Who's most to blame for this mess?

now

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who's most to blame for this mess?

• Peter
    • John and Lou
    • Brady
    • Dan
    • Buck
    • McDowell / Coolbaugh
    • Drafting and Scouting
    • Player Development
    • The Players
    • All of the above

Multiple answers are possible. Let's start from the top... 

• Peter - puppet master, or out to pasture?
  • John and Lou - new stripes or same tiger?
  • Brady - responsible for recent crash?
  • Dan - lame duck, hands tied, or incompetent?
  • Buck - does the buck stop here... Britton his achilles heel?
  • McDowell / Coolbaugh - scapegoats, or judge by results?
  • Drafting and Scouting - bust after bust
  • Player Development - or, player destruction?
  • The Players - just not that talented?

I'll go with all of the above.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you're going this bad, I'm not sure how the answer could be anything other than all of the above.

The only thing I'll say is that I think they've done a decent job of drafting/scouting.  They haven't been world-beaters but the results have been OK given the resources they have.  I'm not sure how you could describe the recent drafting as "bust after bust".

It is the owner and there is not a close second. Quality organizations are lead by strong leaders who set the tone. The dysfunction lies with the man with the most power. We can sit here and critique the FO and manager but at the end of the day what is really the Orioles identity? 

Under Angelos they have never really figured out who they are and plan accordingly. It seems to be a year to year evaluation with little to no long term thoughts in mind. 

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

When you're going this bad, I'm not sure how the answer could be anything other than all of the above.

The only thing I'll say is that I think they've done a decent job of drafting/scouting.  They haven't been world-beaters but the results have been OK given the resources they have.  I'm not sure how you could describe the recent drafting as "bust after bust".

We lack scouts.

We do not spend in the International market  

Trade of relief pitcher last year is blocked for whatever reason.

We can sit here and be critical of any individual move we want to. That said while the club has been winning and therefore has not had Top 5 picks how exactly are you suppose to add young talent back into the system?  

I do agree with you that we seem to be getting the most out of what we have invested   

A fish rots from the head.    I’d blame the GM if the GM clearly had the authority to make the decisions and screwed them up.   But that’s not the case, and so the blame goes to the guy who can’t run an organization with a normal chain of command.   (By the way, I’m not absolving Duquette of blame, either.    He’s made plenty of bad decisions.   But not all the decisions were his, apparently.)

I blame it on Peter because he had never allowed them to sign any of the  Latin American players, if you look at many of other teams , alot of there top prospects and major league players are from the Latin America, especially from the Domincian

4 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I do agree with you that we seem to be getting the most out of what we have invested   

Sure - but that was the whole point.  I agree we should be investing more in drafting/scouting, particularly in the international market.  We've also given away a lot of draft picks to sign mediocre players.  So given all of that, and the fact that the team actually has been pretty good the past years and we've lacked high draft picks, I think the scouting/drafting department has done an acceptable job.

I respect that Brady loves baseball and the Orioles and has a skill set that can help in some areas. 

That said why in the world does he wield the power that he does and why is his name even thought of as a future GM?  You are telling me that another team in baseball would have him doing the job he is here elsewhere? Is another team going to want him as a GM? 

I am sure other teams have their levels of dysfunction as well but that does not make it ok here. We are already at a competitive disadvantage playing in this division. 

The thing is I don’t blame Brady for this, I blame the owner. I really wonder if Angelos’ disgust with Duquette wasn’t taken advantage of by others trying to fill the void for their own selfish gain.  

This really is not that complicated. You build an organization inside out. Around here it is all backwards.  

I blame the Angelos family most for not having clear and established roles. 

Who is making personnel decisions? Is it Buck, is it Brady, is it DD? It's maddening. 

Like, I blame Brady for Tillman. I blame Buck for Davis. I blame DD for Ubaldo, Bud Norris, etc. 

So, the end came 1 season sooner than we expected. 

It is not time, like right now, to start trading guys and acquiring younger, cheaper players. There is no sense in trying to turn the ship around and getting like the 8th pick in the draft. For a team that spends $0 on international prospects and depends almost entirely on the amateur draft, we need to get the #1, 2, or 3 pick and subsequently the highest pick possible in the 2nd round, etc.  The blueprint for the Orioles is in Houston. 

Archived