Release Alvarez now

eddie83

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

Because he really shouldn't be on a MLB roster. He's a positionless player with no upside who can't hit lefties. In this day and age of versatile players why would handcuff yourself by carrying such a one dimensional player? 

I think you missed my point

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

This is not a bash Pedro thread but after what we have seen the last couple of nights they can’t keep gong like this. On Monday down 4 runs to a dominant Morton we burn Castro for 2 innings and he isn’t available last night. Last night in a tight game we use two Rule 5 players. I know at some point things will settle down but for now what is more important, another redundant player on the bench or another arm in the pen?

No reason Santander and Valencia can’t handle the DH duties until Trumbo is back. Bring up another reliever now and then send them down for Cobb on Monday. Once Trumbo is back a decision will have to be made about who gets moved for him and we can go with a typical 4 man bench. It isn’t like Alvarez can be used as a glove or pinch runner. This also is not a typical April with a bunch of off days. 

On a side note last night our best OF defender who played was the DH which made no sense.  

It is so frustrating sometimes to watch how we operate. I know that not much is going right at the moment but with the roster construction that isn’t helping. We have 2 LH long reliever types in Bleier and Cortes. Redundant. Of course one of those is a Rule 5 pick and Araujo is another. 

Once Cobb was signed that indicated to me by Orioles standards they were all in. It would be nice if they built the roster with that in mind. They could not have known the pen would be used so much this early on but the facts are it has and as others have mentioned it is doubtful Alvarez gets claimed.  

I know you didn't intend it to be but this post is hilarious.  And I will apologize up front and say that I am not making fun of you and I do not mean to take your post out of context in any way.  I saw the title: Release Alvarez now and thought oh god, another negative bash the player thread.  Then I was relieved that your first line went out of the way to state that you did not intend to bash Alverez and then by god you proceeded to honor your word.  

I have said in numerous posts that it is too early to panic and I do not think this is one of those posts at all.  But you stated that Alvarez should be released and then pointed out a tremendous list of Oriole woes, oddly leaving out Chris Davis, but I digress.  I can't really disagree with anything in your post.  Why is that so funny? 

It's just such a long list of things that have gone wrong so far and in reading the list in totality, Alvarez seems almost inconsequential to the myriad of things the O's need to turn around.  Also while chuckling about how honest you were to your opening line I decided to fix/edit your post.  But I like your version better.

This is not a bash Pedro thread but after what we have seen the last couple of nights they can’t keep going like this. It isn’t like Alvarez can be used as a glove or pinch runner.  It is doubtful Alvarez gets claimed.  

12 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I know you didn't intend it to be but this post is hilarious.  And I will apologize up front and say that I am not making fun of you and I do not mean to take your post out of context in any way.  I saw the title: Release Alvarez now and thought oh god, another negative bash the player thread.  Then I was relieved that your first line went out of the way to state that you did not intend to bash Alverez and then by god you proceeded to honor your word.  

I have said in numerous posts that it is too early to panic and I do not think this is one of those posts at all.  But you stated that Alvarez should be released and then pointed out a tremendous list of Oriole woes, oddly leaving out Chris Davis, but I digress.  I can't really disagree with anything in your post.  Why is that so funny? 

It's just such a long list of things that have gone wrong so far and in reading the list in totality, Alvarez seems almost inconsequential to the myriad of things the O's need to turn around.  Also while chuckling about how honest you were to your opening line I decided to fix/edit your post.  But I like your version better.

This is not a bash Pedro thread but after what we have seen the last couple of nights they can’t keep going like this. It isn’t like Alvarez can be used as a glove or pinch runner.  It is doubtful Alvarez gets claimed.  

I think there's a good chance he gets claimed...by a beer/softball league team. 

I've said it before, I'll say it again, he is a notoriously slow starter.  He should have started in the minors until June where he heats up.  Look at his career month to month splits.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.fcgi?id=alvarpe01&year=Career&t=b#month::none

He's historically hit .194 in April/March and .224 in May.  

But overall I agree, he's a player without a position and he doesn't belong on a team with a bunch of other one dimensional guys.  Alvarez on a team with guys who can get on base is fine.  Alvarez on a team with a bunch of guys who swing for the fences every time and all have a .310 on base percentage isn't a fit.

34 minutes ago, foxfield said:

At the end of the day they either need to protect the pen or let go of a Rule 5 pitcher. They have to make a move by Monday for Cobb. 

I am excited that in the near future we will finally have some young athleticism on the field and better flexibility. If the team is willing to eat some money they can expedite the process even faster. 

They kept Valencia knowing he has limited value so that must mean he will play vs LHP. They can’t play this game of trying to keep everyone. It isn’t going to work. 

2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I like Pedro. His power is impressive but the fact he is a huge negative at any position makes this a a head scratcher. Hays should be on this team IMO.

But he was hurt in ST. I wanted Hays up too. 

6 minutes ago, Ripken said:

Tillman, Alvarez, Gentry out ...and... Cobb, Hays, Scott in

Davis to bench, Mancini to first.

No way this would happen but man does that sound yummy:)

I would stick with Tillman for a while longer though (I have little trust in Wright despite his performance last night, but for now, go with the hot hand).

51 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

No way this would happen but man does that sound yummy:)

I would stick with Tillman for a while longer though (I have little trust in Wright despite his performance last night, but for now, go with the hot hand).

We'd be a better team, but, yeah, veteranosity and all that.

I think Tillman is way done so I'd actually stay with Wright for now, and yes that's not great.  Maybe Harvey is up in June.

56 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

Wake up call guys. It's not just Alvarez. Based on performance so far, half the roster should be released. :$

I don't know about half... but Tillman, Davis, Gentry, and Alvarez should be.  Trumbo is probably on that list, too.

41 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I think the point here is that Alvarez brings nothing to the team that we don't already have, and the team could use another arm in the pen.

Honestly, why is this hard for Dan/Buck to see?  

3 hours ago, foxfield said:

If he gets claimed the O's are off the hook for almost a million.

Of course he won't get claimed, he had an opt out last year and didn't use it, I'm guessing it isn't because he enjoyed Norfolk.

If it wasn't for the O's he'd be on this third year in the KBO.

Archived