stuff like shoddy defense and not running balls out don't warrant comment.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So Mountcastle was feeling up when he was demoted to minor league camp?

Barnaby isn't wrong, his criticism of Mountcastle was as sharp as that of any player this year which is remarkable considering how critique worthy the play has been.  Even stuff like shoddy defense and not running balls out don't warrant comment.

I agree it’s about as harsh as anything he said all year.   At the same time, it’s not all that harsh.   He said some positive things as well.

As to the timing, yeah Buck said it on the day Mountcastle was reassigned to MiL camp, but I’d hardly say Mountcastle was down.   He hit .292/.320/.667 this spring, and was sent down because it was the time of spring when 21-year old kids in AA are reassigned.    I’d say it fits Buck’s M.O. to criticize a guy when his numbers are good, which Mountcastle’s were.    

35 minutes ago, Barnaby Graves said:

How is it that, in this 24-64 season, Buck's harshest criticism to date was directed at Ryan Mountcastle.

Maybe Buck see something in Ryan and wants him to be successful. Work hard. Why waste your breath on Davis and other vets like him? They won't be around when this team becomes good again. I don't know. Just a thought. 

6 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Maybe Buck see something in Ryan and wants him to be successful. Work hard. Why waste your breath on Davis and other vets like him? They won't be around when this team becomes good again. I don't know. Just a thought. 

The question has never been was Buck wrong to criticize Mountcastle, it was if he was wrong to do it publicly.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And I'm sure Buck had lots of heart to heart talks with the kid in his first spring training.  ?

I’m inclined to think Buck has those kinds of talks. Especially since he regularly visits minor league affiliates throughout the year. 

Buck isn’t the kind of manager that calls out players unless it’s warranted. It’s what makes him such a strong players’ manager.

The other thing is that young, relatively high draft picks require life lessons when warranted lest they go through life almost with a silver spoon a la Manziel.