Is it time to bring in a "Davis Whisperer"?

FanSince88

29 minutes ago, atomic said:

Looks like Davis will be platoon player going forward.  That should help the team.

This is not a true statement. 

We are a very long way from that point.  Buck said Davis was sick today...at least in the morning. 

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Aglets said:

This is not a true statement. 

We are a very long way from that point.  Buck said Davis was sick today...at least in the morning. 

And said Davis would have sat regardless of who was pitching.  

On 4/5/2018 at 2:36 PM, weams said:

That's not how unions work. 

The agents do run the players though.

Just not their union.

It pretty much is.  Unions in public employment uniformly oppose efforts to reward workers for superior performance or to penalize those who don't do so well.  See all teacher contract negotiations. Private industry pretty much the same.

On 4/8/2018 at 11:53 PM, Since'54 said:

It pretty much is.  Unions in public employment uniformly oppose efforts to reward workers for superior performance or to penalize those who don't do so well.  See all teacher contract negotiations. Private industry pretty much the same.

I suppose you are right about that, but I wouldn’t say that means the MLBPA is “not a real union.”    Baseball players attained astounding increases in pay and other benefits through the efforts of their union.     The fact that pay is not equalized is largely a function of the fact that baseball is a competitive enterprise with winners and losers where contributions of individuals are rather easily measured compared to public institutions or even most private businesses.    

Chris Davis even breaks bats to his right side.  Perhaps he should work on going against his natural tendency once in a while and break bats on his left leg.

Or maybe he'd be even better at breaking bats if he used a lighter bat.

48 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

He should have just done competitive lifting for a living. 

Maybe they could have Davis in the Kids area during the game.  He could smash bats over his knees and make animal balloons to entertain the kids.  

33 minutes ago, weams said:

"Since Opening Day 2016, Gordon has posted a woeful .213/.300/.343 slash in 1071 plate appearances, missing time along the way with a fractured right wrist (in May 2016)."

Wow, that makes Chris Davis since 2016 look like Babe Ruth.  I guess things could be a lot worse, though that sort of batting line for CD could certainly happen in 2018 the way things have been going.  Hopefully he can build off of his very modest success last night.  

11 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

"Since Opening Day 2016, Gordon has posted a woeful .213/.300/.343 slash in 1071 plate appearances, missing time along the way with a fractured right wrist (in May 2016)."

Wow, that makes Chris Davis since 2016 look like Babe Ruth.  I guess things could be a lot worse, though that sort of batting line for CD could certainly happen in 2018 the way things have been going.  Hopefully he can build off of his very modest success last night.  

Including this season, Gordon has two years and $44 mm left on his deal.   Davis has 5 years and $115 mm.    Even knowing Gordon’s injury, I’d rather have him and his contract than Davis and his.    

CD said this off season he wanted to be more aggressive.  That hasn't haleped out.  So far this season, with the realization we are no where near normalization, he has a big drop in his line drive rate, increase in his ground ball rate, and a big increase in his in the zone contact.  

So his more aggressive approach thus far has lead to hitting more pitchers pitches into weak groundballs.  This could because pitchers are throwing more off speed stuff to him.

Nothing here strikes me as something that can't be fixed.

Archived