1988 An interesting (and painful) read

Yossarian

• 5 months later...

Richard Justice, MLB.com

Terry Kennedy, a catcher with the 1988 Orioles—you know them as the 0-21 1988 Orioles—had just finished his interview for an MLB Network documentary on the team when I showed up at the Valley Ho Hotel in Scottsdale, Arizona last spring and settled into the chair he’d just occupied.

I noticed a folded towel on the floor in front of the chair.

“Do you want me to put my feet on this towel,” I asked a producer.

“When (Kennedy) started reliving that season, he would start pounding the floor with his feet,” the producer said. “We put the towel down there so the sound wouldn’t be picked up by the cameras.”

Months later, I asked Kennedy, a scout for the Cubs, about this.

“Yeah,” he said, “that’s something you don’t get over.”

Fred Lynn, the centerfielder, told the filmmakers that this was his first interview about 1988, and that it would be his last.

Such is the pain still associated with a baseball team that had maybe the most embarrassing three weeks ever.

0-21.

Think about that. Roll it over in your mind. 0-21 does not happen. Ever. It can’t. It did. These Orioles were not tanking. On Opening Day, they believed they would be competitive.

The Athletic  - https://theathletic.com/579405/2018/10/10/the-worst-team-i-ever-covered-mlb-writers-on-a-reggie-jacksons-threats-a-super-soaker-full-of-bleach-and-mr-f-cking-popularity/

Archived