Time to start DFA people

atomic

4 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Brooks is a legend.  He wasn't an asset to the team his last couple of years.  He would tell you as much himself.

I honestly think the team would have been better off so far this year with Mullins up instead of Jones.  At least Mullins has a plus glove.

Jones has been poor this year and I'll keep saying it as long as it's true.

Downvote me all you want.

I’d argue he’s been poor defensively longer than just this year. I applauded him at least playing deeper, but it didn’t help. He should have already been moved to a corner OF spot. 

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

Out

Tillman
Wright
Joseph
Alvarez
Valencia
Gentry

In

Ramirez
Hess
Yacabonis
Wynns or Susac
DJ Stewart
Hays

Mostly agree with this, but I would hang on to Pedro Alvarez (we're starving for LHB), keep Stewart and Hays at AAA for now, and give Rickard another shot.  Then, when Santander's fulfilled his Rule V obligation, bring up one of Stewart/Mullins/Hays.  

My patience with Beckham is wearing thin, but I'm not sure we have anyone who can do better and we might as well let the year play out with him.  We really need to stock up on infielders, even if we do miraculously bring back Manny.  

6 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’d argue he’s been poor defensively longer than just this year. I applauded him at least playing deeper, but it didn’t help. He should have already been moved to a corner OF spot. 

He has, but his defensive decline has appeared to have accelerated. 

11 minutes ago, TouchemAll said:

As far as I am concerned with throwing out three guys the other day Sisco is ready. IMHO he should get the lions share of the job. Joseph is a backup

Definitely Joseph should be a backup.  But I'm not sure if it makes much sense to have a 32 year old backup catcher when we have a 28 and 27 year old in AAA who could probably fill that role competently too.  It seems like we're mortgaging the development of Wynns or Susac out of misguided loyalty to Joseph.  Plus, if I'm not mistaken, Joseph should have options remaining, so it's not like we'd expose him to waivers before he got sent down. 

9 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

I’m not sure Araujo should remain. He had one good high profile outing vs the Yankees, but he’s looked like a deer in the headlights ever since. Decent stuff but seems out of his depth.

He hasn’t been any worse than Givens or Brach

6 hours ago, TINSTAAPP said:

The dislike for Gentry reminds me of the irrational hatred this board had against Flaherty for years. Now Flaherty's gone and the infield defense has been a disaster since Schoop went down because this team doesn't have a competent utility infielder. 

Exactly.  The roster is 25 men for a reason, and not all of those guys are superstars.  They all have roles to play.  I do think we need a bit more offense out of the fourth outfielder though, because Santander and Gentry doesn't cut it in RF, but that's not a reason to take a shot at Gentry.  All teams who want to compete have a guy like him who excels as a pinch runner and in the field. 

7 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

Exactly.  The roster is 25 men for a reason, and not all of those guys are superstars.  They all have roles to play.  I do think we need a bit more offense out of the fourth outfielder though, because Santander and Gentry doesn't cut it in RF, but that's not a reason to take a shot at Gentry.  All teams who want to compete have a guy like him who excels as a pinch runner and in the field. 

If Gentry was 10 years younger and just breaking into the league, I'm sure most would be ok with his .439 OPS.

11 minutes ago, ThomasTomasz said:

But the problem is we already have a version of Gentry who is 8 years younger and may actually have a future in the MLB past this season.  His name is Joey Rickard.  No, he won't ever be an all star but he could be a useful piece.  He was a useful piece last year.  What is Gentry offering that Rickard can't offer?  

39 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

But the problem is we already have a version of Gentry who is 8 years younger and may actually have a future in the MLB past this season.  His name is Joey Rickard.  No, he won't ever be an all star but he could be a useful piece.  He was a useful piece last year.  What is Gentry offering that Rickard can't offer?  

I agree with you on this one.  That would be up to Showalter to answer.  If I recall correctly last year, Rickard's RF defense graded out near the top of the league.  

Archived