2019 Orioles

connja

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Bird Dog said:

They weren't and didn't.....I doubt they get much for a two month rental.

Well, they believed they would give it one last go this offseason.  I didn't agree, but it is what it is.  That being said, as bad as they've looked, they've had a ridiculously hard schedule.  Perhaps things straighten out and they start playing better, which of course, would likely hurt their chances of trading Manny.

It's tough wanting them to win games of course, but knowing that doing so means they hold onto Manny and lose him for a song.

No chance in hell that lineup is happening. Davis and Trumbo will be in there. Machado will not. To think otherwise is madness. This is not the type of team to bench high paid players and definitely not the type to give out $300 million contracts.

21 hours ago, connja said:

OK, time to start looking forward to next year, or maybe even second half.  This is what I would like to see using only current assets.  Much more enjoyable than this collection they are running out there now:

1. Cedric Mullins - CF
  2. DJ Stewart - LF
  3. Manny Machado - SS
  4. Jon Schoop - 2B
  5. Trey Mancini - 1B
  6. Austin Hays - RF
  7. Anthony Santander - DH
  8. Chance Sisco - C
  9. Tim Beckham - 3B

Now I can definitely be talked into keeping Jonsey around - certainly for the 2nd half of this year.  But would not sign him to a long extension.

Jones already said he wants a ring.  He is not going to get one here, so there is about 0% that he resigns here.  Honestly, I am over Jones at this point.  2 weeks into the season and between the offseason tweets and cryptic messages he is sending now, he clearly is not happy here and seems to be disconnecting himself from the Oriole fans.

1 hour ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Jones already said he wants a ring.  He is not going to get one here, so there is about 0% that he resigns here.  Honestly, I am over Jones at this point.  2 weeks into the season and between the offseason tweets and cryptic messages he is sending now, he clearly is not happy here and seems to be disconnecting himself from the Oriole fans.

On the bright side, all of that wine that Valencia is recommending him might ease the pain.

1 hour ago, Mayor McCheese said:

Jones also wants a job.

The O's have a history of bringing back guys the rest of the league isn't interested in, folks like Reimold, Trumbo, Alvarez and Tillman.

If Jones doesn't pick it up real quick the O's might be the only ML offer he gets.

23 hours ago, connja said:

OK, time to start looking forward to next year, or maybe even second half.  This is what I would like to see using only current assets.  Much more enjoyable than this collection they are running out there now:

1. Cedric Mullins - CF
  2. DJ Stewart - LF
  3. Manny Machado - SS
  4. Jon Schoop - 2B
  5. Trey Mancini - 1B
  6. Austin Hays - RF
  7. Anthony Santander - DH
  8. Chance Sisco - C
  9. Tim Beckham - 3B

Now I can definitely be talked into keeping Jonsey around - certainly for the 2nd half of this year.  But would not sign him to a long extension.

Seriously, you might as well strike through Machado. There's zero chance he's coming back and that changes the whole dynamic of the roster because you'll need to shift Beckham to SS and probably put Mountcastle at 3B. I'm also not convinced Mancini can play adequate defense at 1B or that Santander is actually an everyday major league player.

I like the idea of playing the young guys though. It's time to see what they can do. 

13 hours ago, El Gordo said:

FA SS and 3B available next year

Shortstops

Elvis Andrus (30) — can opt out of remaining four years and $58MM
Asdrubal Cabrera (33)
Alcides Escobar (32)
Eduardo Escobar (30)
Freddy Galvis (29)
Marwin Gonzalez (30)
Adeiny Hechavarria (30)
Jose Iglesias (29)
Manny Machado (26)
Jordy Mercer (32)
Eduardo Nuñez (32) — $4MM player option with a $2MM buyout
Cliff Pennington (35)
Jose Reyes (36)
Eric Sogard (33)

Third Basemen

Adrian Beltre (40)
Asdrubal Cabrera (33)
Josh Donaldson (33)
Logan Forsythe (32)
David Freese (36) — $6MM club option with a $500K buyout
Marwin Gonzalez (30)
Chase Headley (35)
Jung-ho Kang (32) — $5.5MM club option with a $250K buyout
Jed Lowrie (35)
Manny Machado (26)
Mike Moustakas (30) — $15MM mutual option with a $1MM buyout
Eduardo Nuñez (32) — $4MM player option with a $2MM buyout
Jose Reyes (36)
Andrew Romine (33)
Pablo Sandoval (32)
Luis Valbuena (33) — $8.5MM mutual option with a $500K buyout

I honestly don't think any of these players make sense for this team, bu I could completely see them overspending on Marwin Gonzalez. They should put Mountcastle at 3B and only sign a SS if they think Beckham can't handle it (I have my doubts). And even then it should just be a one year fill in because none of these players are worth multi-year deals. I'm assuming Andrus won't opt out. 

48 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jones also wants a job.

The O's have a history of bringing back guys the rest of the league isn't interested in, folks like Reimold, Trumbo, Alvarez and Tillman.

If Jones doesn't pick it up real quick the O's might be the only ML offer he gets.

I think he's all but gone. He's been posting cryptic messages on Twitter for the better part of a year. Some contender will give him a 3 - 4 year deal so he can chase that WS ring. 

Just now, wildbillhiccup said:

I think he's all but gone. He's been posting cryptic messages on Twitter for the better part of a year. Some contender will give him a 3 - 4 year deal so he can chase that WS ring. 

I don't think Jones rates a three or four year deal at this point.

I think teams are less likely to give out those types of deals now than any time since the advent of free agency (barring collusion).

I'll be shocked if a contender locks up Jones for his 33-35(36) seasons.

13 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Aint nobody going to give the worst defensive CF'er in baseball, and a league average hitter a 3-4 year deal.

Adam will be very lucky to get 2/20, I think more likely 2/15 at best

Like most O's he's just not very good, and not a complete player

55 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Jones rates a three or four year deal at this point.

I think teams are less likely to give out those types of deals now than any time since the advent of free agency (barring collusion).

I'll be shocked if a contender locks up Jones for his 33-35(36) seasons.

Fair enough. Maybe a 2 year deal then. Someone will sign him for his "veteran leadership".  

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I honestly don't think any of these players make sense for this team, bu I could completely see them overspending on Marwin Gonzalez. They should put Mountcastle at 3B and only sign a SS if they think Beckham can't handle it (I have my doubts). And even then it should just be a one year fill in because none of these players are worth multi-year deals. I'm assuming Andrus won't opt out. 

I doubt Mountcastle can play 3B any better than Valencia.

13 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I doubt Mountcastle can play 3B any better than Valencia.

You missed my general point. This team isn't going to contend next season so signing an aging veteran makes very little sense. Can Mountcastle stick at 3B? Maybe / maybe not, but next year is the year we need to find out. Play the young kids in 2019, see who sticks, then re-evaluate needs after the season. 

Archived