2018 Mike Wright

Frobby

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

One in 9,541,024.15625.

35 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Wow, where did you get the EXACT population of the world ???

Is there a web site somewhere that updates every time someone is born or dies ???  

o

o

2 hours ago, weams said:

Baseball is real hard. On 800 guys on the planet are good enough. So what is that a one in a billion talent? 

Depending on how you want to look at it, I think 800 is either much too small or much too big.

Too small: at least 1358 players played in the majors last year (that’s the total number of batters; there are some pitchers or fielders who never batted).

Too big: the number of guys who stick on the roster all year is probably only about 600 (including guys who spent part of the year on the DL but who were never in the minors except for rehab).

4 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Tillman was never as bad as Wright has been.

Tillman, like many others, Schilling for example, didn't really have success until his 4th season as a SP.

Mike Wright had a FAR SUPERIOR 2017 to Chris Tillman. All three seasons for Wright have been way better than Tillman was last year.

Wright's stats from his first three years look a lot like Tillman's first three years.

Curt Schilling was EXCELLENT in his FIRST year as a starter, 1992. He lead the entire MLB in WHIP at .990! Schilling was 14-11, 2.35 ERA, 150 ERA+, 0.4 HR/9, league-leading .66 H/9 and threw 10 Complete Games with 4 Shutouts in only 26 starts after starting the year in Philadelphia's bullpen. That's tremendously successful.

Schilling had spent his first two MLB seasons in the bullpen -- one very good year in Baltimore and one OK year in Houston. Prior to that he pitched only 8.2 innings and 14.2 innings, respectively. Nobody would count 1 start in one season and four starts in another as a "season as a SP." Tillman can't be mentioned in the same breath as Schilling, if we are honestly evaluating their worth.

16 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

Wright's stats from his first three years look a lot like Tillman's first three years.

Sort of.    Tillman had an ERA+ of 78, exclusively as a starter, while Wright had an ERA+ of 73 (about 68 as a starter).    And Tillman was ages 21-23, while Wright was ages 25-27.   I’ll grant you Tillman wasn’t great those first three years, but he was significantly better than Wright and showed a lot more flashes of talent.   

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Depending on how you want to look at it, I think 800 is either much too small or much too big.

Too small: at least 1358 players played in the majors last year (that’s the total number of batters; there are some pitchers or fielders who never batted).

Too big: the number of guys who stick on the roster all year is probably only about 600 (including guys who spent part of the year on the DL but who were never in the minors except for rehab).

I'll go with too big. Thanks.  Only really 500 good ones. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sort of.    Tillman had an ERA+ of 78, exclusively as a starter, while Wright had an ERA+ of 73 (about 68 as a starter).    And Tillman was ages 21-23, while Wright was ages 25-27.   I’ll grant you Tillman wasn’t great those first three years, but he was significantly better than Wright and showed a lot more flashes of talent.

I realize the ages are different. And that Tillman only started. But the WHIPs, ERAs, H/9, BB/9, K/9 and HR/9 are quite similar. Surprisingly similar. And considering all the hype that cam with Tillman, he disappointed terribly those first three seasons. I don't think he actually showed a lot more flashes of talent because I think he showed very few flashes of talent at all in those years as he shuttled back-and-forth between the minors. Tillman pitched more at the minor league level in all three of those years than he did in MLB (both games and IPs).

30 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I realize the ages are different. And that Tillman only started. But the WHIPs, ERAs, H/9, BB/9, K/9 and HR/9 are quite similar. Surprisingly similar. And considering all the hype that cam with Tillman, he disappointed terribly those first three seasons. I don't think he actually showed a lot more flashes of talent because I think he showed very few flashes of talent at all in those years as he shuttled back-and-forth between the minors.Tillman pitched more at the minor league level in all three of those years than he did in MLB (both games and IPs).

In the three years in question, Tillman had 13 starts with a game score of 50 or higher, compared to Wright’s five.    Those included a 6 inning no-hitter, a 6.2 inning 1 hitter, a 7.2 inning 2 hitter and a 7 inning 3 hitter.   I consider those pretty good flashes.    Wright had a few good games too but even in his best outings allowed 3 hits or more.  

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In the three years in question, Tillman had 13 starts with a game score of 50 or higher, compared to Wright’s five.    Those included a 6 inning no-hitter, a 6.2 inning 1 hitter, a 7.2 inning 2 hitter and a 7 inning 3 hitter.   I consider those pretty good flashes.    Wright had a few good games too but even in his best outings allowed 3 hits or more.

Agreed. I suppose those other 23 starts blotted out the 13 good ones in my memory. Though I was very surprised how well their stats from their first three years compare, I am not putting those two in the same breath either. We expected Tillman's eventual success, even after those mediocre first seasons. I can't name anyone on OH who believes at this juncture that Wright will become a successful starting pitcher. I tend to side with the person who thinks Wright's upside is as an OK MLB reliever instead of stud reliever.

46 minutes ago, Beef Supreme said:

I can't name anyone on OH who believes at this juncture that Wright will become a successful starting pitcher. I tend to side with the person who thinks Wright's upside is as an OK MLB reliever instead of stud reliever.

I tend to agree.    Of course, I’m praying for more.    ? 

Just now, Frobby said:

I tend to agree.    Of course, I’m praying for more.    ?

I was about to post that if the light goes on for Wright after the past three years like it did for Tillman, we shall all be ecstatic to be wrong. As you posted, he followed up that first poor year at Norfolk with a dominant season. That's an optimistic way of seeing things.

Archived