Why do I feel crazy for actually believing the O's can win the East?

Nite

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Some folks credit Bud Norris for the O's winning the east in 2014 when they won by 12 games.

I think playing games 1 and 2 at home were real important. It just did not work in the next series. I blame Zach for that. 

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cobb and Cashner aren't workhorse types, they are more 165 IP guys.

Miley and Ubaldo pitched 300 innings last year.

So yea, it should lead to a lighter workload but not by a huge amount.

Every little bit helps.    We had a mind-boggling 52 starts last year where the starter failed to go five innings — that’s atrocious!    The offenders:

Jimenez 10

Gausman 10

Miley 9

Tillman 9

Hellickson 4

Bundy 4

Others 6

By contrast, Cashner failed to go five innings four times and Cobb did it only twice.   They may not be 7 inning guys or guys who start all 32-33 times, but at least they’re keeping their teams in the games and not taxing the long relievers.

Cobb and Cashner aren't workhorse types, they are more 165 IP guys.

Miley and Ubaldo pitched 300 innings last year.

So yea, it should lead to a lighter workload but not by a huge amount.

I would think a lot depends on the health of Cobb/Cashner. They don't have workhorse track records but averaged 6.2/6.0 IP/GS last year compared to 5.0/4.9 for Jimenez and Miley.

If we can play .500 ball into July, and then Sisco, Hays and Harvey assert themselves, we could contend for a playoff spot. It's just as likely that we will be 8 games under .500 by the end of April because of the schedule and the bullpen will be completely shot thanks to Tillman and Wright. 

Quality Starts is probably a good way to compare.   Its not about the pens or offense that effect wins.

Ubaldo   25 S,  5 QS

Miley   32 S, 8 QS

Total   57 S. 13 QS

Cashner 28 S,    18 QS

Cobb  29 S,  15 QS

Total   57 S,  33 QS 

Obviously the difference is huge.

Add to that the fact  Bundy was  coaxed through last year because of the large jump in innings.  This year he should be ready to go 200 innings without problems.

And that McDowell helped Gausman find his direct path to the plate in the 2nd half and that is where he starts his year which should lead to a better overall year. He can also go 200 innings this year.

The problem is Tillman looks no better than last year.  He probably getting 10 starts and 1-5 is about where he probably ends up.   Buck will say "If not Tillman who?"    What Cortes and Harvey do will be important.  Dan is going to have to come up with another starter.

But just looking at Cashner and  Cobb the difference is significant.

6 hours ago, weams said:

I think playing games 1 and 2 at home were real important. It just did not work in the next series. I blame Zach for that.

o

I view playoff series losses as team efforts, just like I view series playoff series wins. In addition to Bud Norris failing to make it out of the 5th inning of Game Two, the Orioles' offense scored a total of 2 runs in Games Three and Four combined.

I also consider the entire picture when judging a player, which includes what they contributed during the entire regular season and the postseason combined.

I believe that winning teams find ways to win in spite of a bad start or two by a pitcher in the rotation, and/or a critical error made by a position player, and/or bad calls that are made by umpires. Losing teams will sometimes do the opposite.

The Royals found ways to win in that series, and the Orioles didn't. They overcome the Orioles playing the first two games in Baltimore, and the Orioles did not take advantage of that homefield leverage. That philosophy/point of view also helps me with not feeling bitterness about the times in which my team loses (or it at least helps in minimizing the bitterness.)

o

41 minutes ago, harp6 said:

Hey, one ESPN "expert" agrees that the O's will win the east.  I guess that makes the O's a semi-superteam.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/22919123/2018-espn-expert-predictions-which-superteam-rule-baseball

I'm guessing ESPN doesn't drug test.

Or maybe they fired so many folks they are asking folks off the street.

Archived