I can no longer read interviews with O's officials, players or Buck

mdbdotcom

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

I like Buck,and I consider him a friend. I know he's a great baseball man and a quality person, but you wonder if he too is in jeopardy with his job or will he be kicked upstairs.I do know he insisted on re-signing Davis and Trumbo and has not led any team of his to a World Series. Would you be upset if Buck was fired? I would feel for him, but I wouldn't say he was treated unjustly if that happened.He may just retire. No Oriole team will be in the playoffs going forward for anytime soon....

I truly thank Buck for his tenure.  He is an excellent baseball guy and was perfect for the period he was here.  But things have changed and a drastic rebuild is coming, one way or another.  I do not think Buck is the best choice as manager for a rebuilding period, where trying lots of untried rookies, frequent deals, and a lot of losing will be the order of the day.  Buck has done well with this veteran group and does great with a consistent core but that situation is over for the near future. 

Plus I think it is just time for a change after two last place seasons. . 

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

My only concern about firing Buck is who would be hired (and who would be involved in the hiring decision). We will have some talented young guys hitting the MLs over the next year or two, and we need a manager who is patient and works well with inexperienced players. If Buck is fired, I expect that the new manager will be selected by the Angeloses and Brady, and I have no confidence in their judgment.

Like anyone could do worse.   But a new GM is in order as well as kicking Brady to the curb.   

1 hour ago, amdcpus said:

I'm cautiously optimistic about Davis. He's looked a lot better at the plate after being benched 3 days to work with the hitting coach.

I'll take the larger sample size of all of last year plus what he has (or hasn't) accomplished this year. But a 3 game hitting streak is absolutely a positive sign. I still think he stinks.

I loved the Duquette "we're still evaluating the team" gem from last week re: trading Manny.

I get that you don't really want to make a public statement on your position right now, but could you learn how to say the words "no comment," or a paraphrasing of it please?  Thanks!

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Really, what are they going to say?

I’m actually finding it really hard to read the OH board right now.   So much negativity, and the thing is, it’s completely warranted at the moment.    But I don’t know that it’s a good use of my time wallowing in it.

This.  Buck is obligated to give a post-game presser.  He can only say so much - he's not going to embarrass, shame, or throw players under the bus, no matter how much fans would like it.  Nor should he.

Just now, esmd said:

This.  Buck is obligated to give a post-game presser.  He can only say so much - he's not going to embarrass, shame, or throw players under the bus, no matter how much fans would like it.  Nor should he.

Depends on the player now doesn't it?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Depends on the player now doesn't it?

No, it doesn't.  Unless you're talking about Mountcastle, who apparently needed some tough love.  That's the first time I can recall him going public, and I think he only did it because he's a minor leaguer and he calculated that the kid needed a fire lit under him.  I doubt he'd do it to anyone on the big league roster, especially now.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

I truly thank Buck for his tenure.  He is an excellent baseball guy and was perfect for the period he was here.  But things have changed and a drastic rebuild is coming, one way or another.  I do not think Buck is the best choice as manager for a rebuilding period, where trying lots of untried rookies, frequent deals, and a lot of losing will be the order of the day.  Buck has done well with this veteran group and does great with a consistent core but that situation is over for the near future. 

+1. Well said.

5 minutes ago, esmd said:

No, it doesn't.  Unless you're talking about Mountcastle, who apparently needed some tough love.  That's the first time I can recall him going public, and I think he only did it because he's a minor leaguer and he calculated that the kid needed a fire lit under him.  I doubt he'd do it to anyone on the big league roster, especially now.

I'm not interested in having this whole discussion again and I'm sure no one else does either.

But he intentionally embarrassed Kim.

If Buck wants something  he is capable of embarrassing and shaming his players.

BTW, I just LOVE how you are fine with excusing the behavior if it is targeting a minor leaguer instead of someone like Davis.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Like anyone could do worse.   But a new GM is in order as well as kicking Brady to the curb.   

I listening to TheFan about two hours ago. Terry Ford was talking up Brady for GM. He was making sense about a rebuild and what it takes until he mentioned him.  My eyes nearly rolled back in my head. Please, no.

I don't recall what he said about Kim, although it was obvious he wasn't enamored with him.  As far as major leaguer vs minor leaguer, he was trying to teach Mountcastle, who is still developing.  Maybe Mountcastle improves his plate discipline and becomes a better player for it.  What's it going to accomplish by humiliating Davis?  It's not like he wants to suck.  And all that would do is lose him the clubhouse.

So yeah, I don't have a problem with it, you can love or not love it all you want.

3 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I like Buck,and I consider him a friend. I know he's a great baseball man and a quality person, but you wonder if he too is in jeopardy with his job or will he be kicked upstairs.I do know he insisted on re-signing Davis and Trumbo and has not led any team of his to a World Series. Would you be upset if Buck was fired? I would feel for him, but I wouldn't say he was treated unjustly if that happened.He may just retire. No Oriole team will be in the playoffs going forward for anytime soon....

I’d feel bad for the manager who inherited this mess because he’d b a dead man walking. This team is really bad.

2 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Funny. The Yanks,  Rangers, and D’Backs all probably  issued similar statements after a few years.

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I’d feel bad for the manager who inherited this mess because he’d b a dead man walking. This team is really bad.

I think anyone looking at the job should just assume they will be fired within a couple of years.

Archived