Hunter Harvey Plan?

accinfo

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-harvey-baysox-media-day-0403-story.html

In my opinion the only reason they are doing this 3 inning start is to save his innings for Baltimore later in the year.  Much like they did with Dylan Bundy two years ago.  Bundy pitched in the bullpen until they felt he could finish the season as a starter.   Buck said many times that he would he had no restrictions, etc going into this year.  If that was true and they intended for him to pitch in the minors for the year he would start at least 5 or 6 innings and cut him off whenever they felt he had pitched enough innings later in the season.  There is too much smoke when I hear Roch say many times it was not out of question he would be in Baltimore sooner or later.  I don't really have any problem with it.  His velocity is fine, he feels fine.  He is 23 years old and if he is ready to get big leaguers out then they might as well do it sooner than later.

Anyone can of course believe what they like.

I believe in a couple of things that pertain to Harvey getting called up this season.

High stress innings are more damaging to a pitcher than low stress innings.

Pitchers are more likely to get injured when they are fatigued.

Harvey had never pitched at a level higher than A ball so I'm guessing navigating a ML lineup will be a lot more stressful than he is used to.

Harvey's career high for IP is 87.2, in 2017 he pitched 18.2.  I'm guessing he will be suffering from fatigue by the all star break even if they keep his appearances short.

They need to stay hands off for 2018.  He ain't going to turn this team into a playoff team.

I just reminded myself of Bundy’s ridiculous stint at Delmarva.

Game 1: 3 perfect innings, 6 K’s

Game 2: 3 perfect innings, 6 K’s

Game 3: 3 hitless innings, 3 K’s, 1 walk 

Game 4: 4 perfect innings, 6 K’s

Game 5: 4 scoreless innings, 4 K’s, 1 hit, 1 walk

Game 6: 3 innings, 1 hit, 1 unearned run, 8 K’s

Game 7: 5 innings, 2 hits, 1 unearned run, 3 K’s.

Game 8: 5 scoreless innings, 1 hit, 4 K’s

Totals at Delmarva: 30 innings, 5 hits, 2 unearned runs, 0 earned runs, 2 walks, 40 strikeouts.

Anyway, the point is, the O’s did build him up to 5 inning starts eventually.    

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Anyone can of course believe what they like.

I believe in a couple of things that pertain to Harvey getting called up this season.

High stress innings are more damaging to a pitcher than low stress innings.

Pitchers are more likely to get injured when they are fatigued.

Harvey had never pitched at a level higher than A ball so I'm guessing navigating a ML lineup will be a lot more stressful than he is used to.

Harvey's career high for IP is 87.2, in 2017 he pitched 18.2.  I'm guessing he will be suffering from fatigue by the all star break even if they keep his appearances short.

They need to stay hands off for 2018.  He ain't going to turn this team into a playoff team.

I think the most likely scenario is Harvey stays in the minors all year.   Bundy threw 103 innings in the minors in his first season in 23 starts, and my guess is the O’s have something similar in mind for Harvey.    However, if he’s dominant in AA (in which case, your point about him never having pitched above low A becomes moot), they may not be able to resist having him throw some of those 100ish innings in the majors.    I’ll worry about it if and when he actually dominates at AA.

We don't have to worry about it as long as we're getting killed 6-0 every night.

But if not, hopefully Tillman getting bounced to the 5 when Cobb comes up makes the rotation stabilized enough (assuming Gausman remembers he can be a decent pitcher) that they won't feel the need to go get Harvey around the All Star break.

Archived