Here's the Top 100 prospects in Baseball. Who could we land at the deadline without giving up Bundy or Trey?

FanSince88

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/2018-fantasy-baseball-top-100-prospects-ronald-acuna-proving-his-worth-in-spring/

Everyone on this roster besides Mancini or Bundy would be on the table.  Obviously I wouldn't want to trade any of our prospects who haven't even reached the big leagues yet, or Hays.  

If you were willing to trade Bundy or Mancini, what would it take to do that?  I don't think any one team could offer me a package of prospects that would make deading Trey or Dylan worth it at this point.  Not with 3 and 4 respective years of team control remaining after 2018.  

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not trading Bundy or Mancini... because they're basically the kinds of players we'd be looking to get in return. 

I'd keep all my starting pitching, other than Tillman, who should retire. That way, you lock up a rotation of Bundy, Cobb, Cashner, Gausman and Harvey for years.  

I'd then try to trade Manny-plus-prospects to NY for Gleybar Torres. That'd give them a huge boost in their chase with Boston... put Manny in NY ahead of free agency... and give us a potential Manny-like player in return, who's ready to start at the MLB level now. How could the Orioles not love that deal? Other than having Manny torture us with his brilliance for the next decade, of course. 

It would take a lot for me to want to trade Bundy, Mancini or Schoop.  IMO, with Manny having one foot out the door, Schoop is the guy they should focus on locking up.   I think everyone else is up for getting traded though.

The whole thing with the armchair GM on a message board is that they constantly want to sell low.  There's no one out there that's going to take Davis without the Orioles covering a ton of the salary.  And even if they did, you can bet that this hypothetical trade is more looked at as the Orioles getting out from under that contract as best as they can and opening up some roster flexibility.  

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for Davis.

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for Trumbo.

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for O'Day.

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for Britton.  Well, maybe.  

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for Jones.

Because...well, why should they? 

Put yourself in another GMs shoes, remove emotion from the situation and look at the O's roster and tell me who you'd give up top prospects for outside of Manny, Schoop, Bundy and Mancini.  Three of those guys the Orioles will probably want to hold on to in order to build around.

The OH Armchair GM collective does a masterful job of trashing the problems with the team and then wanting to turn around and work on hypothetical trades for players they were just dissing 5 minutes earlier.  I've never seen anything quite like it before.

When I look at that list and think of trades...trades only mask the number one overall for the Orioles that has been their problem for well over two decades now.  The Orioles can't draft and develop their own talent enough, consistently.  I wasn't looking at the names of the players, I was looking at the teams they're affiliated with.  Blue Jays, Rockies.  Braves.

So we can sit here and talk about cockamamie reasons why a team would trade someone in their top 10 prospect list for Chris Davis when there's no reason why they should.  Again, no reason to trade for Trumbo, O'Day, Britton or Jones.  Those guys are declining assets on their best day.  

The Orioles need to figure out how to draft and develop top 100 talent instead of worrying about how to shed their albatross contracts for other teams top 100 talent.  The former would be so much easier than the latter.

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It would take a lot for me to want to trade Bundy, Mancini or Schoop.  IMO, with Manny having one foot out the door, Schoop is the guy they should focus on locking up.   I think everyone else is up for getting traded though.

The whole thing with the armchair GM on a message board is that they constantly want to sell low.  There's no one out there that's going to take Davis without the Orioles covering a ton of the salary.  And even if they did, you can bet that this hypothetical trade is more looked at as the Orioles getting out from under that contract as best as they can and opening up some roster flexibility.  

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for Davis.

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for Trumbo.

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for O'Day.

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for Britton.  Well, maybe.  

Not one team is going to give anything of value back for Jones.

Because...well, why should they? 

Put yourself in another GMs shoes, remove emotion from the situation and look at the O's roster and tell me who you'd give up top prospects for outside of Manny, Schoop, Bundy and Mancini.  Three of those guys the Orioles will probably want to hold on to in order to build around.

