Frobby

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

Is it spring break in Baltimore this week.  It is here.  This would think that might increase attendance but I think a lot of families travel out of town.

That said, it's still rough.  Bad team last year, no hype this year, bad weather,  bad opponent, hangover from the riots.  It's a lot of add up to low attendance.

Schools reopened April 3rd in the Baltimore area Not sure which schools have Spring break.

26 minutes ago, atomic said:

0 is less than 7915.  I am not sure what else there is to say. 

C'mon just stop. Do we really have to caveat this record with the fact the Orioles were forced to play a game with no fans due to the security situation in Baltimore? We all know that game will forever hold the record for least attended game in MLB history, but this was the lowest PAID attendance in Camden Yards history in which fans were allowed in to the stadium.

6 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

Man it was miserable yesterday the weather played a major role in that attendance figure JMHO.

It's a much bigger deal than that, IMO.   If we assume that the lowest attended game this year and lowest attended game last year are both close to the season ticker holder 'floors' as Frobby did in the OP here.....than

11,142 - 7,915 = 3,227  season ticket holders from last year that have dropped their plans.   I found a 2016 Sun article that estimates an average Oriole Park ticket at $30  (i'm guessing that's on the low side) so if you multiply it all out times 81 home games I get close to $8M in lost revenue from that alone.  :(

3 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Exactly. Nobody is dragging their kids out in that weather on a school night.  

We can talk about weather all day long though but this is about lack of season ticket holders. There are no advanced sales for weeknight games in April. No giveaways these games either. Why would someone in advance buy tickets to these 3 games?  Even if the weather is nicer your fan base comes from the suburbs and is going to wait and go to games most convenient for them, Friday, Saturday and Sunday games.  

Good points here. I’d also like to make mention of how stale the divisions in MLB have gotten as well. I’m  tired of playing so many games against the same 4 teams.  

27 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well you were wrong. They had a game with no fans .  How could that have more paid attendance than last nights game. 

You’re technically correct, but the zero fan game is completely beside the point.    Fans were not permitted to attend that game.   If they had been, paid attendance would have been higher than last night’s, due to the higher season ticket base.

To the cold weather, weeknight, April vacations crowd:  all that is beside the point.   We have lousy weather on certain April weeknight games every single year.   When you have those games, paid attendance is basically equal to the season ticket base, I.e., people who had purchased tickets long before game day.    So when you set a new low attendance mark (for games in which fans actually were allowed to attend, okay?) that is more than 20% below the previous all time low and more than 30% below last year’s low, that’s got little to do with the weather, the day of the week or anything other than the fact that season ticket sales have dropped precipitously this year.    And that’s very bad news for the team.   

47 minutes ago, atomic said:

They had a game with no fans there so it wasn't lowest attended.  

The game you’re referencing wasn’t attended at all. With that being said, yesterday’s game was indeed the lowest attended game in the history of the park. 

3 minutes ago, fansince1988 said:

Good points here. I’d also like to make mention of how stale the divisions in MLB have gotten as well. I’m  tired of playing so many games against the same 4 teams.  

Agree with this 100%.   I miss seeing the Central and West divisions multiple times a year.  Go back to the balanced schedule.  With the two wildcards, I don't see the need to play so many games in division.  

I want to see Ohtani play against the Orioles.  I don't need to see the Yankees play against the Orioles 19 times this year.   

12 minutes ago, Aglets said:

It's a much bigger deal than that, IMO.   If we assume that the lowest attended game this year and lowest attended game last year are both close to the season ticker holder 'floors' as Frobby did in the OP here.....than

11,142 - 7,915 = 3,227  season ticket holders from last year that have dropped their plans.   I found a 2016 Sun article that estimates an average Oriole Park ticket at $30  (i'm guessing that's on the low side) so if you multiply it all out times 81 home games I get close to $8M in lost revenue from that alone.  :(

Some people changed their tickets because of the weather.I heard season ticket plans are about 8,500 give or take.Used to be about 14,000 and dropped to 11,500 or so and now about 8,500 since the Orioles made the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Agree with this 100%.   I miss seeing the Central and West divisions multiple times a year.  Go back to the balanced schedule.  With the two wildcards, I don't see the need to play so many games in division.  

I want to see Ohtani play against the Orioles.  I don't need to see the Yankees play against the Orioles 19 times this year.   

But Angelos wants the Yankees and Red Sox for attendance boosts.

4 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Some people changed their tickets because of the weather.I heard Season ticket plans are about 8,500 give or take.Used to be about 14,000 and dropped to 11,500 or so and now about 8,500 since the Orioles made the playoffs.

True I'm sure there are partial season ticket plan holders who had tickets to last night's game and said 'no way.'   Not sure how we can quantify that though.

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

True I'm sure there are partial season ticket plan holders who had tickets to last night's game and said 'no way.'   Not sure how we can quantify that though.

You can’t quantify it.  Season ticket holders who want to exchange have to do it 48 hours in advance.   I actually had tickets for this game, as a member of a ticket group, and wanted to exchange my tickets.   But the guy who runs our group (who is the ticket holder of record) wasn’t available to request the exchange in time so I got stuck with them.   I gave them to my son, who took two friends and the fourth ticket went to waste.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

You’re technically correct, but the zero fan game is completely beside the point.    Fans were not permitted to attend that game.   If they had been, paid attendance would have been higher than last night’s, due to the higher season ticket base.

To the cold weather, weeknight, April vacations crowd:  all that is beside the point.   We have lousy weather on certain April weeknight games every single year.   When you have those games, paid attendance is basically equal to the season ticket base, I.e., people who had purchased tickets long before game day.    So when you set a new low attendance mark (for games in which fans actually were allowed to attend, okay?) that is more than 20% below the previous all time low and more than 30% below last year’s low, that’s got little to do with the weather, the day of the week or anything other than the fact that season ticket sales have dropped precipitously this year.    And that’s very bad news for the team.   

Well baseball attendance league wide last year was down for the third year in a row. Lowest attendance since 2002.   Ravens attendance was down last year.  You have lots of things negative:

* Late signing of players

* Machado and Schoop skipping fanfest

* Riots and high crime

* Bad season last year

* Basball waning popularity. 

Then you have a Monday game during spring break, with cold weather and rain, against an opponent that comes to town all the time and isn't very good either.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Well baseball attendance league wide last year was down for the third year in a row. Lowest attendance since 2002.   Ravens attendance was down last year.  You have lots of things negative:

* Late signing of players

* Machado and Schoop skipping fanfest

* Riots and high crime

* Bad season last year

* Basball waning popularity. 

Then you have a Monday game during spring break, with cold weather and rain, against an opponent that comes to town all the time and isn't very good either.  

I think the bad season last year followed by inactivity during the period when season tickets were up for renewal were the main factors.   You always expect season ticket sales to drop after a bad season, and when the team appears to not be addressing the problems that led to the bad season, that exacerbates the problem.   The Cashner/Cobb signings came long after fans made their decisions about renewing season tickets.    

If this team falls out of the race early, it could be a bloodbath so far as attendance goes.    But if the team plays well, at least some of the folks who didn’t renew their season tickets will end up attending some games and could eat into the 250,000 ticket hole the team has dug for itself.   

Archived