Is it time to bring in a "Davis Whisperer"?

FanSince88

1 hour ago, Camden_yardbird said:

CD said this off season he wanted to be more aggressive.  That hasn't haleped out.  So far this season, with the realization we are no where near normalization, he has a big drop in his line drive rate, increase in his ground ball rate, and a big increase in his in the zone contact.  

So his more aggressive approach thus far has lead to hitting more pitchers pitches into weak groundballs.  This could because pitchers are throwing more off speed stuff to him.

Nothing here strikes me as something that can't be fixed.

I actually think he might be coming around a bit, the last two games. But know we face a few lefties so...

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it time to whisper that maybe Davis is emerging from his funk?   Over his last 8 games he’s hitting .275/.363/.448.

I had kind of forgotten that Davis missed much of spring training with a sore elbow.    Maybe he’s just regaining his timing?

Yes, I realize I’m clutching at straws here.    A Davis who puts up an .811 OPS while he’s hot and .400 when he’s cold would still be a sub-replacement player.   And, Davis has still had 14 K’s in 33 PA during his “hot” streak.

Still, baby steps.....it’s better than seeing a guy with no pulse whatsoever.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is it time to whisper that maybe Davis is emerging from his funk?   Over his last 8 games he’s hitting .275/.363/.448.

I had kind of forgotten that Davis missed much of spring training with a sore elbow.    Maybe he’s just regaining his timing?

Yes, I realize I’m clutching at straws here.    A Davis who puts up an .811 OPS while he’s hot and .400 when he’s cold would still be a sub-replacement player.   And, Davis has still had 14 K’s in 33 PA during his “hot” streak.

Still, baby steps.....it’s better than seeing a guy with no pulse whatsoever.   

I had been scared to even think it, but it’s been nice to watch.

Now would be a great time for Chris to get into "hot" mode. Chris has a lot going on.  Elbow injury, limited spring training, big contract pressure, new dad.  He is also ADHD and takes Vyvance which can put you through incredible mood swings and has so many side effects like physical weakness.  My son took Vyvance, I have seen what it can do.

38 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

No..to see if he's in violation of his contract.

The Orioles can’t use PEDs to get out of his contract. Use without permission and associated penalties are covered in the contract with the players union. I guess the Orioles would save his salary money if he was suspended. 

26 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I believe if they fitted Davis with on field glasses his plate vision could improve . Even if it was psychological, it might give him a boost. I've seen it work before...

Really at this point the Orioles should make Davis get laser eye surgery to recoup their investment.  Hypnosis, sacrifice a chicken, whatever it takes to get Davis to be at least decent on the field.  

On 4/21/2018 at 7:58 AM, baltfan said:

Last night they made a good point that Davis didn’t get a full spring training due to elbow issues.  He has looked better as of late.  Still on the record as being hopeful

This is one thing that's frustrating as hell with Davis.  It's always a little something that's wrong with him.  Yeah, sore elbow, I get it.  But it's not like he's throwing fastballs.  He's swinging a bat.

Guys play with bumps, bruises and soreness all summer.  Davis always seems to have an slight nagging issue thats preventing him from hitting well.  

What's next, a hangnail?

57 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I believe if they fitted Davis with on field glasses his plate vision could improve . Even if it was psychological, it might give him a boost. I've seen it work before...

28 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Really at this point the Orioles should make Davis get laser eye surgery to recoup their investment.  Hypnosis, sacrifice a chicken, whatever it takes to get Davis to be at least decent on the field.  

Yeah, he definitely doesn't seem to have the 20/14 to 20/16 range vision that a lot of major leaguers have.  Some pitches it seems like he's never even registered the ball.

Another question... I seem to recall two or three years back, when he was having more success, he was swinging a huge, tree-trunky bat.  Now that the bat speed has come down, has anyone looked at getting him a lighter bat?   If he hadn't tried it, I don't think it could hurt. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

This is one thing that's frustrating as hell with Davis.  It's always a little something that's wrong with him.  Yeah, sore elbow, I get it.  But it's not like he's throwing fastballs.  He's swinging a bat.

Guys play with bumps, bruises and soreness all summer.  Davis always seems to have an slight nagging issue thats preventing him from hitting well.  

What's next, a hangnail?

Tommy John.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

My leading theory is that he is legally blind. 

Archived