The OH Armchair GM collective does a masterful job of trashing the problems with the team and then wanting to turn around and work on hypothetical trades for players they were just dissing 5 minutes earlier.  I've never seen anything quite like it before.

When I look at that list and think of trades...trades only mask the number one overall for the Orioles that has been their problem for well over two decades now.  The Orioles can't draft and develop their own talent enough, consistently.  I wasn't looking at the names of the players, I was looking at the teams they're affiliated with.  Blue Jays, Rockies.  Braves.

So we can sit here and talk about cockamamie reasons why a team would trade someone in their top 10 prospect list for Chris Davis when there's no reason why they should.  Again, no reason to trade for Trumbo, O'Day, Britton or Jones.  Those guys are declining assets on their best day.  

The Orioles need to figure out how to draft and develop top 100 talent instead of worrying about how to shed their albatross contracts for other teams top 100 talent.  The former would be so much easier than the latter.

I'd consider giving up a guy in the bottom half of the top 100 for Givens or Sisco.  I don't think Givens has just lost it at 28.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'd consider giving up a guy in the bottom half of the top 100 for Givens or Sisco.  I don't think Givens has just lost it at 28.

I'd agree.  But the Orioles probably want to hold on to Cisco, too. We should add him to the list of relative untouchables.  

The Orioles pissed all over themselves by not trading any of their players at near peak level.  So when they come to any negotiating table with any other team, there's no position of strength to start negotiating from.  

Any other GM will look at the Orioles situation and probably say something like "Well, I'll consider Trumbo if you eat 75% of the salary and you can have two of my prospects outside of my top 20 list because...well, I'd be doing you a favor and hoping that Trumbo could use a change of scenery and our hitting instructors might be able to get him back to a .260 .320 guy with some power, but that's a gamble on our end."

1 minute ago, paulcoates said:

Why do you think Jones has zero value at the deadline?  Expiring deal and a steady veteran with the bat

Wait, you think he has value? Hahahahahaha that's hilaroius. An aging player who is terrible at the plate with no plate discipline, abysmal speed, a terrible outfielder, and whose contract is expiring has trade value?

These top 100 prospects are the players that baseball executives today are valuing the most.  I doubt we can get anyone on this list right now with any combination of players the Orioles would be willing to trade.

What the Orioles need to do is figure out a way to get out from under Chris Davis' contract.   It will be difficult for the Orioles to compete as a mid-market team in the next few years giving up with a 10-15% team payroll handicap that the guaranteed money for Davis represents.  We don't have the young, good cheap players to make up for this big handicap.

I'd be willing to trade Bundy to any team who would take Chris Davis, and get little or nothing in return.  It will be difficult for the Orioles over the next 3-4 years anyway, so Bundy's prime years aren't going to make us a contender by himself anyway.  Better to bite the bullet now, and take the pain associated with Chris Davis' contract as soon as you can.

1 minute ago, paulcoates said:

Why do you think Jones has zero value at the deadline?  Expiring deal and a steady veteran with the bat

Because he's not the defender that he once was.  He hasn't had an OPS over .800 since 2013.  

Don't get me wrong, I love Jones but he's not exactly on the upswing of his career.  I think if we were to deal him we would get some middling prospects back but not anyone we could view as core guys.  Certainly guys on the lower end of the 100 list and probably more likely outside of the 100 list.

Remember, the Orioles aren't the only game in town, either.  We act like we're the only fans that would like to trade some of our players.  Is Jones going to be the only outfielder on the block come the deadline?  Probably not.  Are there players that'll be on the block that are younger, better and have more upside?  Remains to be seen.  

2 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Wait, you think he has value? Hahahahahaha that's hilaroius. An aging player who is terrible at the plate with no plate discipline, abysmal speed, a terrible outfielder, and whose contract is expiring has trade value?

You forgot about his 10/5 no trade protection.

Archived